What's new

DORIS DAY: VOLUME 2 on 4/10 (1 Viewer)

Corey

Screenwriter

Exactly. She probably doesn't want to attend the awards because she's been out the spotlight for 15 years, but they should still honor her and send it to her. I'm sure she would deeply appreciate it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
She accepted the Cecil B. DeMille Award from the Hollywood Foreign Press in the 1990s for her lifetime work, and I think she just doesn't want to go through this kind of retrospective again. She seemed very uncomfortable watching herself on the screen and having the audience around her reacting even in pleasure.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
There are 11 further titles of Doris Day's to be released.
They are:-
My Dream Is Yours
It's A Great Feeling
Tea for Two
The West Point Story
I'll See You In My Dreams
Starlift
April in Paris
Julie
The Tunnel of Love
The Ballad of Josie
Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?

Tea for Two and April in Paris are already out in region 2 and so is Midnight Lace.

Of the 11 unreleased titles, all but one are controlled by Warners (The Ballad of Josie-Universal), so a third and probable final boxset is likely either in 2008 or 2009, with the remaining titles appearing either in other star's sets (eg Cagney) or as stand-alone.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

? Are you referring to region 1 or region 2? The Ballad of Josie is available in region 2. It was released concurrent with Midnight Lace.

Here are the 10 remaining ones ones currently not available in Region 1 as of the 4/10/07 release of the 6 new WB films:

It's A Great Feeling
Tea for Two
The West Point Story
Starlift
April in Paris
Julie
The Tunnel of Love
Midnight Lace
The Ballad of Josie
Where Were You When the Lights Went Out

All are Warners except for Midnight Lace and The Ballad of Josie, which are Universal.

So between regions 1 and 2, only 6 films remain unreleased. Pretty good.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Doris is now in her 80s. She doesn't like to fly (which is why she's never gone to Washington to receive the Medal of Honor) and she lost her son within the last year or so. As Matt said, she's a humble person and after 50 years as a public figure I can see why she relishes her privacy and doesn't want to make public appearances anymore. The last national interview I remember her giving was after the death of her friend and co-star Ronald Reagan and she did a phone interview with one of the news channels discussing their friendship. That was 2 and a half years ago.

Corey

Screenwriter

Yeah I think its pretty good that she just has 10 Region 1 films left. Hopefully Universal follows Fox and Warners and releases Midnight Lace and The Ballad of Josie this year.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator

Well thanks for that John. I had no idea that Ballad of Josie had come out the same time in Region 2 as Midnight Lace. Just ordered it. Here's hoping both titles come out soon in region 1 for those that aren't set up for multi region.

So as you say as of April 2007 and the 2nd DD boxset from Warners, there are only 8 Warner controlled titles not available in region 1, which must surely mean a 3rd and final boxset plus a couple of other titles as stand-alones or in other star's boxsets.

What a turn-around! I seem to remember a couple of years ago, it was Calamity Jane plus maybe a couple of other titles on DVD from Doris Day, and that was it. It would appear that DD will be the first star to get all of his/her titles on DVD. Quite an achievement.

Just wondering does anyone know if "Young At Heart" is controlled in anyway by Warners? Because the current R1 Republic Pictures/Artisan issue isn't very good - cropped to full screen etc etc - I see that Universal released it in R2 - does anyone know if that is superior to the R1 version? I think I read somewhere that Warner's still own the actual print - can they release it or are there legal issues?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I would certainly love to get a better dvd of Young At Heart, whoever puts in out. Even the Artisan vhs looked and sounded better.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Young at Heart is a favorite film of mine.
is this a 1:85 film as it was released very early 1954 and may be a flat film. Warners no longer control this film. I thik they still have the original negative and also the MONO Mag track which sounds far better than the fifth generation optical track that has been used for evey video transfer.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Actually, "Young at Heart" opened in December of 1954 (and not in New York until January of 1955, although there was a special New Year's Eve showing in NYC.)

The confusion on this movie is that the title song isn't from the movie -- the Sinatra recording of the song is what came out in early '54.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Joe Caps, if you're still around, maybe I can pick your brain: I noticed that Lucky Me will feature a new 5.1 mix. WB has the material for that, but not for the later The Pajama Game? I know it's 2 different sets of elements so it's kinda like comparing apples and oranges, but it strikes me as odd when it's the same studio.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I'm sure Joe Caps knows a lot more about it than I do, but LUCKY ME was a Cinemascope movie, and weren't all Cinemascope movies filmed with stereo soundtracks at the start of the Cinemascope era? (LUCKY ME was Warners' first released CInemascope feature.) THE PAJAMA GAME was flat, of course, so a lack of stereo recordings isn't that surprising. The soundtrack LP was in mono, too.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
The review in Saturday's paper referred to it as the sixth CinemaScope movie to be released.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
The Command only became a CinemaScope film after production though. Warner narrowly missed out on securing the rights to Chretien's patents for his hypergonar lens designs. Athough Fox got those rights, Warner realised that they couldn't patent the anamorphic principle itself. So they paid Zeiss to develop CinemaScope compatible anamorphic lenses, which they would use for their own anamorphic widescreen process called WarnerSuperScope. The lenses were used for The Command, and for some second unit work on A Star is Born. However they quickly realised that the lenses were vastly inferior to the Bausch & Lomb lenses used by Fox for CinemaScope. But in order to get access to those superior lenses, they simply had no other option but to sign a contract with Fox to license the lenses, and the CinemaScope brand name. At that point they retrospectively decided to say that The Command was a CinemaScope film, even though it wasn't actually shot with CinemaScope lenses.

William Miller

Second Unit
Warner Bros. does not own Young at Heart and that has been the situation for many years.

The TCM database lists 150,00 films of which TCM does not own about 144,000 of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks