Does that “Telezapper” thing really work ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Sefranek, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

I see Radio Shack and others advertising this device for 49.99
    Does anyone know if it really works or not?
    Shawn S
    [​IMG]
    From the Radio Shack website:
    Sick of telemarketing calls during dinner, or while you're spending quality time with the family?
    This unique device virtually eliminates annoying telemarketing calls for you. It connects to your regular phone and covers all phones connected to the same line.
    When a telemarketer calls, the TeleZapper sends a "disconnected" signal. The auto-dialer then records your number as disconnected and takes your name off the telemarketers' calling lists. The best part is, TeleZapper won't interfere with your computer, fax or answering machine.
    The TeleZapper emits its tone whenever your telephone goes "off-hook". If the telephone company "answers" your calls through voicemail, your phone does not go "off-hook" at your house and the TeleZapper cannot "zap" telemarketers. However, if you answer your phone the TeleZapper will emit its tone and "zap" telemarketers.

2. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Man did I click on this thread in a jiffy, thinking it would a cell phone blocker, like maybe wristwatch sized so I can just wear it and block (or "zap" I guess I was hoping) cell phone use within a hundred yards of me... Oh well. If there was one of those, I'd buy it.

With telemarketers it's always more fun to announce in solemn tones that the person they are asking for has [pause] very recently died. [sniff!]

MC

3. Wade K

Wade K Second Unit

4. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

so is this for those empty telemarketer calls-- the ones where it hangs up the very second you pick up-- or for *ugh* human telemarketers?

~~Nathan

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

6. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Nick, in my case I seriously doubt it. I posted a thread about a week ago asking if anyone knows how to stop it, but here's the quick story.
    A string of 10 phone number when 10 digits of each other (ie-- 404.479.6151, 404.479.6152, 404.479.6153, 404.479.6154, 404.479.6155, 404.479.6156 up to ...6162) are calling me constantly. When I pick up, the line is dead. I would think it's just kids, but this ould have to be a massive youngster conspiracy to get those 10 or so people to keep calling me again and again. If this Radio Shack thing is for real, I'll buy 500 and pass them out for Christmas.[​IMG]
    ~~Nathan

7. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Okay, I own the Telezapper and have had it for about a week now. It's hard to know if it works yet since it's intended to reduce telemarketing calls in the future. For now, the caller id still comes up with "Unknown Name" a few times a day. I've also thought about buying them as Christmas presents if I determine that it's actually effective. I still have the package and receipt in case I decide to return it. FYI, I bought mine at K-Mart (or is that Big-K now?)

8. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Does this device emit the tone every time you answer the phone? That could get annoying.

9. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Yes, it does emit the tone every time you pick up the phone, whether it's to answer or make a call. It may emit 3 tones, but it sounds like one short tone. It's not annoying at all. The person on the other end also hears the tone, but most people won't think anything of it. Just part of the electronic background noise in all of our lives.

10. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

So, this thing blocks calls made by computer but allows calls made by a person, even if both come across on my caller id as "unidentified"? If this is the case, I'm getting one.

11. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Alan,

It doesn't "block the call" in the sense that the phone still rings. When you or your answering machine pick up the phone, the Telezapper emits the tones. According to the product claims, a computer will interpret this as a disconnected line and hang up immediately and remove you from its dialing list. This should reduce calls in the future. The ideal product would id telemarketers immediately and prevent the phone from ringing in the first place, but I suppose that's not really feasible.

I have a caller id question. When mine says Unknown Name / Unknown Number, it's a telemarketer so I ignore those. People who block their info from transmitting via caller id come across as Private Name / Private Number and I answer those. Do real people ever show up as Unknown Name / Unknown Number?

12. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

If someone calls on a cell phone from an analog only area, it will often come up as unknown on the caller ID, I know this from experience, called a friend while traveling on my cellphone from the middle of nowhere and he did not answer and I left a message and hung up, he called back immediately and said he had not answerd because the caller ID had said Unknown on it like he gets from telemarketers

13. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

so is this for those empty telemarketer calls-- the ones where it hangs up the very second you pick up

This might very well be wardialers. Not that I know anything about this personally, ahem, but hackers often use wardialers to basically poll phone numbers in the hopes of finding modem connections. If they get anything other than the modem pickup tones, then they hang up and cycle on to the next number.

I've seen advertisers use the same technology looking for fax lines.

14. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Yes, Virginia, the Telezapper DOES work! [​IMG]
    I picked one up at lunch today and hooked it up tonight. Within 5 minutes, the phone rang, and guess what it was. Yep, a telemarketer. The 8th time they called today. I picked up the phone, the Telezapper emits a brief tone (about 1/4 second long), and the telemarketer's computer immediately hung up! I nailed one!! We'll see how long it takes for the rate of calls to decrease, but I can see this thing working great until the teletwits catch on and reprogram their computers. But then maybe they'll have an upgradeable Telezapper with monthly updates like they have for antivirus software...
    KJP
    A satisfied Telezapper user for, uh, about 15 minutes now and counting... [​IMG]

15. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Guy's, I used to be a telemarketer about 5 years ago, I know, I HATED it and got out fast, I quit after a week. Point is, we used to dial all the numbers ourselves, and talk to the people, no computers were involved at all, this device will do nothing to stop those types of calls.

16. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

17. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

18. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

19. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

20. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

how much was the one at kmart?

I have a hard time paying 50$ for one...