What's new

Dish HD6000 - Sounds like it's on when it's off? (1 Viewer)

David Benkert

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I have just recently moved my HD6000 to the bedroom for some testing and noticed that when it turns off, it goes quiet and then sounds like it starts up again. The light does not come on and there is no signal so it is turned off. It is just kind of annoying really.

Does anyone know how to make it REALLY turn off without unplugging it? Why would it be doing this anyway?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All satellite receivers are "on" as long as they are plugged in. When you turn them off, you just turn off the video/audio outputs. They are still downloading guide data and any updates that come along. If they really turned off, then it would take a few minutes to boot up each time you turned it on.

-Robert

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I leave mine on cuz its quieter on...LOL

But seriously, if you are a light sleeper DISH sort of sucks. on some mornings at 6am the thing goes "click" when the receiver is queried and/or firmware modified. Quite annoying....

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
I agree the that the 6000's fan noise is really annoying. I only noticed this when I added the HDTV 8vsb card. Every since the noise has always been annoying. It's only a issue if you have the unit in the open, but behind a cabinet door the noise goes away.

I hope to sell my 6000 by the end of this month so I can purchase the new Dish PVR721 which I am praying will have no fan noise. I can't wait till June 28th. It's the release date on the PVR. The good news is for how much the 6000's w/HDTV add-on card have been going on ebay I might be able to break even with the PVR721.

David Benkert

Stunt Coordinator
I just thought there was something I could do with the HD6000. My PVR501 didn't seem to give off as much noise.

Greg, dumb question. Does the 721 do HD? I didn't think it did, but I have not looked that hard yet.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Don't expect to see the 921 until sometime 2003. But when it does come out I am sure it will be a hot seller.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
David, there IS something you can do to reduce fan noise from your Dish6000 as discovered by Steve, a moderator on the SPOT forum -- soldering in a resistor to cut fan noise 75 percent, according to his claim.
Take a look at his mod with pictures HERE. I dont have the unit but I had saved this for "just in case."
bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks