What's new

Disney's Tron is Fantastic (1 Viewer)

Christopher_Ham

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up Tron, a movie some hate and love, but one I really enjoyed seeing as a boy. I was amazed at how well Disney and THX did with the restoration.
The dialogue is clean and pronounced, the surround effects are very enveloping and the bass is huge in a few areas. I was surprised!

The video was a little off, meaning some grain, but I think it had alot to do with the animation bleeding. Overall I really liked this release.

My system

Lexicon DC-1 Version 4 (Hope to upgrade to Mc-8 or B&K ref 50) Give me your opinions please!

Ati 1505 5 x 150w
Ati 1502 2 x 150w

Denon 2200 dvd (Love this player)

Blue Jeans interconnects

Toshiba 61"

Def Tech BP 8's main
CLR 2002 center
BPx2's sides
Dcs 5's rears

SVS PB2+ sub (this thing is scary!)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I also really enjoyed the black re-issue DVD set.

This is one of those movies that many non-movie people frequently mock (along with Logan's Run).

But I get a warm fuzzy everytime I think about it.

Want to watch this one again soon.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Agreed.

It's visually "dated" just like Logan's Run, but also just like Logan's Run it's a really innovative film that deserves some respect. I own both of these films on DVD personally. The 16x9 Tron SE really is quite beautiful. Very film-like. Can't wait to watch it on my new projector!

dave ;)

Christopher_Ham

Stunt Coordinator
Let me know how it looks on your projector, it seemed a to have alot of grain sometimes and then others it did not. I just get the feeling that it is the animation that makes it seem a little grainy.

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
I love this film and it was one of the films I brought with me when I was demoing TVs and sound systems (I used the lightcycle arena scene). I think it's got great sound and fantastic video considering the age of the film and the techniques they used to put it all together. Yes, there's plenty of grain, but it fits quite nicely with the "look" of the film.

Tron has been ingrained in my character for years. I still greet people once in a while with "Greetings, programs!" and...well, you can see my .sig file. :)

cheers,
Phil

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I wish my PC was fast enough to run the Tron 2.0 computer game.

I heard it was very good and picks up the Tron story line.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
It is no wonder Tron looks so good and some fantastic supplements as well.

No wonder Michael Pellerin was chosen to produce all 3 extended editions of LOTR Trilogy

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
A lot of the grain comes from the combination of different photographic methods used to layer all the images together. This was in the days before digital compositing, remember. The supplements cover it quite extensively.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
The 2-Disc Black Special Edition is absolutely brilliant in all of its aspects. Simply a keeper. :D

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
One of the great things about Tron is that the more that you learn about it, the more impressive it is. While it may have been weak in the storyline, it's an artistic and technical marvel.

-Dave

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Fully integrated CG with live-action, this movie just kicks ass on many levels considering the time it was made. No academy award nominations for special effects?! It sure as hell deserved one!

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I love this movie as well. However, the disc breaks up just as tron is trying to communicate with Alan and the I/O tower. I tried two different dvd's, but they both broke up at the same time and in the same way. It always takes me out of the film, and I anticipate it everytime I watch it. However, stellar picture and sound. Great menu design as well.

Christopher_Ham

Stunt Coordinator
Mine breaks up in the same spot, and it does not appear to be the layer change, it pauses for 10-15 seconds on my denon dvd 2200.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I hate to cause the degeneration of a specific-subject thread, but has anyone really considered how much R&D, ability, and technical skill is being lost to the computer?

I just watched Star Trek: The Motion Picture: The Robert Wise Edition. I know some scenes were finished, cleaned up, et cetera, but quite a lot of it was done the hard way.

I know many people think it slow and tedious, but all the stuff flying around the ship in space dock at the beginning...

Ye gods! I know what was involved with making that come off. That was one huge load of work to make it come off.

Tron was another 'visionary' film. I don't always agree with what they did, nor was I ever impressed (or perhaps never understood) the light-cycle games. Some of the image processing that they did struck me as unpleasant, but, for the most part, they had their reasons.

But then go back a little further. What was it, Sparticus that has the sword fight with the skeleton? I never saw the whole film, but I did see that sequence. Given the technology of the era, it was a miracle that it only took six or so weeks to shoot those 300 frames.

Now, if it can't be done by a computer, no one wants to do it. And all those people who did some fabulous work that hasn't been matched in quality are dinosaurs...

Leo Kerr
[email protected]

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Chris -

My picture doesn't pause, but the middle of the screen becomes blocky for about 2-3 seconds. I was hoping it was just my player. It is discouraging hearing your experiencing the same problems.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
My player has absolutely no problems whatsoever with the disc. Boo yah! ;)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Mebbe he was talking about the Ray Harryhousen 7th Voyage of Sinbad or Jason and the Argonauts. His work is simply marvelous and ahead of its time. Clash of the Titans Special Edition 2-Disc is what I'm waiting for...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks