What's new

Downfiring vs. Frontfiring subs. I looked at the discussions, but I'm not convinced.. (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Hi,
I've been looking at the discussions about frontfiring vs. downfiring subwoofers, and the article at AdireAudio.com about sag of drivers measured as a percentage of Xmax and the possibility of mounting one that way.
Even if my drivers look very cool :) I'd still like to mount them in a downfiring configuration, just so that curious hands or pets won't damage them. Still, from a logical point of view, I find the following situations.
1) Gravity. I'd think a subwoofer would need to use a lot more energy in pulling a subwoofer's cone up than from side to side.
2) Impact. I'd assume that the soundwave that emanates from a front-firing subwoofer "hits" you harder than a sonic wave that hits the floor first and then sends the vibrations on all directions.
3) Accuracy. A front firing sub, IMHO, should be more accurate, since the soundwave travels to you directly. I'd think some kind of distortion is added if the sub fires downward first.
Still, *all* of Adire's designs are downfiring... and all Sonotubes are downfiring... so something must be *right* about it.
If I decide to mount my subs in a downfiring position (I checked their specs against Adire's recommendation, and they have around 3% sag vs. Xmax, so I'm ok), what should I do to be assured of accurate sound? Mount maybe a panel of MDF 4" underneath the driver? Would that be overkill? Should I only space the driver from the floor by 4"?
Thanks for your help!

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
all theory aside...there are many companies that make great subs with front firing and down firing subs...

just get the one that sounds the best to you....simple

Pete Gia

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 10" acoustic suspension (sealed-box) sub. My goal was to simply add a little more low-end "kick" to my setup,but not necessarily shake the walls. I tried it first front firing,but it was much better down-firing. This is a tough question because every room is different,that is to say,my sub may sound better in your room front-firing. Good Luck, Pete

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I agree with RussKon: a great quality sub can be made either way.

Kind of like DD vs DTS (uh oh): there *may* be some intrinsic benefits to one codec over the other, but the bottom line is in how it is mixed.

In other words, it is how the technology is *applied* that counts, and not as much the technology itself that matters.

I believe that it is the same with front vs down-firing subs.

SVS makes great subs. So does Velodyne.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks