What's new

Do you care when a DVD doesn't include the teasers or trailers or TV spots? (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Is it a deal breaker? No, but it's the one extra which should be mandatory on all discs. They should be incredibly easy to find in the studio vaults and they take up so little room it boggles me when a trailer isn't included. I've always marked down for not including a trailer when reviewing DVDs. I'll take an ugly, beat up trailer over nothing at all.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I'm glad to see movie trailers getting so much love. I've been very disappointed in the trend to leave trailers off DVDs and High Def discs.

I love watching movie trailers. I always find it interesting to see how a movie was marketed.

Please studios, get back to including the film trailer on your releases!

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
Leaving trailers off is something I really hate. My first would be not including the original audio or not presenting it in the OAR.
I forget what DVD producer said this in an interview but he said "Supplements should provide the viewer with the experience of making the film. It's like an encyclopedia on the making of a film." So I think trailers are a must if it's supposed to be a complete film making journey. But not having them doesn't make me want to not buy the disc.

Mary_P

Second Unit
Lack of trailers or TV spots would never hinder me from buying a disc, but I'd prefer to have them included.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I don't mind if the trailers look terrible as long as they're included. It's interesting to see how film deteriorates, and the stark contrast you sometimes see between the trailer and the actual (hopefully restored) movie.

What bugs me the most is when they leave relevant documentaries/TV specials off DVDs- like when they left "The Muppets Go Hollywood" TV special off The Muppet Movie DVD. That TV special promoted the Muppets' first feature-film, and the only good reason I can think of them not including it on the DVD is that they lost it. I think it aired once in 1979 and I haven't seen it since.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I really only get upset when trailers aren't included on classic films, because more recent trailers are usually plastered all over newer releases. Case in point: I really don't care if Meet the Robinsons doesn't include the trailers, because I've got every variant on other Disney releases.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Thanks! (I love YouTube!)
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
I love trailers too, and to be honest I'm amazed that they can find the trailers for some of the old, obscure European films I enjoy watching.

What annoys me are the modern film that don't include trailers - especially when the trailer itself has been included as a promo on another disc (see the 300 thread).

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I'm a big trailer fan and will watch every single version, including the 30 second spots like in Fight Clube and special language ones as well. I always watch the trailers afterwards and say "Holy crap, this would of ruined the movie if they showed that!"

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
I'll still buy a movie on DVD without the trailers, but my opinion of the studio and DVD producers will go down. They're short, easy to find, and sometimes really special.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
For a special edition, trailers are a standard feature. I don't see why studios can't include them since it's only, what, 2-3 minutes extra to transfer? It's worse when they're left off in a new edition.

It's even better when studios include bonus trailers. WB is great about this. I was surprised to find that The Outlaw Josey Wales has over a dozen extra trailers for other films.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
I may be wrong on this, but what I have gathered from previous discussions about this is that a trailer is most likely left off of a DVD now because it is no longer considered a "promotional item" if it is on the DVD of the actual film it was made for. If it's on it's own release, it becomes a monetarily valuable bonus feature containing the work of various artists (production and cast). Therefore, the studio would not only have to make sure any music rights are cleared, but they would also possibly have to pay for actor usage rights or producer/director clearances, etc. since it is a 'bonus feature' now and people can come out of the woodwork to be compensated. However, if the studio uses the trailers on other titles besides the actual film in question, than the trailer IS still considered a promotional tool and there would be no recourse. That's why you'll see the trailer you want as a 'preview' on all these other DVD's, but not on the DVD of that actual title.

In the early days of DVD, studios seemed to always include them and things seemed OK. But now it seems legalese and money-grubbers want to milk whatever they can out of their usage if they are used as bonus materials. It sucks, as they are the only extra feature I care about, especially on older films.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Shouldn't the rights to using the trailer on the DVD of a film be covered in the initial contracts these days? It's not that hard to have that tiny bit of foresight, considering DVDs have been around for 10 years now.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

You would think so. It's also possible that even the companies that make the trailers for the studios contractually mandate that they are for use only as promotion - if used otherwise, they may want compensation for themselves. Trailer companies are big business today and they may also be playing hardball with their contracts. I'm just speculating on this particular point, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks