What's new

DirecTV H10 or H20 for OTA only? (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I'm looking for an inexpensive OTA box and I've noticed these units run fairly cheaply on eBay. The only thing I'm not sure about it whether these boxes need a satellite connection in order to receive the local OTA channels. I really just want the OTA functionality but not the DirecTV service. Do either of these models work as strictly standalone units without a DirecTV dish/subscription?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I'm 99% sure neither of these units allow OTA without DirecTV subscription. My H20's wouldn't get anything before I activated them.

Some of the older boxes do, but I'm not sure which models to tell you to look for.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Is there another inexpesive OTA STB that anyone could recommend? I'm looking to stay below $100 if possible.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
There are some used units around and off Ebay.

If you could trust a buyer, many of the old VOOM boxes could receive OTA if they had been previously activated and disconnected from the service before getting the OFF signal. I've seen many of those for under $50, BUT there is a chance trusting someone selling a deactivated or never subscribed unit.

Radio Shack blew out their Accurian line for $70 last year and can be had from the 'scroungers' on Ebay who sell them new for well more than they paid.
It was an OK unit with some. I know of one for sell locally (to me) that seems to work fine, but the owner moved to DirecTV and doesn't need it anymore.

Used Samsungs 451's

What I can dig up on DirecTV:
RCA-DTC100 -- older original HD unit
HTL-HD -- need more recent software 2.01.00 and apparently can be had cheap
Samsung 360 with access card but no sub
??LG LST-3200A with access card but no sub
Toshiba DTC3000
Hughes HIRD E8/E86 -- watch out for burned out units since this one was notorious for running very hot

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I know this isn't the selling area, but I just upgraded my DirecTV HD Box from the HIRD-E8 to the H20. It's yours for $50 shipping included. If you are interested. It will work fine for off air HD without any Directv Subscription. I'm not sure if I have the Manual around.. I'll have to check tomorrow. I should have it in my instruction box. I just can't get to in at the moment.

Private message me. I can accept paypal, check or MO. Remote included.

Or I can list it privetly on ebay for you if you want the extra secruity of ebay, but you'll find I have 100% positive feedback with over 900 transactions since 1997. Same user name on ebay. (Homthtr),

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks