What's new

Does the Harman Kardon avr 3550 exist?? (1 Viewer)

Dave_Whiting

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

Could anyone tell me if the avr 3550 is a retail model. The have it on the website but some rep told me that they are scrapping that model for the avr 3500. Seems kinder weird to me as the avr 3500 coresponds to the american avr 220 and hence one would think the avr 3550 would correspond to the avr 225. But there is no info on the net about it (3550). Would anyone be able to clear this up for me. Thanks

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
This is a good example of why you never listen to 'reps'. Unless and until H/K decides to revamp the entire lineup, the 3550 is the 225...The coming 325 will be the 4550... The coming 525 will be the 5550. Which site are you using?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
No Dave,

I mean the website that gives you those Euro model #'s. You wrote "they have it (the 3550) on the website".

EDIT: Sorry, I figured out you meant for me to use the International links. Got it. DUH!:b

Still the same story. The 3550 is the new 225. Any rep who would tell you that a 45Wx5 is going to replace a 60Wx5 receiver is an idiot. You may be experiencing supply problems. I noticed that many British sites for instance were just getting around to reviewing the 520. That model is due for upgrading/replacement this fall in N.A.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Exactly. That is the 220, not the 225. Supply must be really weird. Er, how long have the x500 (x20) series been available in NZ? Take the 5500 (520) for instance.

Dave_Whiting

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know, its pretty weird. This is what the H/K supplier told me

Hi there David I am sorry to say that there is no direct replacements
between the models you have enquired about
The European market have 6 different spec'd units to offer
And the American market has five I think the only difference between the 2
is the American units is the HDTV-ready which I guess is for cable.
"The AVR2550 is less spec'd than the AVR2500)
Also with the AVR3550 (less spec'd than AVR3500)
Therefore we have chosen to run with the entry level (AVR2550) & then we
have moved straight up to the AVR3500.
The differences are higher current capability, more output power, on screen
display, 5 channel preouts for running higher power external amplifiers &
digital
output/inputs on the front of the unit e.g. for easy access playstation 2,
handycam etc.."

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
That is absolutely bizarre. Ask this guy if some countries or regions get different nomenclature other than N.A. and Euro.

According to him the 2500 has higher spec than the 2550. All you have to do is check the International website to see he doesn't have a clue. Unless, that is, the Pacific region is getting different model #'s than the Euro's. I guess that's possible but I highly doubt it. They seem to have everything ass backwards.

Dave_Whiting

Stunt Coordinator
I agree it seems very odd. I will probably just get the avr 3500. Is there much actual difference between the avr 220 and the avr 225. I know that the avr 225 is rated with more power but H/K could have just uped that number for customer reasons.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Along with greater power (+10W), the 225 (3550) has the 2 new sub-categories under Surround Off: Stereo-Direct bypass in Analog only and Stereo-Digital which allows bass management.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks