What's new

DORIS DAY: VOLUME 2 on 4/10 (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
ON VIDEO is announcing DORIS DAY: VOLUME 2 for release on 4/10: "Romance on the High Seas," "My Dream is Yours," "On Moonlight Bay," "I'll See You in My Dreams," "By The Light of the Silvery Moon, " and "Lucky Me." Each film contains vintage cartoons and shorts and retails for $19.97 and $59.92 for the set. Conspicuously absent are IT'S A GREAT FEELING, TEA FOR TWO, THE WEST POINT STORY, APRIL IN PARIS, JULIE, WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT?, and a bonus dvd of STARLIFT? Maybe a Volume 3 for 08? I have noticed that the writing credits for TEA FOR TWO (which evolved from "No, No, Nanette") have been deliberately smudged out on VHS, LD, and on TCM showings. Does anyone know why?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Thanks for posting that Charles. I'm thrilled to have Romance on the High Seas and I'll See You In My Dreams especially.

I was at a function recently and talking to someone who is involved with getting Doris' films out on DVD with Warners and he told me that they are definitely all coming out on DVD. The West Point Story is going to be part of a Cagney set. He mentioned that Starlift will be out too, but didn't say in what manner. Perhaps with It's a Great Feeling in a sort of "Calvacade of Stars" type thing? I guess time will tell.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Wonderful news to start the new year. Good to know they put 6 films instead of the usual 5 that contais a box set. Of course, this one will be mine.

Corey

Screenwriter
Coming from Warner Bros. on April 10, 2007

The Doris Day Collection Volume 2 Six-disc set with "Romance on the High Seas," "By the Light of the Silvery Moon," "I'll See You in My Dreams," "Lucky Me," "My Dream Is Yours" and "On Moonlight Bay"; $59.92 or $19.97 each. (Warner).

* Romance on the High Seas (1948) Dir.: Michael Curtiz; Doris Day, Janis Paige, Don DeFore, Jack Carson. Extras: Classic Warner Bros. musical short "Let's Sing a Song From the Movies," classic Warner Bros. cartoon "I Taw a Putty Tat."

* My Dream Is Yours (1949) Dir.: Michael Curtiz; Doris Day, Jack Carson, Lee Bowman, Extras: Vintage Joe McDoakes comedy short "So You Want to be an Actor," Warner Bros. short "The Grass Is Always Greener," classic Warner Bros. cartoon "A Ham in a Role."

* I'll See You in My Dreams (1952) Dir.: Michael Curtiz; Doris Day, Danny Thomas, Extras: Vintage short "The Screen Director," classic Warner Bros. cartoon "Lovelorn Leghorn."

* On Moonlight Bay (1951) Doris Day, Gordon MacRae, Leon Ames, Rosemary De Camp, Billy Gray. Extras: Vintage Warner Bros. musical short "Let's Sing a Song About the Moonlight," classic Warner Bros. cartoon "A Hound for Trouble."

* By the Light of the Silvery Moon (1953) Doris Day, Gordon MacRae, Rosemary DeCamp, Mary Wickes, Billy Gray. Extras: Vintage Joe McDoakes comedy shorts "So You Want to Learn to Dance" and "So You Want a Television Set," Warner Bros. cartoon "From A to Z-Z-Z-Z."

* Lucky Me (1954) Doris Day, Robert Cummings, Phil Silvers, Eddie Foy Jr., Nancy Walker, Martha Hyer. Extras: Vintage Warner Bros. short "When the Talkies Were Young," Warner Bros. cartoon "Sandy Claws."

Corey

Screenwriter

That would be an awesome set:

It's A Great Feeling
Starlift
Hollywood Revue of 1929
Thank Your Lucky Stars
Hollywood Canteen
Thousands Cheer
Stage Door Canteen

Corey

Screenwriter
It's strange that April in Paris isn't in this set since it was recent nominee in the DVD Decision. I woul've rather had that film than Lucky Me, but I'll still be purchasing this one along with the first set.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I like the contents of the set just as it is. My wife and I are fans of at least five of the films. Maybe a Vol. 3 will have to happen eventually.

Corey

Screenwriter
Doris Day is probably one of the best classic female stars represented on dvd. I just ordered Vol 1.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have all of these already on laserdisc or DVD-Rs recorded off TCM, but it'll be great to have official DVD releases. I'm really glad the two Booth Tarkington films (ON MOONLIGHT BAY and BY THE LIGHT) are in the set. They belong together.

Corey

Screenwriter

they should do this more often, but when they have sequels or re-makes, they should put them together as a double feature.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I'll probably get this set because Scorsese raves about My Dream is Yours, but I've never seen it. Plus I'm happy that Lucky Me is being released - the more early CinemaScope the better.

John Skoda

Second Unit

I think I even saw this in the theater at AFI once, and the actual print was like that too, although I could be misremembering. What's smudged out is the credit acknowledging "No No Nanette" as its source.

Some legal issue, obviously. Maybe they changed the original so much they wanted to get out of paying for the rights to the stage vehicle (rather than just paying for the songs they used)?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Woo-hoo!! Love it!!! Between this, Fox's Doris releases on 1/30, the remaining seasons of her series and her last TV special coming from MPI, 2007 is gonna be a banner year for Doris on DVD!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Corey

Screenwriter
Lots of Doris!!! she deserves an Honorary Oscar an AFI Life Achievement award.

TonyDale

Second Unit
Doris Day has refused an Oscar on almost a yearly basis.
I wish that she'd change her mind this year. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks