What's new
World Wide Stereo

DIY with SVS subwoofer... (1 Viewer)

Rob Grim

Stunt Coordinator
As many of you already know, SVS has started taking pre-orders for the 12.3 upgrade on the Plus subwoofers which means there are going to be alot of old plus drivers laying around or people are going to sell them. Me on the other hand am going to try a DIY for upstairs for the wifes setup. I'm looking to do something along the lines of a end table to blend in with the decor.

My question is this, I know Tom at SVS will not release exact measuresments or specs on how to build a DIY with his drivers but would I be safe to use the PB12-plus measurements as a go by. I am by no means looking to get the sound quality as a original SVS but I would like to build something that sounds pretty good in the 30Hz region. My wife is only using a 3.1 setup upstairs (F, C, R and subwoofer) do to the fact that she doesn't want speakers all over her living room. I have a replacement Polk Audio plate amp which is brand new that was never used which is 150 watts cont. with a Dynamic Power output of 300 watts that I had planned on using but if need be I'm willing to purchase a different plate amp from parts express.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
You can download Liberty Praxis and take T/S measurements of the driver and use any old box software to come up with a volume and tuning, there is nothing special about one particular alignment or another, just tinker with the software and see what best suits your needs. Also I would not use the plate amp, many commercial plate amps have EQ/bass boost built in for the particular sub they were meant to go with.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If going with a plate amp, I would definitley purchase one from PE or elsewhere. I'm using the A350 from Rythmik for my 15" Tempest and it works surprisingly well. I'd skip the Polk amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks