What's new

Do you pretend to be cool during airline turbulence? (1 Viewer)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Usually I'm reading or something but when we hit unexpected turbulence I nonchalantly stop reading, look around, and try to pretend that I'm used to this stuff...meanwhile my heartbeat has doubled! :b

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I try to lead the other passengers in a rousing rendition of:

We love you Beatles
Oh yes we do
We don't love anyone
As much as you
When you're not with us
We're blue
Oh Beatles,
We love you

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
I take it Drew, you flew somewhere over the Midwest this weekend???

Usually it doesn't bother me. I actually LIKE a bumpier ride (it makes me feel more like Im in a car... Easier on my stomach.)

I flew from O'hare to Lousiville on Thursday on a tiny little 20 seater. Ride was MODERATLY bumpy the whole way, but then we hit a pocket during a fairly steep banking turn while we were lining up for landing, and I LITERALLY thought the plane was going to flip over. Stewardesses fell over onto passengers, stuff fell off tray tables and into the aisles, etc... We all instinctively grabbed the seats in front of us, so I knew I wasn't alone in thinking we were done for... Later confirmed with my wife (who was 3 rows behind me...) that she thought we were about 5 seconds away from the pilot winning the "John F. Kennedy Jr.- Great Achievements in Aviation Award."

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Coming home from my honeymoon years ago, one of our engines flamed out (it was night and I was seated near the wing) and we had to make an emergency landing, complete with all the trucks alongside the runway, that being stated any time I fly (and that is RARELY) any bump during the flight almost sends me into a complete breakdown. :thumbsdown:

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Erik, just came back from Tulsa last night (don't tell anyone I went to Oklahoma on business...talk about a b-o-r-i-n-g city).

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

I love to ride Jetblue EXCEPT THEY DON'T SELL DRINKS ON THE LONG BEACH TO OAKLAND I FLY TWICE A WEEK!
If I am going down, I want to go drunk passed out at my seat Dammit!

Generaly if I am going coast to coast I like to do the red eye. The last two times I woke up half way with the cold sweats and my heart going double time. Dont know why but scary.

LewB

Screenwriter

So Jet Blue has DTV :emoji_thumbsup: but no booze :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Guess you can try stashing some 'airline bottles' in your carry on. Or will you be subjected to a full body cavity search if the scanner spots the bottles ? :b :b

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Have you ever seen a stress test on an airplane during certification? turbulance isn't going to break it, that's for damn sure.

However, if they fly you INTO (not over or around) a thunderstorm, the downdrafts can exceed the aircrafts climb capability, or break it up, or hail on it...

Alex-C

Screenwriter
ebay drink coupons.

you can get enough coupons to buy a round for the whole plane for next to nothing.

:)

j.k. I too use the stone skipping across the pond thought.
it helps.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Well it's either play it cool or cry in panic. Panicking doesn't go over too well with everyone else on de plane.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Turbulance has only really bothered me once. A friend and I were flying down to Texas and hit some nasty chop. The airplane was bopping around so hard that it knocked the stewardess' off their feet, one of them landing in the empty seat next to me. She quickly buckled in right there and gave a somewhat concerned look which didn't help my panic much. Made it through okay though. For me, the worst part of flying is the 1st 5 minutes during and after take-off. It seems to me that if anything is going to go wrong, that would be the time. After that, a vodka/tonic usually does the trick. :emoji_thumbsup:

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I attempted to smuggle a 6 pack once. I eventually got through (with the brew), but not before I spent 1/2 hour at the security booth while they were working to confirm the presence of dangerous chemicals (bombs ingredient) whose traces had been detected on the bottles.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks