What's new

Disabling/Minimizing Red Push... How? (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Maybe this fits better in the TV area.
Anybody know how to disable/minimize red-push? The TV is a Samsung and there is RCUT, BCUT and GCUT under the service menu. It's been too long since the last time I've fiddled with those controls.
So... can anybody remind me what parameters needs to be changed to disable/minimize red-push?
THanX beforehand.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
NO. NO. NO!!!!!!
Do not adjust the cut and gain controls while attempting to adjust the color decoder. The cut and gain controls change the grayscale, not the color decoder. If you adjust those controls you will ruin the grayscale.
Only color decoder axis and gain controls are used for correcting red push. The actual name or even existence of those controls vary from model to model. A service manual may give that data, but is usually quite cryptic.
Never adjust a service menu item unless you fully understand what that control does.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
When you are actually correcting a color decoder you examine the red, green, and blue guns in full isolation by cutting them off. Filters do only a partial isolation of the primaries so gun cut-off or lens capping is best. Because only one primary color is examined at a time, the effect of grayscale don't come into play as you check the color bars. So, no. You actually don't have to set grayscale first if you are properly doing a color decoder adjustment. Since grayscale problems affect both the colored bars AND the gray reference portions of the color bars, problems in grayscale are already accounted for.
You'd first set saturation and hue using blue only as normal. Then adjust the decocder axes and gains while viewing in red or green only. Finally, you'd go back and make sure all three primary colors are decoding such all three are matching the amount of the same primary in gray.
You can do it in either order. Now if you are doing it informally by looking at how bright let's say red looks to the naked eye (no filter, no cut off of guns) then you HAVE to do gray scale first.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I have the service manual but I can't seem to find the red push control. Also, Samsung tech support is virtually,... no... literally, non-existent.

Chris Biggs

Stunt Coordinator
Guy,
Do you happen to know what Pioneer calls the decoder adjustments in the service menu?
Many thanks,
Chris Biggs

Chuck Edwards

Auditioning
The decoder adjustments will -not- be R,G,B-cut, drive, gain, or screen. Any other control names that have a color, and perhaps the letter Y, may the decoder controls.
What are the name of the color controls in the service menus for Samsung and Pioneer?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Not every set has parameters for adjusting the color decoder. For instance, Toshiba's and Mitsubishi's don't (anymore).
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics
[Edited last by JohnnyG on November 01, 2001 at 11:06 AM]

Sean_S

Auditioning
JohnnyG,
Have you found any way to adjust the color decoder on the Tosh HX series? ADDR service menu??? I've noticed that my 57HX81's color decoder has green 'pull', or 'underpush'. Red and blue are within 5% on the color decoder check on AVIA, but green is about -10%. Have you also noticed this anomaly with green on other Tosh sets?
Sean

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
If you can't adjust it via the service menu then you will need an external attenuator.
See this thread for details on red push and how some Mitsubishi owners have tamed it.

Chris Biggs

Stunt Coordinator
If the service mode doesn't have adjustments, then how can an ISF tech fix them?
Just wondering...

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Sean_S, I don't think anybody has this information. In this years sets, there are a bunch of numbered parameters in the regular service menu, but since there are no corresponding mnemonics, it's impossible to know what they do without fiddling. My guess is that colour decoder parameters are in there somewhere, but I haven't heard of anyone figuring any of it out yet.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics
[Edited last by JohnnyG on November 03, 2001 at 12:57 PM]

Robert Mayrand

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Have you found any info on how to get into samsung service menu and on some tweaking possibilities. I just purchase a TXL3676 and would like to get more info. Where did you get the service manual and is it helpfull?

Thank

Rob

Montreal, Quebec

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks