What's new

Distance between reclining couches (1 Viewer)

Wadeheat3

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle G
Hey Guys,

I am at the early stage of turning a finished basement space into a home theater. Looking to do 2 "rows" of seating in the form of (2) 3 seat couches(want it to be more informal than separate recliner chairs). What is the distance from the back of the first row to the front of the second to allow full recline on both?

If this is the wrong area to put this I apologize, I did not see any threads on seating specifically.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
it really depends on the couches you choose. You need to figure out how far back the front row reclines, and how far forward the footrest on the back row goes forward. You need to allow someone enough room to squeeze through there when both rows are reclined. I would think 18 inches would be the minimum. Put some tape on the floor and see if that is enough for you, or if you need it to be a bit wider.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Some of the furniture manufactures have dimensions on their web sites. I used them to determine the configuration of 4 recliners with attached angled center pieces to make a curved row. By the calculations, they appeared to have sufficient room to recline simultaneously. I ordered them on that basis, and when assembled, they worked fine. The other way, if you have them, is to put them in position and try out the spacing.

Before the widespread use of computers, pattern making was used in industry. One of my brother in laws used to work in a pattern making shop around Detroit. They made full sized wood patterns to test out spacing and arrangements for Ford, GM and Chrysler. He was one of the people who made interiors for what I think was the Abrams Tank in part of the design process for Chrysler Tank Automotive Division. I've done something similar in cardboard for a couple things at home to pick size and placement. Painters tape on the floor might be a good alternative to decide on placement of furniture by walls to determine space for foot traffic.

Wadeheat3

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle G
Thanks for the response guys. I may, due to space constraints end up doing 2 recliners up front or in the rear and the couch on the opposite. Will end up making the space less crowded and I expect to be alone for the most part unless I am watching some Princess movie or if I have some friends over to watch a game

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks