What's new

Disney's Hercules live-action remake (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Hercules has come up for its turn on the live-action remake docket at Disney. It will be produced by the Russo Brothers and written by David Callaham, who wrote Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings for Marvel.

Last edited:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
One of the less loved Disney animated films but I always thought it was fun. I've always been into Greek/Roman mythology though. The "muses" were a little annoying but they weren't too bad.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I love the original as well, but I'm less excited about this news than I would be if they hadn't ruined the fun of Aladdin and The Lion King in those remakes. I'm much more interested in the further development of the stage musical, which had an initial production last summer, than I am in a film remake. But that being said, I'm sure I'll see this and I hope for the best. I did like the Beauty and the Beast remake very much, so they've done it correctly with one of their modern properties once.

I was starting to think about potential casting that I would like, although I'm sure they're not there yet. John Clerence Stuart or John Boyega as Hercules, Jane Levy as Meg and Ted Danson as Hades should happen. Just putting that out there.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Russos talked to Collider about the movie. It sounds like their plan is for a looser adaptation like Mulan:

Well, I think you always have to bring something new to the table because from our perspective as storytellers, it’s not compelling for us to do a literal translation. We’ve already done that with our Marvel films. We don’t do literal translations of the comics because we feel like if you want that story you can go read that story. We’re going to give you a different story. I think we’ll do something that’s in the vein of the original and inspired by it, but we also bring some new elements to the table.

Also, they "can't say one way or the other" whether it will be a musical.

More at the link: https://collider.com/hercules-remake-changes-russo-brothers-disney/

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Joe Russo recently discussed what they're trying to do with the remake:

Joe Russo said:
“The script’s about to come in in a week. We’ve taken a lot of time and care with it. It’s a movie that was really important to me and my kids, something that they watched when they were young, and so we’ve got a strong emotional connection to it. Our intention is to look at everything we do and think about how can we build it out, what can you do with this that expands it, gives you different opportunities for storytelling in it. So we’re going through that same exercise with Hercules, is can we build it out, can we build a world out of this and that extends beyond it and would be compelling, and I think that’s what audiences are craving, right? They want to see something really cool that they wanna get lost in it for a decade, so that’s our mission is to provide them with that experience. It’s still early!”

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed Hercules quite a lot as well. There was quite a lot of self-deprecation that I appreciated in a Disney production - it showed that Disney can poke fun at itself. And the songs were great!

However, I've been less interested in the live action remakes (haven't seen Mulan, Aladdin or The Lion King remakes, for example - maybe I'll get to them since they're on D+). Beauty and the Beast starring Emma Watson was a valiant attempt, but still misses the charm and emotional efficiency of the animated original.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I usually love Guy Ritchie’s films but his version of Aladdin was disastrous. Ugh. Pass.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
This sounds every bit as inspired as all of the live-action remake of animated, musical classics. I'm a big fan of the 1997 film, especially James Woods' performance as Hades. Can't imagine any less interest in this; I've successfully skipped all of these remakes since Beauty and the Beast, and that trend appears to continue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks