Don't have time to re-watch DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mitch Stevens, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I was just wondering, how you are re-watching your DVDs. I simply can't seem to find the time to do it.

I am buying an average of 5 DVDs per week, and am receiving around 6 rentals per week (from Netflix). There is 11 DVDs right there, between NEW DVDs and rentals. Plus, I'm also watching:

Cupid
    Big Brother (3 times per week = 3 hours)
    O.C.
    Boy Meets Boy
    Queer Eye For The Straight Guy
    American Juniors
    Paradise Hotel (2 times per week = 2 hours)
    Dead Like Me
    Reba
    What I Like About You
    Grounded For Life
    --------------
    All of which are an HOUR each. Which brings about 11 hours of TV show time per week. My days are filled to their max. I can't even remember the last time that I re-watched one of my old DVDs. Does anyone have the same problem, and how are you dealing with it?

P.S. I'm going to be adding a few more shows to my weekly viewing schedule very soon:

Joan of Arcadia
    Tru Calling
    One Tree Hill
    Smallville (Season 3)

Oh, and I simply forgot to add, that I also go to the theater twice per week. OMG, I think I watch WAY too many movies!

2. EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski Stunt Coordinator

Well, I don't rent, so that helps. I also don't watch much television. My primary entertainment is watching DVD's. I usually watch a disk at the office in the morning before the office opens. I generally watch television episodes on DVD when I am going to bed. They relax me. On the weekend I watch new purchases. I have watched many of my DVD's three or more times excluding the times I watch with an audio commentary running. VHS never caused me to watch this much. DVD is indeed a marvel.

3. Lary Larson

Lary Larson Stunt Coordinator

Get a Tivo? That should put a serious dent in your TV time.

I personally try not to watch any TV show that has no artistic or educational slant - even then I prefer to buy it on DVD (no Tivo here). Reality shows are the first to go. As I get older, I realize I just don't have that much time to waste and I like being in control of what I watch (no f'in ads).

4. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

We don't go to the theater much anymore unless it's a special film we're really looking forward to (i.e. the Lord of the Rings films).

It never really was planned this way, but I must say the audio/visual presentation in my home theater (92 inch screen, front projector) rivals and often surpases the quality of theatrical presentations. It really shouldn't (480p against 35mm print??), but often it does, which is kinda sad. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten up to complain about something wrong in a theatrical presentation. I just got fed up.

My most memorable experience was trying to convince a manager that the surrounds in the theater where Braveheart was playing were not turned on. The manager kept telling me - "but the film's in digital, not mono." Talk about a non-sequitor - I actually laughed in his face (unintentionally)!

Or the time when the print of Gladiator burned in the projector - not once but three times in one show!

And these experiences are from two different (but "reputable") chain theaters in a major city!

Imagine when high-def dvd comes into play...

But you know what? I just figured out what we've saved in expensive tickets, parking, overpriced (and stale) popcorn, etc. (not to mention annoying and/or rude audiences and time wasted arguing with managers) and in less than 2 years, our entire home theater - projector, screen, furniture, etc. has been paid for!

Cheers,

5. Stephen_Ri

Stephen_Ri Stunt Coordinator

Yea, you are probably spending too much time in front of the screen. At 10 per week, however, you may get back to your DVD's simply because you've run out of movies that interest you. I mean, you could watch the entire Criterion Collection in under 6 months at that rate. If I were you, I'd watch more like 5 a week so I don't run out of good things to watch. I probaby watch about 3 a week and very little TV. I only watch TCM for movies and ESPN for some sports. I don't mean to get preachy, but there are plenty of things much more important than TV. TV dulls the idle mind, and movies can do the same.

6. BrianCC

BrianCC Extra

Felix, your story reminded me of the time I saw John Woo's "Broken Arrow" in a digital theater with no surrounds. Sad to say, but I probably wouldn't have noticed if the surrounds hadn't cut in and out a couple of times during the show. Alerting an usher didn't help.

My wife still talks about how pissed off I was.[​IMG]

7. Mitch Stevens

I don't think I'd ever run out of things to buy/watch. My "DVD Want List" is just a bit over 400, and while I buy 5 per week, I also add about 10 per week to the list [​IMG]

I knew I shouldn't have gotten so hooked on those damn shows! I can't stop watching them anymore.

8. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

I would just recommend dropping all the "reality" shows. That stuff just rots your mind.

But seriously, how do you possibly find time to watch that much stuff. I have dozens of unwatched DVD's and several hours of unwatched taped tv programs cluttering my shelves and am hardly able to watch a couple of movies a week.

9. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    I only watch sports on TV; and not even much of that. On the average I buy about one DVD every two weeks and usually get 1-2 Netfixs; so I have time for 1-2 re-views. You might consider cranking down that Netfix subscription Mitch!

And to those comments on the theaters -- I don't seem to have nearly as much of a problem with the video and sound quality at the theater (Regal's my main destination). Sometimes it's just too dang loud; but mostly my problem is from people talking. (And truth be told, I like this because it just makes me appreciate my home screen that much more!) Usually when a non-kid movie comes out I just try and go during an off hour -- sneak out of work for a 2:00 or 3:00 showing.

10. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I run into a similiar problem. My life revolves around the baseball season so from April to October watching games comes first. Since there are games everyday its hard to fit movies in as I get home from work around 6:00 and games typically start at 7:00. Plus there are a few TV shows that I watch but luckily they are in reruns during the summer months. If my team plays a day game then I can watch a movie that night. Other than that I wait till after the World Series to catch up on my "unviewed but owned" list or rental list.

Despite what I just said somehow I have been burning through my unwatched list lately. The wife is on vacation with her family so that gives me some extra viewing time (she is not a big fan of the HT - I like movies dark and loud and she hardly likes any movie I own/rent, especailly when they are loud).

As for re-watching a movie, depends on when I saw it last. If I feel like watching a movie first i pick the genre and hope for something I havent seen yet. If thats not the case then I re-watch something. Some movies though I could re-watch over and over again (American Beauty, Jurassic Park 1, Pride of the Yankees, and Office Space just to name a few).

11. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I just cycle through my collection. As it gets bigger the cycle gets longer, but so what? Right now it'll probably be three years before I see tonight's movie again. But I'll be watching lots of great dvds during that time.

12. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

George I do something very similar but I suppose I've got more of a system. I remember the days of VHS when I had about 100 titles and most of them sat on a shelf never getting played. You begin to think to yourself what a waste of money ! Now I would have nightmares thinking that about my DVDs as I have over 300 of them !

At the beginning of the year when my collection was 200 odd I decided I needed a systematic way of seeing as much as possible. I must be a DVD addict compared to some here who only have time for two/three films a week because at first I thought of five titles a week. So I grouped my roughly 250 titles into 5 sets of 50 based on type of film. Since then 5 has become 6 and now almost 7 : in other words I love watching a DVD every night and hope to get through all my collection in about a year. I'm actually running out of days in one year to accomodate it !

Today's television just seems to me to get worse and worse : an occasional soap and some sport is all I watch. My way of relaxing in the evening has become watching good films I just love them. I just cycle through each list of around 50 films/ film-related docs occasionally changing the order depending on how I feel. The schedule isn't hard and fast but I haven't diverted from it much. I tend to avoid a few films I've bought and didn't like.

Here is what I generally watch :
    Sunday : Silent movies in tribute to TCM USA !
    Monday : Comedy,Drama,Romance
    Tuesday : Comedy, Drama,Romance, occasional Action film
    Wednesday : Action, Western, War, Period pieces
    Thursday : Occasional Action, Horror, Sci-Fi, Thriller
    Friday : Thriller
    Saturday : Musicals

If I miss a night I just postpone that movie for next week. I've been doing this since January 2003 and really enjoy it !

13. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Judging by a lot of your recent posts, you seem to like most everything you see. Listing titles like "Glitter" among your faves, and watching multiple hours of "Big Brother" every week, it comes across as if you never met a movie/show you didn't like. Consequently, you must either buy or add to your wish list/rental queue nearly every title released every week.

You need to find some way to narrow your tastes.

14. Cavan.B

Cavan.B Stunt Coordinator

15. Mitch Stevens

Malcolm,

You're completely right. I'm not very harsh when it comes to liking TV shows or movies that I rent. I like just about anything that doesn't put me to sleep. There are however, movies that I simply can't stand, that do put me to sleep, and I wouldn't buy those in a million years.

On the other hand, I don't buy too many TV shows on DVD (except for Buffy, Angel, Oz, 6 Feet Under & Dawson's Creek) so even though I watch Big Brother, I know I wouldn't buy it on DVD. I don't know how to "narrow my tastes."

I remember back about a year ago, I didn't do too much TV watching, and I was able to get LOTS of repeat viewings out of my DVDs, but now with netflix sending me so many rentals, plus the amount of shows I watch, it's become completely impossible to re-watch a DVD.

16. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I used to watch a lot of TV, but since the advent of the so-called "reality" shows I have cut down a lot. After purchasing my first true 5.1 A/V receiver (I previously had only a Sony Surround system, non Pro Logic) I have begun to discover the joys of the audio tracks on my DVDs. I am starting to re-watch all of them. Heck, I have even begun to play my old surround VHS movies using Pro Logic II and have been astounded by the difference in the sound reproduction between Dolby Stereo, Dolby Surround, and Pro Logic II!

17. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

So, you're addicted too! Most of us are, even if some won't admit it.

I have a question - Are you buying 5 newly released DVD's per week or are you catching up on some of the old titles too?

I am caught up, as they say, but during a 30 day period that I am now in the middle of, I'm picking up 23 new ones. After 9/2 I only have 14 for the rest of the year.

Plenty of time (ha, ha) to catch up.

Glenn

18. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

I don't watch much TV at all except for Jeopardy and (occasionally) Everybody Loves Raymond and sometimes late night Jay Leno or David Letterman.

I don't even have cable (intentionally) so if I'm missing The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Sex And The City etc., I'll survive. People are always telling me that I NEED to get cable so I can see these shows. Why? I'll just take it for granted they're terrific shows but I can't watch everything and if I'm missing out on something good, then I'm missing out. I've never been much of the "TV cult" mentality like my friends who won't answer the phone on the Tuesday nights that American Idol is on (yet another thing I wouldn't be caught dead watching).

My shelves are jammed with laser discs and DVDs and of course I re-watch them. What would be the point of purchasing them to watch one time?

As for theatres, I guess I'm lucky living in Los Angeles where State of the Art presentation is readily available in most cinemas.

19. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

My priority is to watch a DVD I've purchased within 30 days, no matter how backed up I am.

Nothing worse than having a bad disc outside of the 30 day return window!

Cheers,

20. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Felix, that's the only problem I've encountered by running up such a huge backlog (and I have at least 200 discs and disc sets I haven't even removed the shrinkwrap from yet).