What's new

Dolby Pro Logic 2 ?? (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Link Removed
If you run a search for "DPL2" in this forum, you'll turn up literally dozens of threads debating the pros and cons and discussing availability. But the link above is a solid technical resource.
M.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Brian: Pro Logic II is a new 5.1 surround sound mode that is derived from 2 channel sources. It was developed over the last few years by Jim Fosgate and licensed to Dolby Labs in the past year or so.
Original Dolby Surround (later Pro Logic) was good at the time it came out (which has been 15 to 20 years now.) But DPL II makes a much better surround mix (again, from just 2 channels) than the older versions. This includes 2 channel music, which old DPL was very poor at reproducing in surround. The 2 DPL II modes are called Cinema and Music.
New DPL II now offers full range, stereo rear surrounds (DPL was mono and was frequency filtered in the rear channels. No bass below 100 Hz and no highs above 7kHz.) Also, DPL II was designed to specifically accomodate the use of a subwoofer. Original DPL could use one but it was an after thought.
IMO, the biggest gain to my system from DPL II has been the added sense of being really inside the surround mix. Yet the voices and action that should stay in the center and front channel stays in the center and front. Too many "other" surround modes that many makers include on their products have tried to create "bigger" sounding listening spaces. But they fail because things that belong in the front or center speakers comes out of the rears too.
------------------

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That's an excellent summary, Chuck. The only part I disagree with is the following:
quote: Pro Logic II is a new 5.1 surround sound mode [/quote] The "x.y" notation is supposed to be used for discrete multi-channel formats, and as your presentation stresses, DPL2 is meant for 2-channel sources. Dolby has repeatedly stressed that DPL2 is in no way intended as an alternative to 5.1 formats.
I know it's all semantics, but some of the most vicious battles in this and other forums have been fought over semantics.
wink.gif

M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on August 17, 2001 at 10:59 AM]

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Michael: I agree with the semantics situation. As you clearly point out, they can often be the source for big disagreements. Each of us needs to realize that we all have opinions and that we won't always agree. That said, I stand by what I wrote. I didn't write that DPL II is a 5.1 mode from a 5.1 source. DPL II is a 5.1 mode from 2 channel sources. When using DPL II, a subwoofer channel (the .1 designation) can be/is derived from the 2 channel signal. Regular DPL does not have that option.
While Dolby Labs may not like DPL II being called 5.1, at least from a generic point of view (facial tissues/Kleenex), it's too late. Numerous publications are calling it that.
------------------
[Edited last by Chuck Kent on August 23, 2001 at 06:03 AM]

GregK

Screenwriter
Yes, I think it's important to note that it's matrix 5.1,
vs true discrete 5.1, like DD, DTS, or MLP.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
While Dolby Labs may not like DPL II being called 5.1, at least from a generic point of view (facial tissues/Kleenex), it's too late. Numerous publications are calling it that.
Numerous publications feature poor spelling and grammar, but that's no reason to do likewise.
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks