What's new

does this type of tv exist? (1 Viewer)

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for a direct view flat screen 27" television that can handle the output of a progressive scan DVD player via component inputs

It does NOT need to handle 720P or 1080I HDTV (would push the price up too far), just handle 480P (via my dvd player)

are there any sets out there that meet my need?

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
Micheal,

that would make it an HDTV (and out of range of what i am looking to spend )

i am looking to keep the price 750 or less

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
To handle progressive, you will need a DTV, or HDTV-ready set. These will likely be beyond your $750 price range.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I think Samsung might make what they call an EDTV (Enhanced Definition) that only handles 480p. I recall it being 800 I think...check Samsung's website for specs.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I know Sony makes a 32" wega for only like 800.00 that has component but you want a 27", and I think I found one for 700.00 at circuit city its a 27" wega flat screen with component in..... hope this helps

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Sampo makes an HD capable 27" set with dual PAL and NTSC tuners and has a VGA input(HD must come from VGA). DVDs look fantastic on it!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Looks like Jeff and I are forced to agree yet again!
The Sampo is winning rave reviews from The Perfect Vision. And I've seen them in action: nice.
The only caveat, I would think, is the fact Sampo uses notch filters instead of the more common comb filters--due to its being able to handle PAL signals. But think about it: With a Sampo, you'd be able to buy a Region 2 DVD player, and play the unedited, uncensored Region 2 version of Eyes Wide Shut (mentioning this film puts Jeff and me back in our adversarial mode! :)).

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Samsung has a 27 inch that does 480p and 1080i..MSRP is 899 and could probably be had for around 800..Apex is coming out with some under 30 inch HD ready sets this fall...The 27 inch is suppose to be in the 700 range...However based on Apex's dvd player performance I would be a little hesitant about purchasing an Apex TV..

Joey B

Stunt Coordinator
Phillips also makes a "DVD-Ready" 27" set. It sells for less than $300 at costco, a little more at other stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks