What's new

Divx - Am I misinformed? (1 Viewer)

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
If thats true (no OAR and 320i), I'd be better off to get a used LD player to help fill my collection of cheap movies that are not DVDs yet.
Divx discs used MPEG-2 encoding, and had similar resolution to DVD; some were even 16x9-enhanced. BTW some DVD releases available today were actually mastered by Divx (which is why they appeared on the latter format first).
In comparison to laserdisc, I found even the low-end Zenith DVD player to have a much crisper image than either of my two Pioneer laserdisc players (D502 and D504). And, to make matters worse, many older laserdiscs are non-OAR, like my copies of Flashdance, Candyman 2, and More American Graffitti. You'd think that for laserdisc prices you'd at least get OAR!
RD

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Matty B: this is a discussion of the now-defunct DIVX format that was a competitor to the current DVD format. The DIVX format was nasty and is now discontinued.
What you are discussing is the "DivX ;-)" format which some idiot had to name DivX instead of something else, causing this confusion.
To spell it out - this is not a discussion about movies ripped from DVD and encoded in the "DivX ;-)" format. This is a discussion about DIVX discs and their usability today.
------------------
/Kimmo

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Matty--
Since you're pretty new to the forum, let me give you a piece of friendly advice: our moderators have a very very low tolerance for posts with as argumentative a tone as you're displaying in this thread. You probably want to chill out a lot.
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks