What's new

DirecTV NEW HD Channel (1 Viewer)

DIRECTV Launches Fourth Dedicated High-Definition Channel
24-hour Channel Features Pay Per View Movies from Major Hollywood Studios

Las Vegas*Jan 9, 2003** DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading digital satellite television service provider, announced today the launch of its fourth high-definition television (HDTV) channel. The new channel is dedicated exclusively to pay per view movies from New Line Cinema, DreamWorks and MGM.
Launched today on DIRECTV® channel 198, the new HDTV channel will offer movies for purchase on a pay per view basis for $4.99 each.
The new HDTV pay per view channel joins three other dedicated HDTV channels available from DIRECTV: HBO® HDTV, SHOWTIME HDTV® and HDNet. HDNet is available exclusively to DIRECTV customers. Under terms of its new five-year agreement with the National Football League for exclusive rights to NFL SUNDAY TICKET, DIRECTV also plans to begin offering high-definition telecasts of professional football games during the 2003 regular NFL season. Additional enhancements to the DIRECTV HDTV programming lineup are expected throughout the year.
"DIRECTV was the first to launch an HDTV channel for customers back in 1998, and we intend to remain a leader in this new and developing technology," said Stephanie Campbell, senior vice president, Programming, DIRECTV, Inc. "We remain focused on providing the most compelling HDTV content to consumers, which in the near term is movies and sports. As this content category continues to develop, we look forward to delivering more choices and variety in HDTV programming to our customers."

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Screw the damn PPV, here is what I am interested in :
"also plans to begin offering high-definition telecasts of professional football games during the 2003 regular NFL season."
:)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Robert,
Even the new receivers with DVI still have component video connections for HD.

DirecTV also announced an HD-capable DirecTivo should arrive by the end of the year. Will also have terrestrial digital tuner for ota HD broadcasts and will have component as well as DVI outputs.

DarrinH

Second Unit
I am new to this, what is DVI?
What are the #'s for the other channels?
Are these four channels all on one satellite?
Where is the best place to pick up a high def receiver?
I have a Sony XBR400 which does 480p and 1080i, will the HD receiver (Direct TV) connected to the component inputs give me the HD signal on the TV?
I suppose the TV will display it properly with the letterboxing, correct?
I am a current subscriber but not with the oval dish.
I take it that I would need to buy another circular one with a special LNB? Then aim at the second satellite?
Please fill this newbie HD in.

Mark Lee

Second Unit
More HD NFL, eh? This may be just the nudge I need to take the plunge and get DirecTV!! (Just bought a HD STB, but I've been contenting myself w/OTA broadcasts up 'til now....):emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So are the HD PPV content in OAR? Anyone know yet?

How 'bout picture quality?

Thanks.

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
a second of the first question...
what is dvi?

will the movies be oar and will 5.1 sound be available?

ok edit...

when will the movies be oar and 5.1?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i dont think all the movies are oar i just watched the beginning of SPIRIT and it was not.

there should have been slight black bars on the top and bottom for spirit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks