What's new

Doom 3 (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Is this title coming? Damn, the thought of a new Doom game using the Quake 3 engine just makes me giggle with glee. I'm imagining it right now. Ooooooooooh. I can't wait. Can anyone confirm that its on the horizon?

Also, does anyone know if Halo's coming to the PC. I don't want an Xbox, but I've heard so many good things, that I really want to give this one a try.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Doom III is coming and its using the new Doom III engine, which will also be used on Quake IV(which is being developed by Raven). There are also rumors that Prey will use the Doom III engine and be made by Human Head.

Halo will come to the PC and the Mac sometime next year is the word.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
This is a "can't wait" title for me too. I remember finding out "god mode" existed after beating Doom 2...I was so pissed and so happy to have beat it natural.

There are also rumors that Prey will use the Doom III engine
Whoa, Prey! There's a title I haven't heard in a while. I thought that project fell off the face of the earth. It must be like 5 years in development by now, huh?

I guess all that talk of "portals" was for nothing?

Has id said anything about multiplayer options in Doom 3?

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Has id said anything about multiplayer options in Doom 3?
I've been wondering about this also. I think that the standrad Free-for-all Deathmatch is way past its sell-by-date. Team based-Deathmatch, and to a larger extent, Objective based Team-Deathmatch, thanks to Couter-strike and more recently Return to Castle Wolfenstein, is where online FPS gaming is at. But how will they work a team-based option of objective missions into the Doom scenario. Or will they opt for a totally new idea? It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. Whatever it is, I'm desperately hoping it doesn't suck! :D

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
There are a couple of exciting new 3D engines coming soon, one is to be used in Unreal Tournament 2, and the other is the Doom 3 engine.
Gary, do you have any idea how well these new engines will run on a Ge Force 3 board? I currently run a dual Athlon XP 1700+ system with a standard Ge Force 3 card. Will the Doom 3 engine support dual CPUs like the Q3 engine did?
Will I need to upgrade to Ge Force 4 to run these games at a decent framerate?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
If I remember correctly ID was targetting the Geforce 3 as the minimum. So take that for whatever it means. This is one of the main reasons I haven't upgraded my PC yet. I'm waiting for Doom 3 and Quake 4.

Gary King

Second Unit
I can't really talk about final performance.

JC has stated a goal of 30fps on a GeForce 3 with all features turned on (probably without AA and at 800x600, though). There are quite a few effects that the new Doom engine uses that would benefit from some extra CPU; however, it will probably remain severely graphics-limited.

Personally, I don't find the UT2 engine that exciting. It produces some nice screenshots, and offers some cool particle effects, but it's not an architectural quantum leap like the Doom 3 engine is.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
....it's not an architectural quantum leap like the Doom 3 engine is.
I LOVE soundbites like this. :D Just can't wait for these games now.
I just hope Quake 4 won't be multiplayer only. I really disliked Quake 3.
What kind of release dates are we looking at? Will there be sufficient time before the release of Doom 3 and Quake 4, for the price of a GeForce 4 to have dropped! :D I ain't made of money.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Seems like i remember hearing the Xbox is the only system out that could handle Doom 3. I wonder if we will see it on the Box.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the input Gary. I hope that there will be SMP support built in to D3.
Do you have any specifics as to what kind of effects we can expect to see exhibited by the D3 engine? What exactly makes it such an architectural quantum leap?
Thanks in advance :)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Seems like i remember hearing the Xbox is the only system out that could handle Doom 3. I wonder if we will see it on the Box.
Well that may be true today, but Doom 3 isn't out yet. By the time it actually comes out I bet PC hardware will leap over the XBox hardware. That always happens when new game consoles come out. They are faster than current PC hardware at their release, but a few months after that PC hardware shoots forward and keeps on running.

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
They are faster than current PC hardware at their release, but a few months after that PC hardware shoots forward and keeps on running.
Well maybe more like 6 months to a year, but otherwise very, very true. Processing power doubles roughly every 18 months.

Doom 3 looks great, but Unreal 2 is certainly a "must buy" for me. I just hope the single-player story is better than the first game...

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Can't remember where I read the article but, I think it was dealing with Doom 3 and the Xbox. It went on to say something along the lines that the GeForce unit in the Xbox has more in common with the GeForce 4 than the 3. In fact, it said that the only GeForce 4 card that is superior to the Xbox is the 4 in it's speediest, high-end config.
Which, when you think about it, it makes sense. Microsoft wanted Nvidia to design a GeForce that was beyond the stuff that was already out for PC's. I swear I read articles about the development of the Xbox that mentioned the very fact that Nvidia designed a chipset for the Xbox that was about 1 generation ahead of the PC. The next generation for the PC was the GeForce 4.
...I think I read this in the announcement of the GeForce 4??? :confused:
Anyhoo, IMHO, the PC...graphics wise, will truly jump past the Xbox when the GeForce V comes out.
Not sure. I don't memorize this shit. :laugh:

Gary King

Second Unit
Doom 3 is one of the first games (possibly *the* first) to really make a push toward realistic lighting. Every light will generate shadows, every object will cast and receive shadows, everything will be bump-mapped. And some of the particle effects look quite nice.

It's a radical change from the way most games work (the objects are comparatively low-poly in Doom 3, but they're rendered 20+ times/frame to generate all the shadow and lighting effects), and makes the entire environment *really* eery.

I can't wait for the final build. The original Doom is one of my all-time favorite games (and the music in E1M1 on a Gravis UltraSound was one of the best tunes ever in a video game -- I hope Reznor (if he does the music) remixes it) and had atmosphere out the wazoo. Doom 3 looks to carry on that tradition in grand style.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
It went on to say something along the lines that the GeForce unit in the Xbox has more in common with the GeForce 4 than the 3. In fact, it said that the only GeForce 4 card that is superior to the Xbox is the 4 in it's speediest, high-end config.
The GPU in the Xbox is basically an nForce North bridge featuring a GF3 graphics core with a 2nd vertex shader tacked on. It only runs at 233 mhz and has less (and shared) memory bandwidth than any of the legit GF4s. The GF4s have a more advanced AA engine, etc. I'd be interested in a link, but it sounds like the Xbox was given more credit than it deserves. It's kinda moot 'cause by the time Doom 3 comes out we'll be pining for GeForce 5s and R300 based Radeons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks