What's new

Does RP91 have video/audio bit rate displays? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hi All,
I'm auditioning an RP91 and love the video quality of it. But one thing I miss from my old Sony player is the video bit rate and audio bit rate displays. I cannot find these in the Panasonic instruction booklet or onscreen. Am I missing something or does the Panasonic just not have those features?
It's weird that it also doesn't have a time remaining function either, for chapter or title. Nothing major in these omissions, but they were something I thought would almost be standard issue with players nowadays.
Thanks!
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

DanG

Stunt Coordinator
I have actually used the manual to respond to posters questions in this and other forums. This has actually forced me to read IT! So now I have become the devils advocate, it is not that bad a manual
rolleyes.gif
For example, displaying bit rate, well I found it by accident but if I didn't I would look up in the manual on Page 25, under Display menu, the BIT icon. Track remaining time is found on page 24
biggrin.gif
Cheers
Still haven't seen your review of the PT-47 at Panasonic egroups.
------------------

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ironic that I was just on that page. But I think the time remaining applies only to DVD-A and CDs. It doesn't work for DVDs.
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

DanG

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately you are correct about DVD-V time remaining. Like what, for a $500 player than ran out of firmware programming space - oops I forget, it was needed for the 124 different language codes :)
------------------

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
it is not that bad a manual.
Dan,
It depends on your point of view. If you are saying that it does contain a lot of information about the operation of the RP-91 I would agree with you. But if you are saying that it presents that information in clear and readable form, I would repectfully disagree.
It's one thing to contain information, and quite another to index that information in a logical form. In my opinion, the RP-91 manual fails this second parameter miserably. I've owned many, many components in my day and the manual of the RP-91 is one of the least intuitive ones I've come across.
Despite this, it's a full functioned unit and, as such, deserves a better manual to document all these functions.
Thank heavens for the HTF!
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

DanG

Stunt Coordinator
I think my change of heart came a few days ago. I have been answering questions about this and the Denon 4800 receiver. It struck me that both manuals have very similar formats in that they are not intended for "HT forum" users but for novices that want to get up quick and working.
For the rest of us the 91's nuggets are buried deep but so also are some details of the 4800's operation very hard to find, especially some of the bass managemnet info.
As I look through my other manuals of recent component purchases I beleive that almost everybody is using the same technical writers to create these "Quick Start" manuals.
I actually sat down with the 91's manual and mentally went through it as a first time user would and realized I acheived the end result of an operable 91. I agree with you that this format does make specific details hard to find.
Maybe they should start adding addenda to the manuals for techie users :)
------------------

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So has anyone figured out how to get the audio bit rate? It says something like that is possible in the manual but I can't figure out how to get it to display.
I agree with Rob. There's a lot of info there in the manual but it's not presented in a clear, concise manner.
In my experience, my Sony players have come with some of the better manuals I've read. Layout isn't cluttered, indexed, lots of pictures/diagrams.
------------------

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Maybe they should start adding addenda to the manuals for techie users
Actually, a competent index would be a good place for Panasonic to start. It doesn't make sense to have to scour the entire manual every time some small detail comes up.
Don't get me wrong. The RP91 is a full-featured unit which, in many cases, has so many controls and options that this can make normal tasks tedious the first time around.
Case in point. Today I was trying to watch a DTS soundtrack with my grandkids (Lady & the Tramp II) and I couldn't get the DTS to trigger on my DENON 5700 even though the RP-91 audio menu indicated "DTS." I finally realized the "problem." When I had set up the RP-91 I had set the DD5.1 to bitstream (rather than PCM) but had neglected to set the DTS to bitstream (it was set to PCM which caused the problem). Most players I've owned have a setting (PCM/Bitstream) that covers all surround sound formats so the error was really mine, not the RP-91. But it sure would have been more convenient if there had been some mention of the ability to set different outputs to different types of surround systems (or at least to make the default the SAME for both DD5.1 and DTS with an option to vary it later on.)
Now let's see if we can get this thread back on track and help Carlo with his audio bit rate problem....
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

DanG

Stunt Coordinator
Well I think your Sony has one up on the 91. I looked through the manual again and can't find any mention of an audio bit rate display. Doesn't surprise me as my former A320 only showed the video bit rate also.
------------------

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Dan,
The Sony may have two up on the Panny. It has a feature that makes the player choose the highest # of channels soundtrack as default (i.e. will start playing the 5.1 automatically, if that track is available).
I have been scouring the manual for this feature but alas I don't think the RP91 does it.
Oh well, I'll just have to settle for superior picture instead of bells and whistles. At this price (I paid sub $500) I don't think I can complain. If I really wanted the best of both worlds I'd buy the 9000ES with some sort of scaler for 4:3 material.
wink.gif

------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks