What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Disney's Tron is Fantastic (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I remember hearing that TRON was disqualified from any technical Academy Award nominations because at the time computer generated imagery was considered "Cheating" I always thought that the Academy should bestow TRON with some kind of honorary ocsar for technical acheivement for is pioneering CGI, especially now since most films made today seem to have at least some CGI in them.

And maybe Lucas will release the Theatrical versions of the Original Star Wars trilogy on DVD as well :D

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
For some reason I couldn't get Sparticus out of my mind, and now that someone else mentions it, I'm not sure if it was Jason or Sinbad.

Leo

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I agree that the "making of" docu is quite good, but you know....in some ways these looking back retrospectives can be a little heartbreaking as in this case when I saw how Cindy Morgan had aged, now I understand that after a certain age we are all deteriorating day by day & it is a fact of life that all of us must face, but nonetheless I have to say that I once thought that Cindy was one of the loveliest women in hollywood (watch Caddyshack and you'll know what I mean) and seeing her in the docu was sad in a way....maybe it was just that I hadn't seen her in much of anything in so long that the shock cut from her youth to her current age was jarring.....perhaps the reason that I find it disquieting is really that her aging is also marking my own....

Sorry if this comes off as rather shallow but the thought does cross my mind many times when I see these retrospective documentaries more and more and the "ageless faces" of the stars are revealed to be as mortal as we.;)

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Kevin, that's interesting, because I was watching the documentary the other day and I was struck by the fact that I thought she looked pretty damn good :) I guess your mileage may vary.

I do know what you mean about the ravages of time, though. Something that comes to mind for me is when I went to see "The Score" with Robert De Niro, Edward Norton and Marlon Brando. I was horrified by how bad Brando looked; he was obviously having extreme difficulty even in moving the short distances required for the part, and was out of breath frequently. It depressed me, though I still love the film.

cheers,
Phil

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,

I understand exactly where you're coming from. Quite often the documentaries on these DVDs really demark an age difference from when an actor was young and in their prime to when they were brought in to do the documentary for the DVD. I contstantly find myself saying "but it seemed like just yesterday when this movie was new and I saw it for the first time" and then I add it up and realize that it's been 20 years. How quickly time flies and how it seems to take us all hostage! Particularly affecting when you're sentimentally attached to an actor or when the span of time causes you to suddenly come to grips with how quickly time has passed in your own life.

dave

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I can certainly understand the feeling when you haven't seen someone for years, and you've seen how they've changed can be a shock. It is easier for those who stay in the public eye, because we get used to it. But, for those we may never have seen in years, it can be shocking...

Jason

Man, me too, Frank. TRON will always be one of those childhood-memory-movies for me, the kind I love to watch over and over again because they inspire in me that same sense of childlike wonder over seeing something new for the first time. I remember feeling much the same way during Jurassic Park, having never seen anything like it before; that movies can inspire such awe in the young and old alike is why I keep going back, usually (alas) to be disappointed. TRON, though, will forever hold a warm, fuzzy place in my jaded heart.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I have to say ouch on that one as well. I thought she fared a little bit better in her interview footage in the Caddyshack Doc as well.

Just the other day I was watching Jaws and afterward I popped in the doc, because I had not seen it in awhile. I was a bit dismayed to see how badly the woman who played Christine Watkins had aged. In contrast, Lorraine Gary had obviously aged, but did not look too bad.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
My player also freezes the picture at that moment yet that only happens when the audio commentary is turned on.

Both Cindy & Bruce Boxleitner starred at the time in Bring Them Back Alive, so time perhaps to release that on dvd

:D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hey I'm not saying that she is ugly because she has aged, she isn't ugly now or ever, I'm just saying that since I personally haven't seen her in anything in the last 15 years or so, the shock of seeing her "instant aging" in the docu was...well, a shock.
Whenever this happens as I watch these DVD "looking back" docu's it's almost like the Grim Reaper comes strolling on through the room, gives me a wink and says in an amused voice "Hey guy, time does go marchin' on along don't it?", you know what I mean?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I love this DVD too. The grain is indeed largely attributable to the methods used in creating the glowing effects on the characters, and in no way reflects a bad transfer.
Those of you who said your DVDs were breaking up. Have you talked to the BVHE customer service line? They were really great about sending me a replacement Dinosaur 2-disc set because mine was really glitchy.

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure it was answered, but the skeleton fight scene is in 'Jason and the Argonauts'. A true marvel of its time in the FX department.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
>> "I remember hearing that TRON was disqualified from any technical Academy Award nominations because at the time computer generated imagery was considered "Cheating" "

I'm pretty sure it was nominated for costume design. I have a vague recollection of seeing the awards show that year.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The biggest memory I have of Tron is the Viewmaster. I got it for my birthday and took it to school....big mistake...I got sent to the Principal's office, with my viewmaster! What a way to reprimand....give the kid the very thing that got him in trouble in the first place!:D

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil

It was indeed nominated for costume design, as well as for best sound. Won neither one. The one that it deserved the most, though, was for visual effects (or "special effects", or whatever the award was called in 1982; I'm not up on my Oscar history). That's the one they weren't given a nod for because (as WillG noted) at the time use of computers was considered "cheating".

I'd like to see the film given a retroactive Oscar for the effects that were way ahead of its time. Never happen, though. :)

cheers,
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks