What's new

Don't laugh at this question!! (1 Viewer)

ChrisMcK

Stunt Coordinator
I'm running new wires to my HT theater speakers [replacing the wires that came with the system] How do I connect the wires to the back of the receiver/dvd player. What is the name of the piece that I would use to connect the speaker wire to the rca connector. I know about using bannana plugs for connections to the speakers but I'm unsure on the other end. Hope I have these terms correct.

Thanks
Chris

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Are you sure that you need RCA connectors for your speaker output from the receiver? Usually there are terminals for wires. If you do need RCA connection I'd advise you to go to a Radio Shack store. They should be able to advise you. It won't cost much.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
How do I connect the wires to the back of the receiver/dvd player.
If you have 5-way binding posts, you can use banana plugs. I like the single-bananas from Radio Shack (xxx-306).

If your receiver has those spring-clips, you can use bare wire, or invest in "Pin Connectors". Radio Shack also sells these.

RCA plugs usually DONT take speaker wires. These plugs are for line-level signals flowing BETWEEN devices. Binding posts/spring clips are usually used for amplified/speaker-level signals.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Chris,

Do you have one of those home theater-in-a-box things? You mention receiver/dvd player in your post. I know that some of these one-box gizmos use a non-standard RCA plug that has speaker wire leads coming out of it. If this is the case, I don't know how you could replace the speaker wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks