What's new

Disney's John Carter (3D Blu-ray Combo) (Blu-ray Combo) now available for preorder on Amazon (1 Viewer)

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Roland, I couldn't swear to the size of the Odeon screen - I never took a tape measure to it, but it was pretty damn big sat in the stalls. At 3088 seats it was the biggest venue in the Odeon chain in the UK. The other big screens in town were the ABC and the Palladium which weren't Cinerama but could handle 70mm

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
From FilmBuffOnline:
If we need any more proof of the true popularity of the film, we have to look no farther than Amazon.com. Amazon shoppers who signed up for e-mails to alert them of DVD & Blu-Ray new releases were informed that they were able to pre-order John Carter on video today. As of this writing, the Blu-Ray 3-D/Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy was the #1 selling item in Amazon’s Science-Fiction Movie list, and ranked #2 in the Action & Adventure and Fantasy Categories…. It ranks #13 over all in the Movies & TV Blu-Ray list.
http://www.filmbuffonline.com/FBOLNewsreel/wordpress/2012/04/02/flop-john-carter-grosses-surpasses-production-budget/
#1 for two weeks in China and not even released yet in Japan. I'm tellin' ya, when all is said and done, Disney's not losing a dime on this movie.
They still need to sack the entire marketing department, though. Why can't I buy a Woola toy? Am I going to have to get a real dog and dress him up???

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman /t/319693/disneys-john-carter-3d-blu-ray-combo-blu-ray-combo-now-available-for-preorder-on-amazon#post_3912957
They still need to sack the entire marketing department, though. Why can't I buy a Woola toy? Am I going to have to get a real dog and dress him up???
According to the Magical Definitions podcast (from a while ago and repeated fairly often), no toy manufacturer wanted to John Carter license. This hurts the bottom line of the movie, but there ya go.

As for the movie, when it hits one of my magic sweet spot price points, I'll think about it. But knowing this is Disney doesn't give me a lot of hope that will ever happen.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I've read a number of stories out on the web bemoaning the marketing of the movie - all of them blaming Andrew Stanton's inexperience and/or control freakery for the woes of the picture. I don't know if these tales told out of school are Disney personnel shifting the blame off themselves or whether Andrew Stanton really lost the plot, but this whole merchandising issue smells like more of the same.
Personally I can't believe anybody with the experience of working at Pixar of Mr Stanton's wouldn't understand the relationship of marketing and merchandising to film-making. Neither can I believe that a first-time live-action director wouldn't be nurse-maided through production by an experienced producer no matter what Faustian creative-control deals had been promised by Studio brass.
I can believe that Disney execs didn't understand the project they'd greenlit and didn't know how to market it once it was finished.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I really enjoyed this film. Will definitely pick up the 3D combo version (and I don't even own a 3D TV yet).
A lot better than I was expecting and not anywhere near as bad as I had heard.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I enjoyed this movie, too. I have a soft spot for retro sci-fi, and aside from an overly haphazard beginning, I thought it was a fairly well-made popcorn film.
As for the marketing, I don't know who was at fault, but I think what happened was not so much that they were marketing the wrong product as the wrong flavor. It was like they were advertising strawberry ice cream, when what they had was chocolate ice cream.
Put another way, they tried to make the movie look like Avatar, when it was really more like Buck Rogers without a ship.

Slan

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy
Bryan Tuck said:
aside from..., I thought it was a fairly well-made popcorn film....like Buck Rogers without a ship.
Yikes, I'm not sure praise can get any fainter. I don't care who is responsible, they had a terrific franchise opportunity and they blew it. Incompetence is too faint a word for that crew.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks