What's new

What does a Harman Kardon AVR 100 do? (1 Viewer)

neophyte

Auditioning
Real Name
Milton Dammers
I've inherited a Harman Kardon AVR 100. The problem is that after trying to determine what it's used for, all I got was confused and a headache. I have no home electronics other than a flat screen tv, a blu-ray player, a PS3 console, a 6 disk CD player, a DVR for my cable tv service, and an Apple computer. I have no idea whether all, some, or none of those components would be used with the AVR 100. Although I couldn't determine what the AVR 100 does, it apparently lacks a few things that today's electronics have [though I don't understand the implications of what it's lacking]. That being so, and since it was free, I'd be willing to pay some money to "upgrade" its abilities so I can use it. So, to all of the experts out there, here are my questions: What is the HK AVR 100 intended to do? Short of trashing the HK AVR 100 and buying something new, and considering the components I have, what would you do in a best case scenario to get the most out of the HK AVR 100? (and please include what you would consider to be reasonable equipment purchases to achieve your best case scenario.) Thanks.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
A receiver takes the audio signal from the dvd player, bluray player, dvr, etc. amplifies it and sends the amplified signal to the speakers and sub woofer. You would then listen to these speakers instead of the horrible ones found in todays displays. Current avr's can also accept all the video signals and send the one you're watching to the display. The H/K AVR-100 is a 5 channel Dolby Digital receiver. Technically you can use it with all of your devices, except the Apple computer, to some degree. The bad news is it doesn't have an internal DTS decoder and it can't switch component video (not a big deal though). It has 3 digital inputs and one set of multi-channel analog inputs. You would hook the cd player and dvr up with a digital cable either optical or coaxial. The PS3 and BluRay players should be connected to the multi-channel analog inputs but you can only hook up one of them that way and that component would need to have multi channel analog outputs. Not all BluRay players have them.. The other one would need to be hooked up to the remaining digital input. Receivers aren't like computers :( where you can add or up-grade what you don't have. With an avr you are stuck with what you have. There isn't anything you can buy to bring it into todays technology. To take full advantage of the receiver you will need to buy 5 speakers and a subwoofer. Bottom line is, even though it isn't a current receiver you could use it with the other components you have, but you might not be able to take full advantage of what they have to offer but you could still use them. You would just need to buy the appropriate cables to connect them with. I'm sure more questions are forthcoming :) .

neophyte

Auditioning
Real Name
Milton Dammers
I have one word Gene : THANKS. I wish I'd come here first (before the internet investigation that made my head swim and my eyes cross). Although it's not the latest technology, it sounds like using it will be better than what I have, and at no cost (except for connecting cables, wires, etc.). I understand that I should take the output from the DVR (and the CD player) and input it to the AVR 100, and then take the output wires from the AVR 100 to speakers (I have a Bose Acoustimass 5 speaker system). However, how do I connect the DVR to the television? Currently, I'm using an HDMI cable, so I don't know how to stop feeding sound to the TV while also diverting the sound signal to the AVR 100. My second question is, what do you mean by "The bad news is it doesn't have an internal DTS decoder..." What would a DTS decoder do for me that the AVR 100 can't. Thanks again!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Your dvr will output sound through the hdmi and optical cables at the same time so you don't need to stop or re-route the sound. Just mute the sound on the tv. Most dvd's discs offer both Dolby Digital and DTS (you choose which one you want to listen to in the discs setup menu). A very few BluRay discs only offer DTS. You won't be able to play those through the AVR-100 as it can't decode the signal.

Becker135

Auditioning
Real Name
C
What is the best way to hook up an Ipod, or other MP3 player to this receiver? I've tried the front rca inputs but don't get a very good sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks