What's new

Do you live an unconventional lifestyle? (1 Viewer)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
What is the difference between conventional and unconventional? A subjective definition of either.:)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
While we're pondering that...is there such a thing as an unconventional oven?

Hmm...the root word for conventional is convent. Since we don't live in convents, I guess that makes all of us unconventional.

No offense to HTF members who live in convents intended, of course!

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I am not like most females. I dont like to shop (unless its for DVDs or electronics) or own many pairs of shoes. I don't get my nails or my hair done. I can't relate to any of them and have nothing but superficial relationships with the couple I do know. I've always been friends with other males. I wear only jeans and tshirts and absolutely hate wearing dresses or heals. I'm WAY into computers. I'm a huge geek that carries a PDA and a leatherman. And if you looked at me, you'd never know.
If that makes me conventional or unconventional is your call. :D

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's not so strange, considering you say they're lovers... :rolleyes
I like to think I'm extremely normal: I don't smoke, I wear mostly golf shirts and jeans, I don't drink beer or coffee, I play golf, I stick to the speed limit, I have a mix of liberal and libertarian political opinions, I love sunshine, I like country music, metal and mainstream pop, I love movies, I play the guitar, I'm happily married.
I'm a real dork. :)
/Mike

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
Love this thread. I'm kind of a voyeur at heart and I love hearing about how other people live.
On the surface, my life is pretty conventional. I'm happily married (though I have deep misgivings about participating in so flawed an institution), and I live in a pretty average house in Minneapolis with my husband, two huge lazy tomcats (Bunsen and Beaker), and a black lab mix (Lando).
My husband and I both studied in college to be professional classical musicians, so unsurprisingly, neither of us is actually making a living that way. We both hold down jobs in higher education (something we both believe in deeply), though neither of us teaches. We are currently child-free, though we haven't ruled out having children.
My major passions in life (besides my husband) are reading (classics, modern literary fiction, sf, fantasy, and some trash), music (classical, the whole gamut of pop, and classic jazz), and film (absolutely anything, but I especially love 40s-60s American classics). Other interests are computers (though I'm really not a true geek), bridge, wine, cooking, and of course, audio and home theater.
My views are generally very liberal. I feel a bit lonely in the world sometimes because of that, but really, I pretty much fit in -- at least here in the sorta-big city.
Conventional or not? I guess I can't say.
:)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I do get off on state-of-the-art military technology--specifically, the all-new F-22 Raptor
It's a nice plane, Jack, but I'm much more interested in Nasa's Hyper-X airplane. Mach 10! Would blow by even the fabled X15! And the idea is to have us civilians ride in it, close to the edge of space. I KNOW you like that idea. :)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to think that I'm pretty much a true geek, which would make me unconventional. I love electronics, both computers and AV gear. There are more computers and DVD players in my apartment than people. I have no debt, which is unusual for my generation (I'm uh 20-something, yeah that's it), yet I use my credit cards for everything cause I hate writing checks and don't want to carry lots of cash.

However I work a 9 to 6 job, and have a pretty set routine and try to get enough sleep. Most of my apartment is decorated in pretty typical/boring fashion. Although my cube has a lava lamp, christmas lights, and a Grateful Dead banner in it. Soon I'll have a nice house in the suburbs that will be suitable for a small family, however it will be just me.

Oh, and I almost always wear jeans and t-shirts.

Tom, could you explain what a hetero life partner is? It confuzles me about as much as Carl's girlfriend's lesbian lover being one of his best friends.

BTW, Pamela and Leila, you two sound like the type of women I wish I could meet.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I walk into the restaurant in Calgary called The Cactus Club. Has the cow and cactus motif. Beautiful waitresses (I was hungry and wanted some eye-candy too!). The Calgary Stampede event is on, and I'm just not into the cowboy/hick redneck thing with the lassoing and riding of four-legged hamburger meat.

So here I am, a Canadian with Chinese-born parents, ogling the waitresses at this pseudo-country restaurant with HOT waitresses in cowgirl outfits (normally they'd wear sulky black outfits), eating chicken strips and fries (with a sweet chili sauce dip...my favorite!), and reading "From Beirut to Jerusalem", a book about the middle-eastern conflict, while sneaking glances oops I mean blatantly ogling the cute girls that saunter by.

BTW I'm agnostic.

Does that mean I'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes? Nah.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Try the Folsom Street festival in SF. I always see something very unconventional there.
Corset twisting really made me uneasy....kept expecting the girl's head to pop like a zit when her waist was about the thickness of her spinal cord.
Live and let live is a good motto if you do go.
Peace Love and Bobby Sherman

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I always thought lesbian meant women who strictly like other women and will have nothing to do with men? Wouldn't Bisexual be more appropriate?

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I'm a mix of both, I think....On paper, my interests and lifestyle are probably unusual. But, my physical 'look" is stuck in gap/old navy, which is pretty everyday. Gay kid from a small town, quits steady job, sells all material posessions except some CD's and his video collection.....and moves to NYC to become an actor and ends up also becoming a dog walker, a bookstore clerk, a temp, and director of customer relations for a publishing firm, while living in an apartment that is the size of his bedroom back home. Yeah, that is unconventional isn't it?

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
Eschewing credit cards and cars I can see, but how to do without a bank account? Use check-cashing services? If the answer's personal, never mind. Just trying to figure out how one would be able to function without at least a checking account.
I haven't had any sort of bank account in six years. The last checking account I had was supposed to be free, and I had direct deposit. However, little charges kept showing up and the bank kept getting greedier and greedier (charging to call the 800 no. to check your account balance, for example), so I dumped them and now get a nice, normal paper check every two weeks I take to the bank it's drawn on and, much against their will, force said bank to give me my money.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I live in sin with my girlfriend. We have two cats. I'm very liberal and after she took a course in political science she seems to be leaning a little bit more to the right than I am comfortable with. She's Catholic and I'm an Atheist (Sounds like a bad John Ritter sitcom, no?) She is a neat freak and I have resolved myself to live with miles of wire everywhere. :D
I don't read enough and lately my choice in films has been almost entirely "junkfood" and that bothers me. I dug the kind bud for a summer or two and decided I hated Phish AND The Grateful Dead too much to really get further into the drug scene. ;)
I used to have hair that went past my shoulders, but corporate America demanded it be shorter. I have worked in Human Resources and I am still recovering.
I refuse to label myself, because after re-reading what I wrote I am confused. :)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Carl,
If we would of had a conversation like this while playing NFL2K1 online, I would of stopped playing and just let you talk. :)
I live a pretty basic life. I am 27, a Network Admin, and divorced. I play softball, mountain bike, and work out. I am a video game and HT freak. I used to be a long haired hippie, now I have a haircut like someone from N'Sync. :)
I dress pretty casual, but nice. In the summer I wear nothing but cargo shorts, sandles, and either button up shirts or sleevless shirts. I do make sure though that I wear my Dead shirts for softball. :emoji_thumbsup:
I am just now ready to get back into the dating game, but I don't know what type of girl I really want. All I know is I don't want her to be like my Ex, too high maintenance. ;)
I got to keep my house after my divorce and don't have any kids. I have two wonderful dogs though that are much better company than most people. I like paintings by Miro, Picasso, and Van Gogh. Those three line my walls, except for the theater room (only movie posters in there).
I have one tattoo (a steal your face with Jerry Garcia where the lighting bolt would be) and plan to get a couple more. I am very laid back person who doesn't care that his girlfriend/wife stays out until four in the morning with her friends. If she wants to be real sweetheart, she can bring one of her friends home with her. ;)
I listen too everything from the Dead to James Taylor to Ben Folds Five to Marilyn Manson. I hate Phish (Grateful Dead Lite). I am not a movie snob and will watch most anything (hate most chick flicks though). I enjoy films like A.I. just as much as The Rock. :)
Oh and one last thing. I am very hot. :D
I guess I am in between.
-Dean-

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Carl,
I noticed you changed the area in your name where it says you are from. Would that be because of this thread. ;)
And you are right, there is a lot more than corn in Indiana. :emoji_thumbsup:
-Dean-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks