What's new

DirecTV or Dish Network? (1 Viewer)

Matt Mishkoff

Auditioning
I'm thinking about getting a dish system at home to replace the digital cable I currently have. DirecTV and Dish seem pretty comparable on price, so I'm wondering what other features might distinguish the two of them?

And in receivers, any brands/models to recommend? I don't need a PVR unit (already have Tivo), and I'm not concerned with HD at this time. I would just want a high quality receiver that has good digital outputs for video and surround sound.

Thanks!

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Good Luck,
I moved from Houston (where I had a C-Band sat. system since 1984, movie channels cost me $120 PER YEAR!) to Foley Ala. and into a subdivision where C-Band Dishes are not allowed. Called the local Dish Network dealer and had that thing installed. (Movie channels @ $65 PER MONTH) Everytime it almost rained, did rain, the system went down. After 2 service calls, Dealer said it was common for this to happen, that this was the downside of this type system. After my contract was up, that junk was in the mail back at em'. I now have so called "Digital Cable", and the audio isn't digital at all (no digital out on the reciever) but it does work when it rains. ($45 PER MONTH)
The dealer said "It's called , GOTCHA". I'm thinking of puttin in a c-band anyway. At least it will work when it rains, and I can buy the channels "I" watch from NPS. Telivision has gone to crap anyway, might just rent DVD's for the same money, (alot better sound) instead of watchin the same movies over and over again.

That's my feeling.....Take you chanches..you might have the better system now and don't know it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
(already have Tivo),
So you know how good they are. Sell it on Ebay and buy a Hughes HRDV2 DirecTivo. Dual tuners, records the bit stream directly from the dish so there is no loss in quality with either picture or sound. $5/month (or free) compared to $12/month for stand alone Tivos. Also the one Tivo fee covers ALL DirecTivos on your account.

How many receivers do you need? Are you planning on installing it yourself?

Meaux's rain fade problem sounds like a poor installation and the "professional" didn't want to come back and fix it. Rain fade does happen but it has to be pouring down. During the last big storm, we were getting about 1/2" an hour and I never lost my signal. If it is raining hard enough to cause the signal to fade, it doesn't last more than 15 or 20 minutes.

-Robert

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
>Robert: Meaux's rain fade problem sounds like a poor installation and the "professional" didn't want to come back and fix it.

LOL, yes Robert, that's gotta be it. After the bad taste wears off in a few years, I'll try Direct TV.

Cheers

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
There is not much of a difference in the two offerings, nor in their STBs. Both Dish and DirectTV’s basic STBs lack digital audio output. DirectTV had some STBs that had digital audio, but not HD. I believe that they are being phased out in favor of HD STBs (which all have 5.1 audio output). However you can probably still find some models in various stores that are not HD, but do have 5.1 audio.

I’m pretty sure that this is the case with Dish’s STBs as well, but I’m not as familiar with Dish.

There are more differences in the HD offerings, but you have indicated that you are not interested in HD.

I have never experienced one signal drop out due to rain since July. It was about 10 minutes.

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Well Lew, ya lost me with the "STD" thing, I'm guessin that"HD" means high definition. I've spent a few good bucks on my HT and would like to get the most out of it. I'm confused on what type of cables to use on the colorstream/bitstream hookup. Regular audio RCA's, or 75ohm coax? (w/RCA ends)

Tosh.50H81
McIntosh mac-3 ac-3 pre
Tosh. SD4800 DVD
Adcom 7000 5ch. amp
Adcom 555 2ch. sub amp
2-JBL 4410's rears
2-JBL 4312's fronts
2-DCM 07's centers
2-12" rs subs

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Oops, sorry. I was in a hurry and did not take the time to be clear.

Set Top Box (STB) is a term often used to describe an external tuner (sometimes also called a receiver), especially one used for satellite reception. This term is also sometimes used to describe an external tuner designed for over-the-air (OTA) telecasts.

They are necessary to properly receive and tune satellite signals because the signals do not arrive in a format that is acceptable to internal TV tuners.

These STBs come in two general types: Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD). Some SD STBs have a digital audio output that can be connected to your audio receiver. These STBs will pass the DD (5.1 if present) to your audio receiver. This allows you to get DD 5.1 when present.

All HD STBs have a digital, Dolby audio output. Most (maybe all) HD STBs will also tune OTA signals, including digital and HD signals. So you don’t have to buy two tuners. As most of the current HD telecasts in my area are OTA, this is a decided advantage.

Hope this helps. I can go into much more detail, but I’m starting to bore myself.

I don’t know what type of video inputs your TV will accept, as I’m not familiar with that model. However should you go with a satellite service, run the 75 ohm coax from the dish to the STB. Then connect one of these types of cables, listed in order of preference: DVI or component, S-Video, composite, coax.

Only the newest sets will allow DVI inputs, so this is likely not an issue. Unless you have a HD-capable set, you will likely not have component inputs. Probably your set will have an S-Video input, if not it will almost for sure have a composite (the yellow RCA-input) input.

All of the STBs with which I am familiar have S-Video outputs (though there might be some that only have composite). All of the HD STBs have component outputs as well as S-Video and composite.

So run the best connection that your equipment will allow from your STB to your TV. Piece of cake.

For the audio portion, if you purchased a STB with a digital output run that to your audio receiver (make sure that you get a STB that has the same type of digital output (optical or digital coax) as your receiver. This takes care of the 5.1 audio. If yor STB does not have a digital audio output, you will have to fall back on the two RCA audio connections, which means that you will get two-channel sound (though it is likely that your receiver will decode to surround).

Since you want 5.1 sound, you might consider going the HD STB now. This will be a couple of hundred more, but worth it, if you are going to get a new set sometime in the future.

Good luck.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Most (maybe all) HD STBs will also tune OTA signals, including digital and HD signals.
The OTA only STB's tune in OTA signals (obviously). All DirecTV HD receivers will work with OTA HD and SD signals. The Dishnetwork HD6000 will tune in OTA HD and SD with the optional 8VSB adapter. To receive Discovery HD, it needs the 8PSK module. The Dishnetwork 5000 model only tunes in HD and SD satellite signals and outputs an 8VSB signal on channel 3. Even though it is discontinued, it is a popular receiver with the HD recording crowd. It will not tune in Discovery HD.

-Robert

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,
I LOVE DirecTV!!!:D
I have been displaced from my house for a few months thanks to plumbing and mold probs and have had to stay in an apt. complex which has the most basic cable TV you have seen. I'm talking there are 4 premiums, one channel each of HBO, SHO, MAX and TMC. Very antiquated!!!
Anyway, I will finally be moving back into my house in the next week or so and am looking so forward to having my DirecTV again!!! In fact, have just purchased the HDRV2, DirecTivo and am very excited about getting to use that!
I have talked to some people who have Dish and they weren't overly excited about it. The one thing Dish has that I wish DTV has is HBO Comedy channel. My uncle at Xmas loves his Dish though.
Good luck and happy viewing!!!
Shana

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
Matt,
I have DirecTV with a basic Phillips receiver and it works great. The picture is amazing and I am not even using s-video for the picture. I am using good quality interconnects by Tributaries and Monster. The sound is also very good when using Dolby Pro Logic II through my preamp.

DougKuhn

Stunt Coordinator
I can not say would be much of a help with this topic..but I have experienced both products. I originally had Dish and they gave me a hard time when I told them I was moving. Their package had only included moving two recievers and they said there was a $100 charge or so to move the equipment to the new house (3 miles up the road) because I had three receivers. So I cancelled...and received several bills for hundreds of dollars monthly (after my move) due to confusion with the return of their equipment. Very frustrating if I do say so....
Since, I have been with DirecTV since August and can say that I am very happy with their service. Ordering channels and movies online has been flawless as well as prompt as one can expect (minutes). I also prefer the DirecTV menuing and other "on the TV" menuing over Dish Network.
HTH:)

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Matt,
Many thigs to consider. I have had Directv for 5 years now. Back then my only other choice was cable which sucked, Ghost pictures, shi**y customer service( actually no service), and sky high bills. I have had minor issues with DTV but overall quite happy. They will reward you if you ask if you are a long time customer if you call for offers. But right now, I don't have locals here in Tulsa and Dish does. I am seriously considering switching for locals. The cost is very similar for programing. Also consider sports pay per view if you want them. Dish now has Center Ice(the only one I buy), and Direct just signed a contract extenion with NFL Sunday Ticket.
don't need a PVR unit (already have Tivo), and I'm not concerned with HD at this time.
I would think about directivo if I were you. Intergrated receiver has a better picture due to no mpeg receiver and set up other stand alone in bedroom.
Here are two forums I visit that will help:
Similar forum style to here good info
Better info, more technical IMO
Good luck!

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
I have DirecTv w/ tivo as well and it's been great. I have no complaints so far. The only time I have lost my signal was during a heavy snow storm when the snow piled up on my dish. So I had to play Clark Griswold and climb on my roof to dust it off. Someone mentioned there is no Digital audio on DirecTv. Although I haven't tried it, I was told that the PPV movies do output 5.1 audio. Is this true?

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
I am a DirecTV customer and am quite happy. Im looking into the HD set top boxes, Any recommendations?

Dolby Digital 5.1 is available (hit and miss) on the Premium channels, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and Stars as well as some PPV. It sounds great!

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Is it easy to sign up or are there credit checks and long waiting lists, for either Direct or Dish? not that i mind waiting. Also I have read a couple of posts about rain and snow messing up the signal and i live in New England we seem to be getting alot of snow recently, is it worth it? Or will i keep losing the signal. I really don't want to sign up for cable TV as the prices just seem to be going up and the quality down.

thanks

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Jassen, I live in MA as well and I have absolutely no problem with Dish Network. There were a couple of times that I lost the signal when there were terrential downpours but no where near the amount of times that cable went out. Seemed like no rhyme or reason why cable went out. There shouldn't be a longer wait time than cable either as you just have to schedule an appointment and for me it was the next week from when I made the call. Don't do cable....you'll regret it.

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
DirecTV is taking care of me. I called yesterday to tell them I wanted a new receiver installed, they are selling me the upgraded oval dish with free installation for $49 plus $14.95 s/h. Heck of a better deal than UE wanted, $99 for the dish not including installation.

I want my DirecTivo!

RobertSing

Agent
My two cents -

I am a very satisfied Direct TV customer. I'm a big sports fan ... the NFL Sunday Ticket Package is only available on Direct TV. That was the main deciding factor for me.

NateD

Auditioning
NFL sunday ticket was my main selling point as well. Nobody else had it and since they just renewed, nobody else is going to have it for awhile. I've been happy with DirecTV and will be picking up a combo tivo unit this weekend.

The only thing that annoyed me is that I'm not technically a Directv customer, I have to go through a middleman called Pegasus. You may have to do this depending on your zipcode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks