Dream Theater WDADU 15th Anniversary DVD

Discussion in 'Music' started by Brian Perry, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

For the past day or so I've been immersed in the latest releases by "Ytsejam Records" (DT's official bootleg label): Images and Words - Demos and a fantastic DVD celebrating the 15th anniversary of When Dream and Day Unite, which was DT's first album.

The main part of the DVD covers a show in March 2004 where DT played WDADU in its entirety. For the encore, they invited former lead singer Charlie Dominici and former keyboardist Derek Sherinian to play two songs, including Metropolis Part 1. While the concert is definitely a treat, the real gems are the bonus features. There is a 70-minute documentary from the Portnoy archives, recounting the album song by song through interviews and live footage circa 1988. And all five current members of DT provide a commentary track on the entire concert.

One of my favorite exchanges:

Portnoy: "Notice Jordan [Rudess] is playing both parts at the same time...something Kevin [Moore, DT's founding keyboardist] never did."

Rudess: (modestly) "The miracle of a split keyboard."

Portnoy: "No, it's the miracle of Jordan Rudess."

Even though it sounded as though Portnoy was taking a shot at Kevin Moore, he really wasn't. There is great respect--even affection--for the former members, including Dominici (who they said was just the wrong singer for the band's style of music). The funny thing is, there are certain songs where I prefer his voice over LaBrie's. It is cool to see them both sing Metropolis, alternating some lines and singing harmonies on others.

For any DT fan, this DVD is a must buy. Highly recommended!

One other DT tidbit. They just finished recording their latest studio album (due out in May) at The Hit Factory, the famous NY recording studio that just went out of business. In fact, DT's album was the very last album recorded there. The first was Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life, some 30 years ago.

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Sounds cool.
    I don't really dig WDADU, so I'll pass. But I'll be getting their new album and hope it's a step up from their last two.

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Zowie! Didn't know about that one. I'll have to pick it up.

I've gotta disagree with Mike -- their last two albums are their best material since Images & Words (and their last DVD was IMO the music DVD of the year for 2004). More of the same direction, please!

Nobody beats DT when it comes to DVD releases. From remixing both of their old videos and releasing them together on the cheap to including singalong subtitles on Budokan, they sure know how to do it.

He was much older than the other band members too, wasn't he?

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Well, my tastes have changed in the past couple of years, and I don't really listen to a lot of metal and prog. I think I've heard just about every guitar note, solo, slide, weedly-weedly-wee sound, string bending shredding I could need to hear for the rest of my life.

There are a handful of rock/metal acts that I still care for, Dream Theater being one of them, because their songwriting is actually really good, and yes, of course the performance. Awake and Falling Into Infinity are the hight points for me, while Metropolis is so over the top thematically that it's endlessly entertaining and I absolutely love it.

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence I'm ambivalent about. I cringe at the stem cell song- not for any political reason, but because it's awkward lyrically and musically, like Yes doing Don't Kill the Whales *shudder* I guess I like the second disc better.

Their latest, Train of something or other, is kind of wanky. Some decent riffs with silly lyrics and a lot of noodling. Not terrible, but just not as good as what their capable of. But Portnoy said it would be an all-out metal album, and I guess that's what we got.

My hopes are that they got all of that stuff out of their system and have been doing some composing.
    I like Jordan Rudess and the guy knows how to use different sounds in conjunction to the standard piano/organ stuff. I wish they'd use that outside of his little techno solos.

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    You can never hear too many weedly-weedly-wee sounds. [​IMG]

It wouldn't surprise me at all. Look at the last 4 studio albums -- each is completely different from the previous one. Variety is the spice of life!

6. Chris Stainton

Chris Stainton Second Unit

I agree completely. Not too often do I read that someone likes Falling Into Infinity but I think it is a great album. I for one wish they would have an outside producer again. Everything after FII was just too over the top for my tastes. I never have been a big fan of Petrucci's robotic playing, and I wish someone would tell him to save it for the stage.

Oh yeah, "Don't Kill The Whale" is a beautiful song with a powerful message.

7. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Brian,

The Ytsejam site shows the DVD as preorder. Did you preorder and get yours early?

8. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I believe so...he definitely looks older than them now. They mentioned he hasn't been singing at all for the past 15 years and in fact was working at a car dealership (talk about the polar opposite from a touring rock musician). Portnoy mentioned that getting on stage again made Dominici want to get back into singing, even if only part time.

For those who didn't care for the original WDADU, you may like this concert anyway, as LaBrie sings all the songs (so it sounds more like the current "DT sound"). Also, one thing that came up in the commentary was that during the period around WDADU, John Myung played much more lead on his bass. They made a conscious decision after that to have him play more of a traditional rhythm feel, which helped them create a better foundation with Portnoy's drums.

9. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

You're killing me! [​IMG] I'm a huge Petrucci fan (his solo disc is en route). There are a couple things he does a little too often that I don't care for, but he has a tremendous amount of depth. When he plays slow and grooves I want to cry. For a completely different JP experience check out his solo disc with Jordan. It's incredible.

I'm off to order those boots now. Thanks for the heads up. [​IMG]

10. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

11. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

While I don't think FII is the greatest album in the world, it does feature some of their best songwriting. I still think "Lines In The Sand" is the best song that they have ever done. For a 12 minute song, it is quite economical in its structure. I'm also a big fan of "New Millenium", "Take Away My Pain" and "Trial Of Tears".

What hurts it is that they didn't choose songs well for that album. It is tough knowing that quite a few of the songs that were left off the album, are actually much better than some of the songs that actually made the album. I also think "Peruvian Skies" is a flawed gem that kinda gets ruined by the ending.

I can understand a bit of the critisism of Petrucci's playing as of late. Ever since LTE, it just feels like he's been more about technique than feel. A lot of his early solos really drip with feeling and emotion. Lately, it has been a lot of technical noodling. To be honest, I don't fine much of his later DT work to be all that memorable. Pretty sad since I think he has it all as a guitarist.

Jason

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I agree. I do like the first Liquid Tension album because it has a bit of humor and melody surrounding the playing, presenting in a nice package. The sequel was when they started getting formulaic.

The Rudess/Jordan album leaves me cold, which is odd since I usually very much admire both players. I'll have to listen to it again.

I think part of it is as Jason said about Petrucci's playing, but also I think my tastes are just changing.

13. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

Wow. So much hation on Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. IMHO, Six Degrees is the most ambitious and best-realized prog rock album I've heard since Going for the One. I can't get enough of it. Perfect mix of chunk, meedly-mee, structure, and melody.

14. Chris Stainton

Chris Stainton Second Unit

He has always been a technically brilliant guitar player. He just, for my tastes, lacks passion and emotion. It is probably due to the fact that I am older and more mellow now. Although when I first heard them back in the early 90's when I was in my 20's, I still didn't really care for him. I prefer players who play from the heart. Steve Rothery is by far my favorite current player.

15. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

It's still there when he slows down. One of my favorite concert guitar solos of all time is his off of the Live in Tokyo DVD. Not unaccompanied, but rather playing within the context of the band (with a really fantastic, sparkly tone going where you can here the steel and the wood). Likewise some of the stuff he plays on his instructional video makes me weep. He's definitely gone more towards the high speed over the years (not that it's a bad thing, but it can be abused).

16. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

As Jay said, I've certainly seen JP play with emotion. Problem is, he's gotten too deep in the technical stuff lately.

Jason

17. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

OT for a minute:

I got the Live at Budokan DVD and unfortunately, it's the one with the audio glitch. I sent the email to Rhino to try and get a replacement but haven't receieved it yet. It's been 2 1/2 months.

Have any of you had to get the replacement and if so, how long did it take?

TIA

18. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

I have only one album of DT and that is Change of Seasons. I remember my roomate telling me about this song he heard from one of his friends and that I should hear it.

It was the title track and I didn't know that it was 23 minutes long! I couldn't believe how varied the song was. I still pop it in once in a while and marvel at how good of a song it is.

What do you guys think of it and what other albums by DT would you recommend I listen to?

19. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

All of them. [​IMG] I think Images and Words is their finest album. It has a little bit of everything. The follow up, Awake, is equally amazing but moves into heavier textures and is very intricate. It's a workout to listen to. Change of Seasons was next. I love Falling Into Infinity but didn't get much critical acclaim. It's a bit of a departure, more accessible some might say. But there's some incredible stuff on it and still one of my favorites. Their opus is Metropolis Part II: Scenes From a Memory which is a concept album that picks up where the song Metropolis Part I (from Images and Words) leaves off. Personally I never got into this album and was never a fan of the lyrical content - seemed to be rambling on. But there are some huge moments there, particularly where you here musical references to the original Metropolis (regarded by many as Dream Theater's signature song). This is also the first album with Jordan Rudess on keyboards, who John (Petrucci, guitar player) and Mike (Portnoy, drummer extraordinaire) played with on the two Liquid Tension Experiment albums (unreal, along with Tony Levin on bass/stick).

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is a two-disc marathon with five songs on disc one and a whopping one song on disc two. Again great stuff, with Glass Prison a really mindblowing album opener, but didn't meet much critical acclaim. Their latest is Train of Thought which is uber-heavy and pretty non-stop. Not as progressive as their other stuff in my opinion - the songs seem to have more of a rigid structure - but lots of fun to listen to.

If you like Change of Seasons then you should enjoy the earlier stuff from Images and Words and Awake. Following Change of Seasons there's a different vibe going on but that's not a bad thing. The only other disc I've not included is their first (When Dream and Day Unite) that I've never gotten into. Still good stuff though, just a little more generic to my ears. Petrucci was on a pretty big Malmsteen high at that point.

If you want to see what these guys are about then their Live at Budokan DVD is simply amazing. Great cross-section of their work with excellent audio and video as well as behind-the-scenes footage. Just a tremendous live disc. If you play guitar then Petrucci's instructional video is required. There's lots of spinoff projects by those guys as well that are great. If you're a fan of Change of Seasons you can see them play it complete as an extra on the Scenes From New York live DVD.

20. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>I think most of the people (myself included) who posted about this in the original Budokan thread received their replacement from the original batch. It was at least a month if I recall, possibly longer. But they definitely looked after us.