What's new

Dish Net down the pooper (1 Viewer)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
He He. So many people are hitting the Dish Network web site to see what's up - the site has crashed or is refusing new connections.

It's a bit of gallows humor as I have 3 Dish recievers/PVR's and now we wont get MTV or CBS until they settle.

For those of you who have not caught the news:

The contract with Viacom ended Dec 31. This is where Dish gets it's CBS, MTV and other stations from. Dish claims Viacom is forcing them to buy a package of stations and charging 40% more. The package includes many stations Dish does not want/cannot use. Viacom says it's not that bad - just $0.04/subscriber more similar to deals it made with Cox, and DirectTV. Last year's contract has been carried over each month for 3 intervals to give them time to work something out. The last extension ended Monday night so Dish stopped accepting the Viacom feed.

I'm of two minds on this. One is "I want my MTV" :) but in reality it's the lack of CSI that is going to hit my family hard.

This also removes many of the "March Madness" sports programming from Dish.

On the other hand - content providers make billions on advertising (which is what pays for all television programming) and over the last 8 years they have started charging the distributors who carry the shows and advertising. So they are like the government - they get paid both ways.

I suspect Dish will try and stay strong until May sweeps. This is when advertising prices are set. If the lack of viewers reduces the number of people watching the commercials, CBS gets to pay less for advertising. But the television shows are a fixed/increasing cost to Viacom.

The gamble is many Dish subscribers (who have passed their 1 year commitment) may fall back to cable or sign up with DirectTV. But these organizations have already agreed to pay the price-increases Viacom is asking. This means these bills are going to go up in the near future.

Here is the Paradox: Stay loyal to Dish to help fight the trend of Viacom & other content-providers charging both sides or switch services and say it's more important to be able to see CSI/MTV even if it costs me more (Send a message that I support price increases as long as I get my shows).

Kevin T

Screenwriter
.....or turn off your tv and turn on the music. television is make us stupiderer.

kevin t

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
OK..now does that man they won't be carrying the local CBS channel anymore? I ask because I'm waiting on them to install a superdish so I could get local channels. I understand CBS HD is gone though.

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator
Thay depends on your market, Viacom owns some but not all CBS affiliates. I know here in Charlotte we still get the CBS affiliate

Neal_C

Second Unit
There are 16 (I think) O&O markets. If you are in one of these 16, you lost your local CBS. Otherwise, all other markets just have CBS affiliates that are not owned by Viacom.

Neal

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Dish and Viacom have kissed and made up. All the Viacom statons are back on Dish.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks