What's new

Do receivers convert video output? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Ziggy

Auditioning
I have never had a home theatre receiver before (only audio receivers), so I have a 'simple' question:

Do receivers take the different video input signals and convert them into a single output for your TV?

What I mean is, I have component video output on my DVD player and HDTV receiver, SVIDEO output on my satellite receiver, and composite output on my VCR. My current TV has only SVIDEO input, and my future TV will have component input. So if I hook all my different devices into a receiver and plug the receiver svideo output into the svideo input on my TV, will everything work? Or does your TV have to have matching inputs that you have to switch between for each and every different type of signal output?

I hope my question makes sense. :)

Jonathan Ziggy

Auditioning
That's not what I was hoping for. Since I already have an audio receiver, I might be better off using a simple switchbox with SVIDEO for now (since my current TV doesn't have component inputs anyway).

I have found a switchbox that converts composite to SVIDEO, so I can run all of my current equipment off of one box. Plus it has a remote so I can program my remote to automatically switch the box. (Obviously the composite>SVIDEO conversion isn't going to give any better quality - it's just so that I can run all my devices to a single input on my TV).

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Many receivers today will upconvert composite to S-video, but only a few (usually expensive ones) will upconvert to component. The usual caveat applies: the quality will not be improved via the upconversion, it's for convenience only.

It's generally recommended that you connect high-quality sources directly to the TV, so as to avoid any possible degradation by going through the receiver. Since component sources are generally the high-quality ones, upconversion to S-video is often sufficient for many purposes.

I should also mention that if you have a universal remote with macro capability you can simulate the convenience of a single connection. Simply program your "watch DVD" button to change the receiver's input to whatever the DVD player is connected to, and then change the TV's input appropriately as well.

Hope this helps,
-- Dave

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Jonathan,

I have the Denon AVR-3805 receiver with the following equipment connected to it such that I can connect one set of component video cables to my Sony KP-57WS510 HD-RPTV:

Denon DVD-2900 connected to AVR via component cables.
Comcast/Motorola 6200 Dig/HD CATV Box via component cables.
RCA VHS Player via composite cables.
Sony DVPNS725 DVD player connected via component cables.

The picture yielded is excellent in my opinion.
I almost never watch VHS tapes, but I played the original version of "Vanishing Point" the other night (remember the white 70-Dodge Challanger driven across the desert?) and was impressed by the quality of the video transfer.
I had not seen VHS that clean before.

There are many receivers out now that will upconvert to component video from either composite, or S-Video. Pick the brand you are interested in and go test them out.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Al. Wise

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Here's a list of receivers I know of w/ upconversion of all sources to component:

Yamaha 1400, 2400, Z9
Denon 2805, 3805, 5803
Pioneer Elite 59TXi, 52TX, 54TX, 56TXi
Pioneer VSX-1014
Sony 1000ES - 9000ES
Harman Kardon AVR-7300

The HK 7300 and Yamaha Z9 also scale video sources to 480p, 720p, or 1080i (the Z9 just does 480p i think). The rest convert to component but the signal stays 480i.

Hope this helps :)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Yamaha RXV-1400 and above, Denon 2805 and above, and some Pioneer elites as well as some I don't have specific knowledge of have the upconversion feature, and it works well.

The conversion is upward only, however, so until you get a tv with component in you should run any component sources directly to the set. None of them will convert incoming Component to S-video or composite, for example.

Yamaha's new flagship Z-9 not only has connection upconversion but also built-in scanrate upconversion!

Jonathan Ziggy

Auditioning
Wow, that's some great information. Thanks for the help and advice. I will post a followup when I have selected a system.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
My Yamaha HTR-5790 does, too. It's basically the same as the RX-V1400, but I'm just assuming the poster did not know that. Just throwing another hat in the ring. Enjoy!!

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I discovered the same problem when hooking up my Rotel 1056 receiver. The 1056 will convert composite and S-Video to component. Unfortunently, my 5 year old Mitsubishi rear projection TV doesn't have component input.

Ed Werner

Stunt Coordinator
The newer high-end Onkyo and Integra (0nkyo's mid-line) recievers now upconvert composite/S-video to component. I am not sure about Integra Research (basically their ultimate line) since they don't update their website very much.

Its just another option to consider.

--Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks