What's new

Do VHS Head Cleaners really work? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
This is a VCR that is even less than a year old, and already it's having problems. Everytime I rewind, the video gets all fuzzy and snowy in playback mode. Another VCR, works perfectly, rewind and all.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to go out and buy a VCR Head Cleaner, or if it would have an easier way of fixing this problem. I was hoping to do some DVD Authoring over the weekend, but with this VCR down here, that dosn't seem likley now...

Thanks

greg_t

Screenwriter
Get a good video head cleaner, probably will cost $10 to $20. I've had vcr's that seem to get bad tracking and fuzzy pictures, and head cleaners have usually worked well. I have a Scotch High performance brand head cleaner now that is real good.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hey Casey! Welcome to the forums! You're doin' pretty good so far :D In terms of the OAR issue... you're gonna love it here :)

Mark R. Ososkie

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a few pretty bad VCR's, usually panasonic's, that will become unwatchable after about a year or so of use (picture with terrible tracking issues, cannot be adjusted for anything), and putting a good head cleaner in once a year or so fixes them up pretty good.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Sometimes a more intense cleaning is in order. If you feel confident enough, remove the cover to physically clean the heads, rollers, and any point that comes in contact with the tape using alcohol and some lint-free swabs. A small amount of compressed air is also useful at this time to remove unwanted dust. Better yet, make a visit to the old TV repair shop. Most will still perform this service rather cheap ($20-$25).

Good Luck,
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks