What's new

Downconvert Component Video to SVideo? (1 Viewer)

DanThomas

Agent
OK, don't everyone try to kill me at once :D I am getting a HD DVR from my cable company (Adelphia) this Saturday. Let's say I want to hook up the DVR to my HDTV via component inputs (let's pretend that I'm not going to use the HDMI connection for the purposes of this discussion). I have a TV in another room that I may want to route the DVR's signal to also. The TV in the other room only supports svideo, not component video.

I was hoping I could somehow split the component video output from the DVR, sending one side of the split to my HDTV, and the other side through something that would convert it to svideo, which I would route to the other TV.

Is this possible? My only other choice is to use the DVR's svideo output for everything, but I really don't want to use svideo to my HDTV if I can help it.

Am I screwed here, or is this possible at all?

-Dan

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
HD is only available over the component connection. Unless the cable DVR downconverts the HD to S-video SD (some do, some do not), you cannot use the S-video connection to view any HD channels.

As stated, you cannot use S-video for "everything" because this will defeat the purpose of getting HD in the first place. No component (or DVI/HDMI) = no HD.

Dean_S

Second Unit
I think I understand what you are trying to do and that's run an HD set off the component (or HDMI) output and an SD set in another room off the S-video (or composite). My question back to you is do you want to be able to watch both at the same time??? Some HD STBs will output to both HD and SD outputs at the same time, some won't. If it doesn't output both simultaniously then you will need to change a setting on the STB each time you wish switch back and forth, if it does support both then you are OK.

DanThomas

Agent
Dean -

Thanks for the comments. That's exactly what I was looking for. I get the DVR tomorrow, so I'll find out then what options it supports.

-Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks