What's new

Dodge Razor (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I saw some pictures of the Dodge Razor on web sites and it looks very interesting. Does anybody have any information on when it might come out? With a $15,000 USD price tag, it'll move big numbers.

jeremy

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Jeremy ... I agree with you ... the Razor is a fantastic car, but are you sure it will sticker at around $15K. Where did you read this info?

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
It looks sharp and it has performance, but the chrome dash with the enormous round gauge (I read that's an analog tach with a digital speedometer) goes overboard for the faux retro look. And it has no luxuries. No leather seats, no power anything, no radio. They might as well leave out the air conditioning too, that'll buy even more horsepower.

But it's supposed to be an inexpensive car for the young crowd. I don't know if it will be $15,000 but that sounds like not enough for a car with that much horsepower.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i remember seeing this car on an auto show special. mainly because it came with those goofy razor scooters. the thing that struck me as odd was that they claimed the car did not come with room for a spare tire. that seems totally absurd but the car looks sweet...except for the fugly orange color.

razor.jpg

kevin t

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I don't find it to be very retro at all. The only old car I can think of right now that fits the two seat/high power profile right now is the first and second generation Corvettes and this looks nothing like it. Nor do I find it to be similar to British convertables. Speaking of which, where is the convertable model? Power windows and a radio would be nice, but I can live without. With two doors I don't realy need power locks. If I can reach the passenger door on my 72 Cadillac, I'm sure I'll be able to reach it on this car. I'm sure they will offer air.

jeremy

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Looks...well, it looks sharp! :)
But where does the front license plate go? In CA it is required and they seem to be cracking down on the cars without them now (probably due to the red light cameras).

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Wow if that thing really is 250hp and $14,500 it will be the ultimate performance bargain! It's great to see a stripped down, front engine, RWD "real sports car" coming out at an afordable price.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
shawn:

i'm pretty sure it's a new vehicle and not a neon re-hash because i remember seeing an auto show special on tv. the thing that stuck out in my mind is that the vehicle comes standard with those razor scooters and the show's narrator claimed the car did not come with a spare tire. now...whether or not the car actually goes into production and hits the streets is another point entirely.

kevin t

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Neon prototype? LMAO that's bringing it down a notch or two...

I HIGHLY doubt that a car like that can be produced with a $15K price tag... It looks almost identical *cough-copy-cough* of an Audi TT, which is selling for the nearly rediculous price of around $40K for the BASE.

IMO, all of the US car companies are trying to play catch-up these days. They haven't a clue what current buyers want, and the quality isn't always there. They are not very innovative, nor is most of the styling very inspiring. They don't have their finger on the pulse of what is going on, and they are just trying to find a spot in the low cost "tuner" market, because they can't seem to crack it.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I think it might street around that price. They really arer trying to make it a driving only machine. From the article I read in Automobile, they were saying:

- No radio

- No airconditioning

- No trunk (that back doesn't open!)

- Lots of reused parts and tech from other cars (lower R&D cost, lower street cost)

The Audi is really a luxury roadster, with all the associated bells and whistles, plus the luxury badge cost increase.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
But the Mustang weighs a hell of a lot more than the Razor and won't have nearly as good handling and braking as this car (potentially) has. This seems to be a true driver's car, a true sports car, which the Mustang never was and never was intended to be.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I didn't exactly mean 'Neon prototype'. I was saying that it could have just been a neat concept car to wrap around the new turbocharged engine they ARE putting in the Neon.

Oh, and the new Neon is going to be no joke. 205HP, 0-60 in 5.9 sec. It it going to be the fastest car available for under $20,000. This is the kind of car alot of people want. Light, cheap, powerful, cool looking, 4 doors.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
205 turbo flywheel HP will not get a Neon to 60 in 5.9 sec without dropping about 200+ lbs. My R was 2650lb with 195 HP crank stock, and it was right around 6.5 sec 0-60.
As for wrapping the engine around something, this is the engine from the PT Cruiser Turbo...
I'm not saying the Neon will be a bad car, because it sounds good on paper. Reality tends to be a different story. I could build a car for less than 10K right now that is far faster than that, RWD, and more fun.
They are again trying to jump on the bandwagon with this car. I don't see why this one will be any different than the ACR or the R/T. Both did not sell well. The market they are after is already very established. The Japanese cars already have many, many parts and companies supporting the habit, while the Neon will have few companies making additional parts at a higher cost. There are really no parts for Neons because 95% of the people who buy them do not fix them up.
For $25k, you could have a Mustang GT convertible with a good sound system, power windows, V8, etc.
If Ford would get off their a$$, they could stop using a chassis that was designed in the 70s!! for a commuter car (the Fox) and put out something good. I've read good things about the new SVT Cobra, but have yet to read good things about the lower models. This design is tired, and the interior is GARBAGE. I kept up with a 4.6l V8 Mustang in my 1.8L I4 Integra...less weight goes a long way.
I'd rather get a used LS1 Camaro for that kind of cash - much better motor.
As for the Razor, I read that it would be a stripped-down-to-bare-bones kind of car, but I just don't think that will sell. I don't find it particularly attractive either, even compared to the TT, which looks pretty good, IMO (I have two friends that have the twin-turbo model). The Razor's styling leaves something to be desired. It looks like a cross between the new Z car and a VW bug.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
the thing that struck me as odd was that they claimed the car did not come with room for a spare tire. that seems totally absurd
No it doesn't. In this day and age, you don't need a spare tire. It's easier to just pick up the cellphone and call a tire shop. Insurance picks up the tab with no deductable and you're on your way without getting your hands dirty.

Besides, when was the last time you actually used your spare tire?

As for this car, not offering "luxury" options is stupid. With no power anything and no air conditioning, you can forget trying to sell them. Sorry, but I can't see anyone paying $15k for a car that doesn't offer these options. And if they're targeting young people, whose parents are going to shell out $15k for a car?! And what kid can afford $300 car payments and the insurance rate hike that goes along with a car like this?

I just can't see this working. If they throw in options and keep the car under $20k this could compete with the TT quite nicely. I might even be interested in one (whereas you'd never catch me spending $40k on a TT - they're nice, but $40k? I don't think so).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks