What's new

Do you leave when the credits roll? (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Ah. Another person taking the approach of "It really is this important to me but if I take the slightly-humorous approach to saying it, I won't be ridiculed for it; I'll disarm all of those people with my 'humor'"
Oy.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
when I was a projectionist, and the last film got out at like 1am, the credit watchers used to piss me off, if no one stayed for the credits I was out of there 10 minutes sooner :D

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
I guess I'm going to have to be the stick in the mud, but oh well. All I have to say to these people is "boo hoo." Sure, some people stay and watch the credits, most don't...accept it. Most all of us have jobs, and when we do our job well, most people don't even realize it. About the only time people take time to actively think about the jobs of others is when the job is done poorly.

These people get a paycheck and IMHO, that should be enough. It has to be for the rest of society. Sure, if I worked on a film and seen my name scroll across the big screen, I would probably get an ego boost. On the other hand, they go to work to do a job and if the work/paycheck isn't enough for them, maybe they should look for another job.

I know I am probably coming across as a big butthole, but that's the way I feel about things.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"when I was a projectionist, and the last film got out at like 1am, the credit watchers used to piss me off, if no one stayed for the credits I was out of there 10 minutes sooner"

How so? On a platter system you have to let the entire movie run to the end no matter what, and the air blowers should stay on at least 5 minutes after the show ends before being turned off, so you're stuck whether there's 1 or 100 people in the theater. It pissed me off when we had a movie that ran longer than all the others and ended up having no one stay during the credits- obviously they didn't really care about seeing the movie so if they hadn't come at all we wouldn't have had to bother running it.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
How so? On a platter system you have to let the entire movie run to the end no matter what, and the air blowers should stay on at least 5 minutes after the show ends before being turned off, so you're stuck whether there's 1 or 100 people in the theater. It pissed me off when we had a movie that ran longer than all the others and ended up having no one stay during the credits- obviously they didn't really care about seeing the movie so if they hadn't come at all we wouldn't have had to bother running it.

negative. As soon as the last person left I'd stop the projector, leave the payout and takeup on at the platter, open the gate and rollers and pull the film out of the projector (simplex 35 btw) and hold the film by its edges, you can adjust the tension with your fingers so that the take-up rollers are just above the bottom (as fast as it can go) shaves a solid 5-10 minutes depending on how long the credits are, and while you're speeding it through the exhaust is running on the lamphouse, soon as it's done I'm gone.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Why would leaving during the credits be a sign of not wanting to see the movie? I want to see every movie that I go to...but I never stay through the entire credits. I hate it when I'm with someone who does and I have to sit there looking at a bunch of names roll by for no reason at all.

- Jeff

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Boo-hoo is right!

If there are no outtakes to watch during the credits, I'm outta there.

I'm part of a team that delivers a product also. I do not expect those that buy our product to know my name, or know what my contribution was. My paycheck is enough.

EDITED: typo corrections only

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do you watch the credits on your DVDs? They're there too, so if I really want to see them, I can, but I don't usually either on DVD or at the theater.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I'm part of a team that delives a product also. I do not expect those that buy our product to know my name, or know what my contribution was. My paycheck is enough.

Exactly. Maybe every person who participates in the production of the milk I drink should have their name on the bottle. After all, if I enjoy the milk and I don't care to know the name of the driver who delivered the tank of milk to the factory, what kind of person am I? The horror.

That said, I enjoy sitting in the dark if the movie was good, I can sit there and collect my thoughts a while. It's just a nice little meditation session. Sometimes I like to see the names and performers of songs featured in the movie too, and then I have to stay until the end.

But I really don't give a rat's ass wbout who catered the food on the set.

/Mike

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Interesting how a slight and satirical article can stir up such a debate! :)
As for me, I don't usually stay for the credits. Not that I could if I wanted to as my local theaters usually stop the film shortly after the credits start to roll. When I do decide to peruse the credits, it's usually because I'm looking for the name of a piece of music used in the film.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Remember, that faux essay was meant also as humor.

I always watch the credits. No matter what. And no matter how many times I may have seen the film.

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
I watch the credits when I feel like it. Like for outtakes, names of songs played during the movie, or if a song or piece of music is playing throughout the credits that I like. However, I feel no obligation to stay if I don't want to. Like others have said these people got their paychecks and their just rewards for their participation in the film. Not every job is a glamour position. I'm sure if you went in for a heart surgery (yeah I know, huge difference, just bear with me) you wouldn't really need to know the name of the janitor who ensured that the OR floor was sanitary, or the name of the person who delivered the surgical instruments. Some jobs IMO do not need to be included in the credit roll.

I think credits have gotten increasingly bloated. I've seen films where they just end and that's it. I've seen some credit rolls that aren't too long and have most of the pertinent jobs included. Then I see some where everyone from the director to the guy who sharpened the pencils used to make on set script edits is included. It all depends on my mood whether or not I stay or if everyone in a crowded theater is rushing outta there. Then I just sit until they leave so I don't have to elbow my way out of there or I just haul ass so that I can get a headstart on the crowd to the parking lot.

Edit: Minor grammatical error

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
so if they hadn't come at all we wouldn't have had to bother running it.
That's rather fucking bold of you. I don't know how much you value your time, but my time is precious enough that I'd rather not sit and watch for 10 minutes the names of people I don't know scroll up the screen. Moreover, once I've paid my $12, I really don't think it's the projectionist's business if I wish to leave the theatre before the credits, or, for that matter, before the end of the movie.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
That's rather fucking bold of you. I don't know how much you value your time, but my time is precious enough that I'd rather not sit and watch for 10 minutes the names of people I don't know scroll up the screen. Moreover, once I've paid my $12, I really don't think it's the projectionist's business if I wish to leave the theatre before the credits, or, for that matter, before the end of the movie.
don't piss off the happy fun projectionist. They have hours of time, and nothing to do. I rather enjoyed drifting the focus in and out slightly, or turning the heat up to like 90 for no reason, Dicking around with the DTS disc's.. anything to pass 2 hours in a dark room with nothing to do. Besides the late shows, after 10:30 there's NO ONE downstairs. Who ya gonna complain to? sometimes the manager(s) left anyway to run to the bank or something and locked the door to the booth (sucked if I had to pee)

movie trailers make nice bowling balls..

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Philip_G, your immaturity amazes me, and even more so your willingness to tell us here in this forum, where there are enough complaints about the movie-going experience already, that you basically for fun decided to try and ruin the experience of people who paid good money to watch a movie. I don't care that you're 16, you are a first class /edited out/.

/Mike

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Philip_G, your immaturity amazes me, and even more so your willingness to tell us here in this forum, where there are enough complaints about the movie-going experience already, that you basically for fun decided to try and ruin the experience of people who paid good money to watch a movie. I don't care that you're 16, you are a first class /edited out/.

hehhehe

someone takes themselves a little too /edited out/ seriously. Take a joke mate.

BTW, at minimum wage, how much do you think the average projectionist actually gives a shit about your "movie-going experience"? Because unless they're one of the few union chains, thats probably what they make. And there's no hope for a raise (in the chain I worked, 3rd largest in the nation) unless you move up to management (in my chain assistant manager would get you up to 6.50 from 5.15 as a projectionist if you stuck around 4 years or so, sorry 2 was plenty for me, and I was glad to be gone) it's such a great job, and on top of that you get to listen to customers bitch about things that don't even exist, lol while totally ignoring the gate that's so bad it makes me sick to watch the picture because of the jitters, or the rectifier with one bad diode that flickers so bad it also makes me sick but I wasn't supplied with the tools, training, or parts to repair (even though I can do them in less than 5 minutes, even quicker if someone had the thought to _NOT_ solder them in)

You do realize it is the company policy of the chain I worked to not even have a projectionist on duty? The managers are supposed to handle it along with the rest of their duties. And when you pay your managers less than McD's pays their new hires, do you REALLY think they get the cream of the crop? or actually train them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks