What's new

Discs that spin very loud-Any ideas? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Sort of a strange problem here. I have an Apex AD-600A, and when I popped in my UHF disc, the player became VERY loud all of a sudden when accessing the menus (the motor on the drive was shaking the unit). I tried a different disc though (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) and it was back to being quiet (no time in between to "cool off" or anything). Any idea why this could be? I could see if it was all discs, but just a few? I've noticed it on other discs as well, but it's particularly bad on UHF.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Chris:
I've just taken my Panasonic RV-31 in to be looked at for this very problem. My problem appears very similar to yours. The best way I can describe the noise that is made is that it's a horrible clunking or grinding sound. The disc doesn't get damaged during any of this either. Here are some other things I've noticed:
- It has happened to me with UHF, From Dusk 'Til Dawn: CE, Ruthless People and The Ultimate DVD: Platinum
- With UHF, this noise occurs during the special features menu as well as the first 2 minutes or so of the movie (both widescreen and full screen versions). The clunking noise slows down gradually as the 2 minutes passes and then disappears completely.
- The other DVDs seem to be along the same lines; the clunking sound only seems to happen for a short period of time (unless, of course you stay at the UHF menu, in which case it would go on forever) and then gradually slows down to a complete stop. Oh yes, and while this horrible sound is happening, the audio/video on the disc are completely unaffected!
It sounds like a problem with the motor. I'll let you know how I make out with the repair. If you would like any other info, just let me know! :)

DanC

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy, I've noticed the same problem with my RV-31 but it doesn't happen too often so I've never really been too worried about it. However, it can be very annoying when it does occurr! Let us know how it turns out.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Strange, but I noticed this once on one of my players when accessing the problematic Blade Runner DVD. It caused a Sony 550 to make nasty, almost grinding-like noises. Just happened once, more than two years ago.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
An odd if irritating phenomenon. On my disc of God's Little Acre which features both the theatrical cut and the uncut version on the same disc, the uncut version spins very loudly for the first 3 minutes (including the titles) before it shuts up but the theatrical version plays quietly.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Same Here! I have a Sony 700, and have never experienced "Loud Discs Spin" until I rented "Skulls 2" and that whole movie spun very loud! All of my other movies still spin very quietly, I've only had problems with "Skulls 2".

Hmmm.....I wonder what causes this sort of problem.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
This happened to me on a regular music CD too, on a CD player. The CD was Sepultura's "Arise", and it was only on that one CD it happened.

Some DVD's make a similar noise, but not as loud. My DVD-player, Pioneer DV-525, is known for being rather noisy too, so I haven't bothered looking into what the problem may be.

Personally, I just think it has to do with a slightly imperfect disc, so that the weight isn't dsitributed evenly across it, and thus it won't spin on a level plane at first, when the speed is highest (it slows down as the movie progresses).

/Mike

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, with laserdiscs, this was always a problem with warped discs. I suppose the same could occur with DVD's if they're warped enough. As it played and the disc speed slowed, it could get better or worse depending on how it was warped.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Yes, this happens to me with my Panasonic, usually during menus or supplements. Grind, groan.:frowning:

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I have experienced the viciously load grinding noise (menus only) with any number of disks on my Toshiba 3109.

Ted

Butch C

Second Unit
My Panny rv31 does the same and I used to use the lens cleaning disk simply because it would stop it for a week or so...Ive noticed it only happens now with the menus of particullarly filthy netflix disks (the blockbuster pieces of crap pobably would explode my player)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Well, I got my Panny back from the shop...
Their diagnosis is simply that some discs are slightly warped. I checked UHF and it appeared to be pretty flat, but I suppose minor variations could have an impact. 99% percent of discs that I play make no noise, and the ones that do might just require some bending. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks