What's new

Disney: Will we get EVER Mickey Mouse? Plus secondary animated releases, how many??? (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I see Mickey Mouse in Black & White is coming but seeing as the best Mickey films that had Walt doing the voice only went for about 20 years (well over a hundred though), I was wondering if we'd eventually get ALL the Mickey Mouse shorts on DVD.

Also I see the stuff that usually gets thrown straight to video is starting to come on DVD with Winnie the Pooh's Frankenpooh & Spookable Pooh coming on 8/27. I used to collect the videos but never found them all, can anyone tell me how many of these types of Disney Animated film's there are including Mini Classics, Duck Tales etc etc?

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
i think getting MM: B&W is a first step to getting all the shorts. I personally want more Donald Duck!

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Will we get all MM shorts on DVD? Well, we can't really know, can we? But we can hope. And I think there's a good chance we'll get most if not all eventually.

The first step to getting all the MM shorts is the MM In Living Color set that came last year. That covers practically all color MM shorts from 1935-38.

Walt did Mickey's voice from 1928 to about 1946-47. That covers most of them. Very few MM shorts were made after that.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Thanks Douglas but I have every animated DVD, I wanted to know how many have been made in total, obviously on video to date.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I believe that there were something close to 130 mickey mouse shorts, I know that there are no more than that, and that is including such things as the prince and the pauper.

a good resource is the disney encyclopedia, which among other things lists the dates adn titles of all the big classic shorts, from mickey mouse, donald, goofy and the silly symphonies.

Adam

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Lars,

There were 28 MM shorts between '35 & '38 so I don't think the 1st collection was very comprehensive.

Let's hope there are many more to come.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Can't wait for those black and white ones. I love Mickey when he first started....as he aged and got fat off of Minnie's cooking, he just wasn't that cute anymore. :)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
"Runaway Brain", which Disney wants no part of, was released on laser in Japan only...I wonder if we'll ever see it on DVD? ;)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
My God,

I apologise Lars & Douglas. My kids watched them all then I watched them with them but I mustn't have watched them all unless they just went so fast I hadn't realised I'd watched 28 films.

SORRY

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
OK I found out they are all included up to the end of 1938 plus Mickey's Surprise Party from 1939 but there were 2 released theatrically before that in 1939, I guess they may come on the next one.

There were 74 black & white shorts, does anyone know how many are in the first treasures set?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
There were 74 black & white shorts, does anyone know how many are in the first treasures set?
It wasn't called Treasures, but rather a 'Disney's Exclusive Archive Collection'. Anyawy, the 'Mickey Mouse: The Black & White Years Volume 1' laserdisc has 33 B&W shorts plus 'Parade of the Award Nominees'.

DJ

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
The new DVD coming soon is part of the Walt Disney Treasures collections, I hope they do all 74 eventually, maybe 35-40 now & the rest later.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Quote: "My God,

I apologise Lars & Douglas. My kids watched them all then I watched them with them but I mustn't have watched them all unless they just went so fast I hadn't realised I'd watched 28 films.

SORRY"

---

Well, as far as I can see, there were only 26 shorts on the MM Treasures set. But note that a couple of 1935 titles were B&W and therefore not included in the set. A few titles, like "Donald And Pluto" and "Don Donald", had MM title cards and might therefore have been listed as Mickey shorts in some lists, but were not included in the set because Mickey himself is nowhere to be seen in them. These had "MM opening credits" because the Donald Duck titles had not yet been "invented" at that time, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks