What's new

Don't have time to re-watch DVDs (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'm in the same club, Mitch.

But because most of "my" shows are on reruns now, I consider this the time to try to catch up on my big backlog of unwatched DVDs. (The only "new" shows I'm watching now are "Queer Eye", "Boy Meets Boy", "The Restaurant". . .and my 1/2 hour daily soap. ) My goal was to work myself through some of my TV sets during the summer, but so far only finished "Sports Night", "Sex and the City Season 3" and "OZ: First Season".

Still, I have this insatiable appetite to keep buying/trading for titles, only adding to my stack. I think I have this delusion that it IS possible to "catch up" someday! Like you, I've rarely REwatched anything in my collection, or even given a first viewing to the titles I saw at the theatre. (But somehow, there's the "need" to own them right away! )

When college basketball starts in November, I'll be hard pressed to find DVD time with the new TV season already in progress!

(Not to mention that I've suddenly decided to make time to READ novels again! )

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
OK, how much money do you guys (and gal) make, if you can afford 5+ DVDs a week? What's your secret? What am I doing wrong.

--
Holadem

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I fixed this problem by not watching TV at all. We haven't had cable or satelite (or even local channels) in my house for about 2 years now. Our watching needs are provided entirely by DVD. There are a few shows I might like, but I'm just waiting on them to hit DVD.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Guys, that 'need' to get them right away is not only valid, but it is justified too. You don't want to wait only to find out that they have gone OOP.

Glenn

derek

Second Unit
I'd say at least 25% of my collection is still 'unwatched.' And of the entire DVD collection about 75% of the bonus material is unwatched with 95% of the commentaries unlistened to. It bugs me I don't have the time to enjoy these extra features that DVD provides. We usually buy a new release we like and maybe rent twice a month. I was REALLY debating getting Babylon 5 3rd season (though I want the entire series collection on dvd) when I just have watched only the first disc from season 1! Yet I still have my ReplayTV recording my fav series (enterprise/stargate/tremors/adventureinc), various movies (mostly scifi) and discovery/history channel specials. Not to mention NASCAR on Sunday and now football season ramping up. The conclusion I've come to is either scale down my hobby and sell off some of my collection...or build a time machine ***runs off to find a copy of HG Wells' book :D ***

btw the PVR (ReplayTV/TIVO) is IMHO the most valuable addition ever to home theater. Because it IS a time machine! It saves me time with commercial skip/viewing scheduling. On the other side of the coin you get greedy recording stuff/junk.

Bryan_Bortz

Stunt Coordinator
Man, I second the question on how do you guys afford the DVDs, and have you ever got in weird conversations about how into HT/DVDs you are? To me, if I had some of my friends read this thread they would think we are nuts!

I only have 42 DVDs so far (with the 14 disc Flying Circus Set in the mail) and am already wondering if this is a bad idea ;)

-Owl

Al Shing

Stunt Coordinator
I think this problem is caused by the practice of stores like Best Buy and Wal-Mart to price DVDs a little lower the week they are released. This prompts you to buy it now before the price goes up. When you get it home, it goes on the stack of disks that have been bought and not yet watched. After a few months, that stack grows larger and larger, while your free time never seems to grow to match.

I have been intending to spend time catching up with my collection, but a month's worth of hot weather and no air conditioning pretty much put an end to that. Plus, the recent addition of new HD channels to cable has caused me to spend a lot of time watching HD sport broadcasts and HD PBS shows.

It's actually quite a project to watch a DVD, considering the extras add an extra hour or two to the time required to watch it. Then it takes a couple more hours to re-watch it with the commentary. Watching one or two a day is quite a commitment of time that most people just don't have. Even retired people (my mom) has this problem.

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator
OK, how much money do you guys (and gal) make, if you can afford 5+ DVDs a week? What's your secret? What am I doing wrong.
I've come to the conclusion that the folks here are independently wealthy ("It's been a slow week... I only bought 10 DVDs") and spend all day watching movies. :D

Jack

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Nope, but lots of us are MINK's (Moderate Income No Kids). The only rugrats we spend money on are the kind on DVD. :D

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I keep my unwatched list pretty low compared to some. I was down under a dozen a week or two back, but now I'm back up to 17. And I only watch one new disc per week (usually). Then spend the rest of the week going through the bonus stuff.

As for TV, this summer has been really strange. We started on Big Brother, but we've just discovered Buffy and find we'd much rather watch a new episode every night rather than Big Brother. So we're not really doing the TV thing this summer (I'm reading online updates to keep up with Big Brother, but very rarely actually watch an episode). In the past there was always some show we'd watch during the summer. As for the rest of the season, I'm trying to ween myself off of TV. Before getting married, I never watched TV. Then after getting married I somehow got attached to it. This season I should be down to about 5 regular weekly shows.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
#1...I dont rent...ever.
#2...theater visit? large crowds are a joke to me anymore.

I buy 5 to 10 dvds every week and have a collection of over 1,000. I run a buisiness and put in 40 to 60 hours a week sometimes. but this is my blessing. owning a biz...I can send my employees out and stay home anytime I feel like. this always happens on a good release tuesday. anyway....I schedule my film watching. new releases get priority of course and I always schedule 1 older title daily. this is my way of checking for delamination/dvdrot, as well as enjoying my collection. yes..it will be a while before repeating some dvds....but it's a library. and a library is used over and over again...weeks..months...and years down the road. plenty of time to watch films. I dont have stacks upon stacks of unwatched discs and never let a sealed dvd sit on my shelf for more than just a few days. enjoying films is a priority for me, and without a huge social life right now, by choice, this is my main attraction for having fun.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I "only" have 207 DVD's.

I very rarely watch TV (except for CSI in High Def).

I rely very heavily on Netflix to quench my thirst for movies. I am always in search of another "find".

As such, even with my modest collection, I find it rare that I re-watch many of the DVD's that I own.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Since I have over 100 unwatched DVDs and about 100 unwatched LDs also, my new rule is that if I buy a DVD, I have to watch it the day I buy it!

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Re-watch? You must be joking! I don't even get time to watch a lot of my DVDs the first time around!
That's EXACTLY how I feel! I fear that I may never be able to re-watch any of my DVDs again! I'm having a hard time, just watching them once, let alone watching them multiple times!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Wow Mitch, I hardly know how to answer that!

Ok, new or old, if I were buying 5 a week i'd make sure that I set aside about 2 hours every night and watch one. I know that our schedules can get really hectic, but I have found that sometimes with the more that you have to do, that you learn to squeeze more and more in.

Then you have the weekends, but I think that you might want to 'reconsider' some of your purchases. I don't want to question your addiction in any way, but I at least make it a rule that I am going to watch every DVD that I get at least twice.

As an example, I am not getting '24' or 'The Shield." They are 2 of my top 5 shows, and I'd never miss them, but watching them a 2nd time would take the suspense out of it for me. That's just me though.

Anyway, good luck. If you do keep up your buying habits, you might be caught up in 2 years - if you're not in debtor's prison by then! :)

Glenn

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
G. Kaplan expounded......
I just cycle through my collection. As it gets bigger the cycle gets longer, but so what? Right now it'll probably be three years before I see tonight's movie again. But I'll be watching lots of great dvds during that time.
Yeah, George. But NONE of those you'll view will be the greatest TV Boxed Set of them all: MTM-1. For shame. I feel dreadfully sorry for you regarding this. :D

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i watch the computer screen and my projector screen and that's it. i live on an Air Force base in Japan and we don't get hi-def tv, we get very low-def tv so it doesn't get played on the projector. only dvds. i do go to the theaters for big hit movies, but there is only one on base and one off base that's close. the one on base sucks. watched Hulk and of the duration of the film, half of that was spent unfocused. man i was pissed. great film though. the theater off base is better but costs around $20 a ticket. we go there for the big budget films cause they get there about a month before they get on base. of course on base only costs $2, but still, i'd like decent pic quality. soon i'll be going to college full-time and still be working 40hrs a week so the dvd watching will be severly cut back.

eric

Lary Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe you should consider a moritorium on purchases? Just rent through NetFlix for awhile and see how that goes. I have no idea what your financial circumstances are, but a "huge" credit balance would put a screeching halt to my shopping spree - those DVDs are costing you a lot more than sticker price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks