What's new

Does anyone know if Resident Evil 4 will support pro-scan? (1 Viewer)

Josh Q S

Stunt Coordinator
It sucks the other 2 didn't :frowning: Some of the best-looking video games ever made, yet they still look like VHS tapes compared to pro-scan titles :frowning:

Capcom better get with the times!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think this is least important thing to find out about with this game. Barely anything is known about it so far anyway.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
There was an interview a while back in an issue of EGM where they interviewed the current producer for the Resident Evil series. If memory serves he was asked about progressive scan and his answer was that they did not have time to implement the feature in Resident Evil 0 but they do have progressive scan support in part 4 of the series. I'll see if I can dig up the issue.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I think this is least important thing to find out about with this game.
1) It may be the least important thing to you, but it isn't the least important thing to everyone.

2) Since this is the gaming area at a Home Theater forum, the question is very valid and reasonable.

3) Your dismissal response is unproductive and basically serves as a thread fart.:thumbsdown:

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
The key words in Morgan's post are "I think". He can think whatever he wants. I think the Resident Evil series sucks, no matter how well it's displayed, because the controls are so wonky. In my humble opinion.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Of course a person can think whatever he/she wants, but does that justify summarily dismissing the questions/concerns of another poster?

-Dave

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
Sup peeps.....i think anyone with a screen bigger then 42"....progressive scan is very important .... to me its a MUST if i want to enjoy my games and i hope RE4 dose suport it.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
My screen is 46", and yet somehow I can still manage to enjoy a good game, even if it's not in progressive scan. Sometimes (gasp) it's even 16 bit. Is it nice to see games in 480p? Sure, but not doing so isn't a deal-breaker.

These forums are full of posts summarily dismissing what other posters have to say, like someone telling me what I should consider important based on my tv size. I just wanted to avoid this thread turning into yet another "STFU Morgan" thread. If it becomes a "STFU Allen" thread, my work is done.

You think Capcom's dropping the ball with the RE series, with its great, if interlaced, graphics? Check out "Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO". That game looks like ass. High-quality 3-D backgrounds and pixelated sprite characters. What a disappointment.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
My screen is 46", and yet somehow I can still manage to enjoy a good game, even if it's not in progressive scan. Sometimes (gasp) it's even 16 bit. Is it nice to see games in 480p? Sure, but not doing so isn't a deal-breaker.
Sure, but what does that have to do with the question the original poster asked? The point of the thread was whether the game would include support for progressive scan or not. He didn't ask for the forum to debate the merits of its inclusion nor the quality of said games. Seems fairly straight forward.

So to put it bluntly how about those not on topic STFU and get back to the subject at hand (ie wether or not RE4 will have prog scan).:D

Josh Q S

Stunt Coordinator
Hahaha, ahh geez guys, is this "hometheatreforum" or "gamefaqs" :P

Obviously, since this is a home theater forum, most of us either have a pretty decent TV, set of speakers, etc., or we're gathering info/opinions on purchasing said products in the near/distant future. Either way, we're pretty much all tech-geeks, right? I know I am :)

Anyone who has seen an interlaced version of a game next to the same game running in 480p will testify that the quality jump is VERY significant. It's basically like going from VHS to DVD as far as picture quality goes. Let me put it this way; let's say Star Wars Episode II was released only in VHS format. How many of us would buy it? I sure wouldn't have, because it's one of the (if not THE) best looking/sounding DVDs out there, and it's great for showing off the rig. Same applies to Resident Evil 4. Judging by the first 2 Gamecube games (and by the amazing trailer), it's safe to say that RE4 could very well be one of THE best looking games to be released (I'm not talking polygon counts, or 3D/2D debates here, I'm talking plain old "damn, that looks good!").

Bottom line: If this game is interlaced, I won't buy it (I LOVE the RE games, but I don't find myself playing through a particular title more than 2 times) Call me an HDTV snob, call me spoiled by technology, but my decisions are exactly that, MY decisions. However, if RE4 supports progressive scan, I'll most likely buy it. Something to "Ooh and Aah" the gaming friends of mine :)

Of course I'd still by games that don't support progressive scan, I don't dismiss any title just because of this feature. I'm quite aware that games are much, much more than pretty graphics on killer set-ups, believe me, I still fondly remember playing sega master system's double dragon on my B&W TV :)

Josh Q S

Stunt Coordinator
BTW, thanks Romier S. That's the most promising info I've heard thus far. I'd appreciate it greatly if you could track down that EGM article :)

Josh Q S

Stunt Coordinator
Hahaha, you got me there :)

The thing about Resident Evil games, like I said, is that I don't put 100s of hours into them, like say Vice City. Vice City is a game I would, and did buy regardless of 5.1, progressive, etc. It's a damn good game and shouldn't be missed... even on a 17" B&W TV ;) However, as much as I love the RE games, they present a pretty intense/linear experience from start to finish, which means you gotta be in a certain mood to play 'em. I'll definitely rent. play, and beat the game once at the very least (assuming in this case that it doesn't support pro-scan). But since the RE games are known for their incredibly detailed characters/environments, it would make me angry if Capcom chose NOT to implement pro-scan. It's like if Lucas Films chose NOT to release Episode II on DVD, but only VHS; I just wouldn't buy it out of spite, lol.

BTW, if you're thinking "the difference between interlaced and pro-scan games isn't THAT big" then you either:

a) Haven't actually seen a pro-scan title on a pro-scan compatible TV.

b) Saw the pro-scan title on a damaged/poorly configured/RP TV (sorry, this is just my opinion, and RP TO ME doesn't even come close to touching the clarity of my Zenith 36" flat screen HDTV.)

...Hmmmm, I guess I am an HDTV snob, lol. Perhaps the defining moment was the week after I got my HDTV when I visited my in-law's and their interlaced television made my bowels turn, hahaha :)

James St

Supporting Actor
BTW, if you're thinking "the difference between interlaced and pro-scan games isn't THAT big" then you either:

a) Haven't actually seen a pro-scan title on a pro-scan compatible TV.

b) Saw the pro-scan title on a damaged/poorly configured/RP TV (sorry, this is just my opinion, and RP TO ME doesn't even come close to touching the clarity of my Zenith 36" flat screen HDTV.)

c) Have a HD set with a decent line doubler which minimizes the differences between the two.

Yes there is a noticeable difference between 480i and 480p but for me its not dramatic night/day.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Romier, thanks for editing your original post.

I doubt there's any thread on these forums that only contains posts directly related to the topic title. Josh brought up several points in his original post and later reply that merit discussion. Once the question was answered (by Romier only), debating whether progressive scan is necessary to enjoy a game is a natural progression, so to speak. Should the thread be ignored/locked until Romier tracks down the EGM article, or should we continue an interesting debate and pointing out obvious contradictions in people's posts?

And I certainly wouldn't buy Episode II on VHS. Why would I want to own any copy of that POS? :D

Josh Q S

Stunt Coordinator
"And I certainly wouldn't buy Episode II on VHS. Why would I want to own any copy of that POS? "

lol, well met ;)

Let's continute the debate, it's much more interesting than waiting for an article, hehe.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Should the thread be ignored/locked until Romier tracks down the EGM article, or should we continue an interesting debate and pointing out obvious contradictions in people's posts?
Discuss away Allen. My only issue was that up until the last three or four post this wasn't "interesting conversation". It was a semi-argument about whether one or two peoples opinion should or should not be dismissed. In the middle of that no one bothered to try and answer the original question and the purpose behind the original post. Speaking of which I'll track down that issue of EGM tonight. have to dig through my "toilet" material:D.

Its Josh's thread and he seems to be all for the debate so hey, carry on men:).

Josh Q S

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, Michael. I had MGS2 running on my PS2 and Xbox and the difference was definitely not subtle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks