What's new

Dish and Toshiba 52hm95 (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I am sooo excited! I finally got my Toshiba 52HM95 set up and connected to my DISH Hidef PVR (with VOOM! woot!)

The only trouble I have so far is remote fatigue! Both units came with 'universal' remotes - but neither one seems to handle each other! The Dish remote will power on/off and volume and thats about it. (It cannot select inputs and picture size) The Toshiba remote 'select' button does not work on Dish. OF course - both are new and neither is really listed in the others manual (Toshiba does not show a PVR for Dish at all)

So, now what do I do? Get a 3rd party universal? Isn't there a way I can get the Toshiba one to work the Dish receiver? It is just one button away from working! Grrr!

Any ideas?

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
I would go with a third party remote such as a Harmony or Home theater master remote. Both of those will support your equipment and any other device you buy in the future as you upgrade and expand your system. Not to mention those remotes support things such as macros for easy system powering up and down, and switching sources.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I was thinking about that, but the Harmony is $250!

That's alot of beer @ Hooter's just for a remote!

Besides, my last universal the macros had to go to specific keys (with descriptive titles like "macro1", "macro2", etc) - not particulatly helpful when my child just wants to turn on the DVD, Xbox, vcr or whatever. It'd be nice to program a macro to whatever button I wish...

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Pronto Neo 500s are available on ebay as low as $65 ($75 after shipping) and offer a wide range of computer programability and macro control. Buttons can be named ANYTHING, placed anywhere, and logos can even be added. Macro functions can be assigned to any button. Touchscreen remotes are about as versatile as you can get. I have a Pronto 1000 and love it. LCD remotes have a cool factor i like alot too.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
bah! I just bought a Harmony 880 on EBAY. $180 w shiping.

It looks to have a bit more user-friendly interface than the theater master. The Pronto touch screen worries me - I had a Chamelion and it was sometimes difficult to press the button, and they certainly could not be found by touch..

There are things about the harmony which I am uncertain of, but it seems to offer the most for the money... I hopefully can turn on/off the individual components without the macros as well as with - that's my biggest concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks