What's new

does the speaker distance setting really matter? (1 Viewer)

noob5684

Agent
Real Name
Colin B.
I manually setup the distances of each speaker but they are incorrect. Should I use the Mic to set them up and manually set up the equalizer. Yamaha RX-V567 receiver.. The speakers are really like 9ft away from the listening position and that is all of them but I set them to 25ft? does it matter?

Thank you.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I guess it matters enough for the receiver manufacturers to include the adjustment for distance in their setup menu's .

neomancer

Auditioning
Real Name
neomancer
I guess it matters enough for the receiver manufacturers to include the adjustment for distance in their setup menu's .
But most people don't sit clockwork orange style strapped to a single chair. How do you configure it if you have a love seat for instance where you typically sit on one side or the other?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
First off, sorry for the late response.

Second, after reading my original reply, I come across as rather "curt", quite rude actually. I'm feeling somewhat embarrassed. :blush: Yikes!

Audeyssey, and some Yamaha models, use up to 8 mic positions to smooth out the frequency response throughout the room.My Pioneer receivers have 6 seperate EQ setting that remember speaker and subwoofer volumes for each setting as well as the eq settings to help compensate for just what you asked. Different seating locations. But I don't know of any avr that allows more then one distance setting for the speakers. I would set the mic in the middle of the love seat.alternately, you could set it on the side you sit in most often. For most of us, this is all a compromise. Especially if you don't have a single sweet spot.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Exactly how it's done in movie theaters. They'll use 4 or 5 mics setup in different spots from about halfway back to 2/3 way back with the reference mic 2/3 back center and work out a compromise.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
" I manually setup the distances of each speaker but they are incorrect. Should I use the Mic to set them up and manually set up the equalizer. Yamaha RX-V567 receiver.. The speakers are really like 9ft away from the listening position and that is all of them but I set them to 25ft? does it matter?"

- The distance setting is used to add delay times to compensate for different speaker distances - so all of the sounds that are produced at a given moment in the source material will hit your ear at your seating position when they are expected to, and sync up with the action/dialog from the source.

If you are a equal distance from all of your speakers - than it shouldn't matter too much - given that you are at least close. If you are actually 9 ft from each speaker and you enter 25 ft - it would add the same delay to all speakers to compensate for the sound to travel 25 ft and sync up with the picture - and might cause a slight sync issue with the picture. It is best to be as accurate as possible with the distances, even if they are all an equal distance away.

I found a good article here on how and why you set the distances and speaker levels.

Last edited:

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I know the surrounds are supposed to have a delay in relation to the screen channels so that sounds from the screen reach you first most of the time, and give proper effect when moving from surrounds to screen. I would enter the correct distance. If you have the proper ability to be able to manually EQ with a mic, then that is always the most reliable way to do it, especially if you use an RTA or RTA program.

Edit: I just realized that the guy who asked the question above in quotes, did so 5 years ago! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks