What's new

Do speakers ands sub have to match? (1 Viewer)

JeffCa

Auditioning
Is there any advantage to buying a sub from the same manufacturer as my speakers?

From the posts here it would seem I could do much better for my money buying a different brand of sub but I do not want to sacrifice quality. I do not know if subs are designed to "match" a manufacturer's speaker offerings.

If it makes a difference I am planning to buy the Mirage Omnisats which they encourage me to mate with their $500 LF150 sub. I was planning on an Hsu, Adire, or Velodyne instead because of the posts here.

I appreciate any help/recommendations you can offer.

Jeff

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Jeff, I own Mirage FRx-7 towers and FRx-C center. I auditioned the LF150 with my SVS25-31PCi and the LF150 went back to the dealer. The LF150 INHO is abit wimpy for the 500.00 tag compared to the same price SVS.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
The simple answer is 'NO'. There is no reason they have to be from the same manufacturer. However, the frequencies of the speakers and sub should overlap so you don't miss out on anything, and the sub should go as low as possible to get all that good, deep bass. If it were my $500 I would go with the HSU.

JeffCa

Auditioning
Thanks for the help and the ideas.

Now to decide which sub to get for the $500.

I know the SVS is well regarded, but is a cylinder sub harder to get good placement with than a box?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
... is a cylinder sub harder to get good placement with than a box?
I've had both types (passive / powered box since 1980), and felt my SVS 25-31PCi cylinder sub easier to integrate in my 20' x 30' w/10' high vaulted ceiling HT/family room!

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks