What's new

Do they make white burial cable? (1 Viewer)

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
I need to run speaker cable around the outside of my house then back into my house for ceiling mounted speakers. I have been told to run burial cable since it is weatherproof and will work for speaker cable.

All burial cable I've seen is black in color. This won't work for me as it won't match the white ceiling, speaker and ceiling mount.

do they make white burial cable?

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
You can always use 14/2 UF electrical cable... it's rated for underground use, is almost always white, and generally pretty cheap :emoji_thumbsup:

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
what is "UF electrical cable"? I'm a complete newbie to this. I need to have cable that is weather proof since a portion of it will be run outside around my house, then fed back into my house for a set of ceiling mounted surrounds.

I was told I shoudl use 12 gauge wire since the run it 40' and speakers will be drawing 4ohm load.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Trevin,
UF stands for "underground feeder". It's the standard stuff everybody uses for underground 110Vac electrical circuits, like outdoor lighting, etc. It's basically the underground-rated equivalent of NM (non-metallic sheathed cable or "Romex"). UF cable, like NM, is somewhat thick and ugly and stiff and difficult to work with for speaker applications... but it does meet your "white" and "burial" requirements. UF is commonly available in 14/2 and 12/2 (with ground, of course --the ground conductor being of no particular value in a speaker installation). UF and NM cables are not rated for direct sunlight exposure, although I don't think any wire is, with the possible exception of some CATV coax.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks