What's new

Does no tolerance for P&S include "Follow That Bird" (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
WB will be slipping Sesame Street's big screen flick "Follow That Bird" out on DVD Tuesday - in 1.33:1 (Standard) only. Since this one had been shown theatrically, I have to beleive that it used the AR of the "MUPPET" movies, 1.85:1.

It's my beleif that if this one doesn't get commented on than another and another that Warner's doesn't think we care about will come out in P&S... or P&S until we complain - which as it delays the widescreen, hurts the OAR sales.

Thoughts?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'll be waiting for more info before picking this up (it would be a present for my wife). Even IMDB has no info about aspect ratio. If it's truly p&s, no sale. If it's OAR I'll buy it for her. If it's open-matte, I'll hold my nose and buy it for her.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
How about we find out for sure that it's non-OAR?

We don't need the kind of confusion caused by the Fox family DVD's, Neverending Story I and II, and Cats & Dogs.

Heck, there isn't even any reviews out yet!

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
I have to agree with Patrick on this one. I have been waiting for the usual suspects to post the back cover art (dvdempire, dvdplanet) Neither has received their shipment yet so no definite either way. Other places are showing a 3/26 street date (buy.com). Seems to be a lot of uncertainty here.

The movie is only 80-some minutes long it could easily be a dual format release, as Willy Wonka was originally intended to be, if it is not OAR.

I'm holding off judgment until I see the back cover.

-Chad

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, we ought to know tomorrow. Best Buy has it in their sale flyer for just $12.99...which is about thirteen dollars too much for a MAR edition, if you ask me! :)

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
This was the only title I was going for this weekend. If it is MAR, I will have my first "week off" since I can recall.

It will be a shame too. If I remember correctly, I enjoyed this movie more than many of the "Muppet" adventures.

c

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I can almost guarantee it's not open-matte- the only Muppet film shot open-matte was "The Muppet Movie", and if you get a chance to see the original 1981 Magnetic Video laserdisc (or possibly the 20th Century Fox Video VHS or Beta) you'll see why they didn't shoot the rest that way! (I have Follow That Bird on CED, and it's definitely cropped.)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
If "The Muppet Movie" was open matte, something happenned to warrant pan and scanning anyway. I watched the movie for years on my square television, and was delighted with the recent DVD to find that there was much activity I missed as a result. Particularly in the opening scenes in the theater, there are many creatures which did not appear in the square version.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Later "Standard" versions of "The Muppet Movie" were zoomed in to crop the sides, but the laserdisc I have shows the Muppet operators at the bottom of the screen! I always show that to people to explain how some films are shown open-matte!

Rob T

Screenwriter
I'm a big fan of the muppets and would buy this disc if it was in OAR, but since it's in p&s forget it!

NO OAR = NO SALE!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I wanted to buy this movie. But since it's P&S, I won't be buying it untill it's 16x9!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks