What's new

Does anyone else have a stack of games waiting for them to play through? (1 Viewer)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I look over at my bookshelf every day. What I see stare back at me almost gives me shame.

Shame that I don't seem to be able to make enough time to put aside to do all the fun things that I want do to.

This is what I have to either start, or finish playing through:

PS2:
  • Maximo
  • Metal Gear Solid 2
  • Half-Life
  • Deus Ex
  • SOCOM (never finished the single-player mode)
  • ICO
  • Star Trek: Elite Force
  • GTA: Vice City

XBox:
  • Steel Battalion
  • Oddworld:Munch's Odyssee
  • 007:Nightfire
  • Blood Omen 2
  • Azurik
  • Spider-Man
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta
Gamecube:
  • Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee
  • Metroid Prime
  • Sonic Adventure 2

This doesn't even include all the really cheap DC games I've picked up over the past year, or the fighting & racing games that Leslie & I need to play & unlock, like VF4,Need For Speed:HP2,Wipeout Fusion, & MK: Deadly Alliance...plus this nagging feeling that I have to play though Halo again...

It's not that I hate any of these games...it just seems that life keeps getting in the way :frowning:

And it's not as if I haven't been keeping busy. Over the past two weeks I've beaten Ghost Recon, MechAssault,LOTR: TTT, & finished my season in NFL2K3.

At least in my favor is the fact that I'm only buying 2 games over the next 3 months - Zelda & DMC 2.

(Not that there is still a bunch of games out now that I want...I'll just wait for them to come down in price before I get them)

Like Splinter Cell.
& Medal of Honor: Frontline.Not to mention most of the recent Star Wars games...

Don't feel bad for me, though...at least I have vacations coming up...& I know of the gaming goodness that awaits me :D

I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as I am...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I wish I had enough money to buy so many games that I couldn't play through them all. I have about 90+ games that I've bought within the last few years, and I've been able to play each one enough to judge it or even beat it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not to the same extent, but I got four games for Christmas for the Gamecube:
Super Mario Sunshine
SSX Tricky
Gauntlet Legends
A Motorcross game, the name I've forgotten

I still need to finish the last level of Pikmin.

And I'm only halfway through Rogue Leader, and have one competition in Tony Hawk 3 to medal in to "finish" it.

Currently, I'm working on SMS (19 Shines!) But perhaps if I postpone real cross-country skiing 'til tomorrow, I could find time for some virtual SSX skiing today :)

Andre F

Screenwriter
Calvin,
I still have games from last Xmas nevermind this Xmas and I keed buying more. The last one was Panzer, I just couldn't help myself...:D

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I made a list a little while ago to see if that would help. I figured if I could just play through them one at a time, staying focused on that title, that I could get through some of them. It hasn't helped.

The main problem, besides always getting new games, is that I like to play multiplayer. Getting XBox Live a few weeks ago has definitly put a hold on me getting through any of these.

Battlezone
Battlezone 2
Blackthorne
C&C: Yuri's Revenge
Dark Reign 2
Deus Ex
Dungeon Siege
Earth 2150: Moon Project
Emperor: Battle for Dune
Flashback
Freedom Force
F-Zero X
Gabriel Knight 3
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Grand Theft Auto 3
Homeworld
Jedi Outcast
Jet Grind Radio
Jet Set Radio Future
Kings Quest 8
Longest Journey
Medal of Honor
Metal Gear Solid
Metroid Prime
Myth 2
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
Outcast
Rayman 2
Resident Evil - Code Veronica
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Rogue Leader
Sanitarium
Sega GT 2002
Starcraft: Brood War
System Shock 2
Thief 2
Zelda: Ocarina of Time

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I was so busy always playing xbox live multi player i still have to finish the single player modes from a bunch of games and play some others i havent even started

Splinter Cell- Only 2 missions left but i left for vacation
Ghost Recon, Mech Assault single player missions
Buffy:TVS
Shen-Mue II-Played 3/4 of it and then xbox live came out, It will get finished once i get back

GC
Metroid Prime -Didnt open yet
Starfox adventures-Played a bit

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
If I made a list of the games I have not beaten it would take up two pages. My problem is that my attention shifts often. One day I'll feel like playing a certain game and I'll roll through it like there is no tommorrow but then I feel like playing something else.

It really depends on the game for me. Some games just capture me and never let go until I've played them to a point that I feel I've gotten the most out of them (Panzer Dragoon Orta, Silent Hill 2, Rez, Steel Batallion etc...).

It doesn't really bother me to have so much on deck. I know I will eventually get through them all. If its a game I want to specifically write a review for, I make it a point to buckle down and play through it until the end and beyond. Previously I did the first impressions stuff (and I still do from time to time) and thats fine but for reviews I like to have the game as fully completed as possible. The reviews are a good source of motivation for me.:emoji_thumbsup:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I've got a stack-o-games for the Dreamcast that I haven't even broken the plastic on, just because I like $7 games. How many eventually get played is anyone's guess.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I probably have 100+ games I'm not finished with. The problem is that I'll keep going back to older games, like Romance of the Three Kingdoms 7. I've probably played through that one at least 15 times.

Damien

Supporting Actor
i am going through the same trouble.......i'd say out of my current xbox/gc collection i have "finsished" around 35%. I wish i knew what the problem is, since when i was a kid i usually completed most of my games multiple times, or at least got to the very end. I have to say though in order to be able to purchase games, I work during my free time, and go to school during the week, leaving me a small window of time, which i don't always wan't to spend playing games. I think having three consoles releasing an onslaught of games contributes, as there always is a game around the corner that you want, but then after a couple of days at home/getting stuck it sits/gathers dust sometimes not played for weeks. I think back in the day the only option i had for entertainment was my snes/tv. now with these dvd players/tivo's/direct tv and the invention of the computer in the homes there is always something to do, watch, research, etc. and it seems like sleep has more control over me than ever before. Well this is wandering into a personal bio. so that's my 2 cents.

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
I have very few games to finish. I will typically only play one at a time until it is done. I hate bouncing between stories in games, they somehow lose their magic that way I think.

I have a few here I haven't started due to something else I am playing. Most often I will buy a game, pop it in for about 30 mins, then put it aside till I am done with the current game I am playing.

Considering I just picked up an Xbox over Xmas, I now have a few titles lying around to be played.

Splinter cell, and Mech Assault, once I am done Panzer Dragoon.

Luigi's mansion, and Res Evil 1 for GC

And I have never got around to playing Devil may cry 1.

Just wish I had more time for gaming, the biggest problem is my wife loves to watch most of the game I play with me, so consequently I don't get to do alot of gaming in my free time. Not that her watching is a bad thing, I guess I just have to find some games she hates ;)

KC

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I have quite a few games that I haven't finished. I never touched the single player mode in SOCOM (but played it a lot online). Contra for PS2 has left me whimpering. Toejam and Earl 3 I like a lot, but haven't played much.

When I play a game, I try to play it all the way through, so I don't often play more than 2 20+ hour games. I don't have the time, but it also seems to take something away from a game like Resident Evil 0 if I play it for a week, don't touch it for a week, then play it for an hour here and there.

Currently I'm working on Shenmue 2 and Panzer Dragooon Orta. I'd like to finish both by the time Phantasy Star Online comes out for the XBOX so I can join up with the OAR Avengers again.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Before I answer this question, I'd like to ask what we all mean by "finishing" a game. Does this include finding every item, unlocking every feature, and playing through the hardest difficulty level, or does it simply mean beating the final boss and seeing the end credits? If it's the former, then I have a stack of games like the rest of you. Otherwise, I can't say my pile is all that big at all.

What's my amazing secret? I DON'T BUY SO MANY FREAKING GAMES!!! Right now, I'm playing through several games: Mechassault, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and TimeSplitters 2. I still must defeat the single player game, and I have yet to tire of playing it on Xbox Live. I will play through Panzer Dragoon Orta on Hard and possibly play through the original game. With TimeSplitters 2, I still need to beat the game on Hard. Hell, I have yet to beat the first level on Hard, and believe me, it's not as if I haven't tried to do so. Once I'm done with Panzer Dragoon I suspect that I will pick up Splinter Cell and then hold out for The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. I only buy the games that intrigue me the most and I refuse to purchase more than one game at a time (except on special occasions). Believe me, if you don't distract yourself with every new game, you will find it much easier to play a game all the way through.

I may not have done everything I could do on most of the games I own, but I don't really care that much to be honest. I feel like I've experienced the best that those games have to offer, even if I didn't get every gold medal on Rogue Leader or unlock all of those disarms in Dead to Rights. Sometimes those little extras just are not worth the time and effort needed to earn them. I feel I've gotten my money's worth out of them, and that's what's really important to me.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Well, what I mean by beating the game is just finishing the main singe player mode.

Jeez, if I went & opened up everything that was on every disc, the only way I'd be able to do that is win the lottery :D

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, well if I only look at the current generation of consoles, I'm actually doing pretty well. True, I only have 4 gamecube games and 7 Xbox games, but I've finished most of em (Just haven't made it through Starfighter or Tony Hawk 2x yet). Now the GBA is a different matter, since I haven't finished MOST of what I have there. Golden Sun, Chu Chu Rocket and Mario Kart are still just sitting there waiting to be beaten.

And PC games...don't even get me started there. I find that they're a LOT easier to drop. Still haven't even finished Max Payne, Freedom Force, Alice, No One Lives Forever or Bond Nightfire-and that's just what I happen to have installed right now.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I've got stacks of uncompleted games. And you know what? I love it. I love having a choice of games to play when I want to play. I love having a "library" of genres & styles sitting there. Do I want a quick blast on a shooter? Let's get a little further in Ikaruga or Gunbird 2 then. Do I fancy some squad combat? Let's have a go on Ghost Recon. Do I fancy some story? Let's get through that next dungeon in NWN, etc.

I used to feel compelled to "beat" every game, but I've got past that point :) I believe research has shown that most gamers don't come close to finishing every game they own/buy. Heck, just last weekend I went back & finished the championship I'd started in StuntGP over a year ago, and after that, got past the bit I was frustrated at in HeadHunter (six months ago). C'est la vie.

And PC games...don't even get me started there. I find that they're a LOT easier to drop.
For some reason, that's true for me too.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I'm in a similar boat, and have decided not to buy any more games until I beat the ones I have (except for Devil May Cry 2- the deal at Circuit City is too good to pass up). I still have to finish:

Splinter Cell (only 1/3 through it)
Hitman 2 (haven't even started)
The Thing (haven't even started)
Tony Hawk 4 (haven't even started)
Panzer Dragoon Orta (haven't even started)
Jet Set Radio Future (1/2 through it)
Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams (just started it)

I think the problem is that I buy most of my games used or when I see them at a great price that I can't pass up. However, there aren't too many games that I plan to purchase over the next few months, so I should be able to make this list last for awhile. Come to think of it, the only title I am really looking forward to over the next few months is the new Indiana Jones title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks