What's new

Do you purchase classic TV on DVD shows for your kids to enjoy? (1 Viewer)

BrianHass

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Hassel
I have a 2 year old boy who loves:
Superfriends, Justice League, Batman (All versions)
Speed Racer, He-Man, Flintstones/Jetsons/Jonny Quest (Introducing him to Hong Kong Phooey tonight), Dukes of Hazzard/Knight Rider (As long as there is action happening), Ultraman, Star Trek (Just to see the spaceships, then losses interest)
Most interesting is that he can sit and watch a whole episode of Andy Griffith and love every second of it.
Can't wait for him to get older and begin enjoying more shows with me.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Ditto to the above comments regarding kids. While my 6 year old does know how to run the remotes in his room, he doesn't load dvd players (neither his nor mine). All of what we watch together we watch in the living room anyway, and he doesn't touch that. My collection itself is up in my den, and again, he knows to keep hands off those.

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
My granddaughter, Andrina, is almost 5. She's had her own portable DVD player (bought for her by her mother) for almost 2 years! I thought it was a little much at first, but she's become a pro at spinning DVDs. And she really enjoys watching movies/TV shows.

So far, I've bought her some Disney cartoon movies (which she loves) and last year for Christmas, Duck Tales. I've just introduced her to Popeye, and as she grows up I'll send her (she lives seveal thousand miles away) some Looney Toon and Tom and Jerry collections and eventually Leave it to Beaver and other favorite 50's/60's sitcoms.

She really enjoys the season sets and I hope to introduce her to this forum in another decade!

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
My daughter is 13 and loves MASH. We have been buying and watching it together for about three years now. She also likes Gilligan's Island. My 9 year old son doesn't like any classic television, but loves the Looney Tunes collections.

As far as kids handling DVDs, I taught them how to properly handle the DVDs and they do a great job. They handle and play their own as well as my DVDs. When they were younger, I did catch them mishanding a few (especially when friends were around), got extremely mad (not abusive of course) and now they know better because they know dad may be watching.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I haven't purchased any classic tv shows on DVD specifically for my daughter to watch, but I have shared them with her and she does enjoy a few of them.

She still hasn't quite caught on to the Partridge Family, but she LOVES The Brady Bunch. Just about as much as I do (which is a lot). She'll marathon through them if we aren't doing anything else at the moment. She likes Wonder Woman ok and enjoys a bit of Twilight Zone now and then.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
My 10 y/o daughter loves "Full House" and "Saddle Club" (which unfortunately is not available in season sets) the most. She also enjoys "Freaks and Geeks" but there was ony one season.

She got bored with "Little House," but liked "Highway to Heaven."

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Since we don't watch any current tv series at all in my house, it's all about classic tv via dvd. And my two daughters love all of it. Pretty much anything from the 50's or 60's is enjoyed. But my girls especially like "TAGS", "Leave it to Beaver", "I Love Lucy", "The Dick Van Dyke Show", "The Flintstones", "Road to Avonlea", "Brady Bunch" and "Little House." They've also enjoyed things like "Perry Mason", "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", "Time Tunnel" and "The Big Valley."

Gary "it's really nice to have kids that don't need to see the modern eye scorching, eardrum popping, sex crazed MTV type junk that's offered today in order to be entertained" O.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

I don't purchase classic TV for kids, but for myself.

However, I have shared Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, & Three Stooges (not a TV show really) with my niece & nephew & they LOVE these shows.

Dan_V

Agent
I don't buy tv shows for my son to watch as he is only two, but I hope he will watch them when he is old enough to appreciate them. By the time he is old enough, shows like Seinfeld, Buffy, etc. will probably no longer be in syndication, and shows like Smallville, 24, Nip Tuck, etc. will have run there course. My guess is that he won't complain as much about black and white shows as much as to why everything isn't hi definition

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
My 5 y.o. son enjoys Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds and Speed Racer. He also watches anything superhero ('67 Spiderman, Superfriends, JLA, Batman, Superman, etc.)

My 9 y.o. daughter likes Brady Bunch (which she bought with birthday money).

And they both like Looney Tunes and Animaniacs/Pinky and the Brain.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
No kids yet, but I can't say that I didn't have the idea in the back of my mind when buying things like the Muppet Show, and some of the Disney Treasures and Looney Tunes sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks