What's new

Does Bestbuy.com charge tax for in store pick up? (1 Viewer)

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if Bestbuy.com charges you tax if you choose to pick the item up at one of their stores. It says it saves you shipping costs but doesnt say anything about tax. I think this would be a good idea if you could order it online then pick it up at the store for higher priced items, you could save a few bucks. thanx

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
You will actually see the sales tax added even before you complete the checkout -- assuming it applies, of course.

John Lloyd

Second Unit
They have to if you are picking up in person and if your state has a sales tax.
Entering pedantic mode
I believe that sales tax is an indirect tax. The state charges the store for the sale, not the consumer for the purchase. Of course, most stores turn around and pass the cost directly to the consumer :frowning:
Exiting pedantic mode
Isn't it great how government found a way to tax our income twice (if your state doesn't have income tax) or three times?

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
funny, not where i live
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If that's true, then it is because local laws allow it.
actually, it's a state law, no sales tax in Oregon.:)

M

MaxY

OK I happen to know how the law is laid out for this one, though I am not going to say that all retailers follow the laws.

If you mail order something, from a catalog, the net or phone, then you do not have to pay local sales tax, unless there is a branch or office in your state.

Which means you should be charged tax from Best Buy online even if they mail it to you, if they have a store in your state.

Now you may argue with what I just said but please don't bother. That is the law and I know it to be true becuase of some legal action that went on in our office on such matters.

Now maybe some e-Tailers don't follow it, but I suspect eventually it will catch up to them.

Max

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
The Trick is to have the store ship by fed ex to a near by state that does not charge sales tax for pick up, then call fed ex and have the package re routed to your home address.

kd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks