Do you leave when the credits roll?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveGon, Apr 17, 2002.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

If so, read this article and be ashamed. [​IMG]
    The Onion strikes again!

2. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Ah. Another person taking the approach of "It really is this important to me but if I take the slightly-humorous approach to saying it, I won't be ridiculed for it; I'll disarm all of those people with my 'humor'"
    Oy.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

when I was a projectionist, and the last film got out at like 1am, the credit watchers used to piss me off, if no one stayed for the credits I was out of there 10 minutes sooner [​IMG]

4. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    Good article, I agree!

I hate it when people rush out after the movie!

5. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

I guess I'm going to have to be the stick in the mud, but oh well. All I have to say to these people is "boo hoo." Sure, some people stay and watch the credits, most don't...accept it. Most all of us have jobs, and when we do our job well, most people don't even realize it. About the only time people take time to actively think about the jobs of others is when the job is done poorly.

These people get a paycheck and IMHO, that should be enough. It has to be for the rest of society. Sure, if I worked on a film and seen my name scroll across the big screen, I would probably get an ego boost. On the other hand, they go to work to do a job and if the work/paycheck isn't enough for them, maybe they should look for another job.

I know I am probably coming across as a big butthole, but that's the way I feel about things.

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

"when I was a projectionist, and the last film got out at like 1am, the credit watchers used to piss me off, if no one stayed for the credits I was out of there 10 minutes sooner"

How so? On a platter system you have to let the entire movie run to the end no matter what, and the air blowers should stay on at least 5 minutes after the show ends before being turned off, so you're stuck whether there's 1 or 100 people in the theater. It pissed me off when we had a movie that ran longer than all the others and ended up having no one stay during the credits- obviously they didn't really care about seeing the movie so if they hadn't come at all we wouldn't have had to bother running it.

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

8. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

Why would leaving during the credits be a sign of not wanting to see the movie? I want to see every movie that I go to...but I never stay through the entire credits. I hate it when I'm with someone who does and I have to sit there looking at a bunch of names roll by for no reason at all.

- Jeff

9. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Boo-hoo is right!

If there are no outtakes to watch during the credits, I'm outta there.

I'm part of a team that delivers a product also. I do not expect those that buy our product to know my name, or know what my contribution was. My paycheck is enough.

EDITED: typo corrections only

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Do you watch the credits on your DVDs? They're there too, so if I really want to see them, I can, but I don't usually either on DVD or at the theater.

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

12. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Interesting how a slight and satirical article can stir up such a debate! [​IMG]
    As for me, I don't usually stay for the credits. Not that I could if I wanted to as my local theaters usually stop the film shortly after the credits start to roll. When I do decide to peruse the credits, it's usually because I'm looking for the name of a piece of music used in the film.

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Remember, that faux essay was meant also as humor.

I always watch the credits. No matter what. And no matter how many times I may have seen the film.

14. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I ALWAYS watch the credits.

15. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

I watch the credits when I feel like it. Like for outtakes, names of songs played during the movie, or if a song or piece of music is playing throughout the credits that I like. However, I feel no obligation to stay if I don't want to. Like others have said these people got their paychecks and their just rewards for their participation in the film. Not every job is a glamour position. I'm sure if you went in for a heart surgery (yeah I know, huge difference, just bear with me) you wouldn't really need to know the name of the janitor who ensured that the OR floor was sanitary, or the name of the person who delivered the surgical instruments. Some jobs IMO do not need to be included in the credit roll.

I think credits have gotten increasingly bloated. I've seen films where they just end and that's it. I've seen some credit rolls that aren't too long and have most of the pertinent jobs included. Then I see some where everyone from the director to the guy who sharpened the pencils used to make on set script edits is included. It all depends on my mood whether or not I stay or if everyone in a crowded theater is rushing outta there. Then I just sit until they leave so I don't have to elbow my way out of there or I just haul ass so that I can get a headstart on the crowd to the parking lot.

Edit: Minor grammatical error

16. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

17. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

18. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

19. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Philip_G, your immaturity amazes me, and even more so your willingness to tell us here in this forum, where there are enough complaints about the movie-going experience already, that you basically for fun decided to try and ruin the experience of people who paid good money to watch a movie. I don't care that you're 16, you are a first class /edited out/.

/Mike

20. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer