DIY 4 mains and one center for $750???

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JohnI, Feb 11, 2005.

1. JohnI

JohnI Extra

Are there any good kits for my budget of $700. This price would include shipping, finish and all. My buddy would be doing them for me. Im buying 4 mains because he is getting one pair for doing the work. I think were going with a formica finish.
    Thanks

2. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

You might be able to do the Audax kits for that although two pairs of the mains and the center will cost you about that for the components alone without cabs. They are very good sounding and for the money about the only thing with the level of performance. The three way center with the midrange is well regarded also, it prevents the horizontal dispertion 'beaming' that happens when turning an mtm on it's side. I am thinking of selling mine - let me know if you are interested - of course if you want to assemble them then this wouldn't help you.

3. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

John - I'm looking at doing my first DIY speakers, and am pretty sure I'm going to go with GR-Research. For $750, you could get 5 A/V-2 kits (http://www.gr-research.com/performer/av2kit.htm)...or for ~$800, you could get 4 A/V-3 kits and a A/V-3S for the center. This would be over your budget, once you add cabinets and supplies, but I've heard great things about them. Check out my thread here, Shawn Keeler is an advocate of them (and after seeing his HT, you'll find it hard to argue [​IMG] ). My take on the whole thing is that if you plan on keeping the speakers for a long time, you might as well spend a little extra and get something top-notch.

4. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

Click here to see some package deals offered by GR Research. Note that the subs pictured are included at extra cost and the AV-1 can be substituted for the AV-1RS pictured.