What's new

Direct veiw HDTV (1 Viewer)

Danny Brasco

Auditioning
I am not a fan of projection TV's yet it seems that if you want a 16:9 HDTV, there are way more choices in projection TV's as opposed to direct view. I have seen a couple of 34' HDTV's and a 38' by RCA/Proscan. Does anyone know if there will be any 38' or larger direct view TV's made by better brands any time soon?

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I know Samsung also makes a 16:9 direct view set, it is a 40". I dont know if it is a better brand than the RCA tho.

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
LOEWE has a 38" 16:9 direct view set called the ACONDA I believe- supposed to be great and if it's anything like the other LOEWE sets I've seen it should be nice. The price is a little steep- $5000 or around that.
hope this helps
------------------
zaphod
end of transmission...

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
It might be a good idea to sit yourself down and have a chat with the part of yourself that doesn't like RPTV's.
I remember on of the first time I saw one in a high end shop almost twenty years ago. They had a hockey game on and while the size was impressive, the clarity was garbage. I walked away not liking RPTV's.
Fast forward to last year when I acquired a new HD ready RPTV and a STB decoder. The clarity, sharpness and color are incredible. To view a show such as CSI or NYPD Blue shows detail I can't explain.
As time ticks by, the prices are falling. A Toshiba 57" HD Ready set can be had for around $2500. Break it in, get it calibrated and you're good to go. What's not to like?

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
Phillips makes a 38" direct view set which I have seen at Circuit City. It has an outstanding picture. I believe it's $3500 when you can find it on sale.
SMK

Danny Brasco

Auditioning
John Tilman,
For starters, that fact that you need to get a RPTV calibrated is a negative to me. Plus I hear that this is not a one-time thing. You will probably have to get the set calibrated a few times throughout its life.
Second, while in a store, they had a direct view set next to RPTV and let me tell you, there was no comparison. The direct view was much more brighter and clearer than the RPTV. Also the analog signals on the RPTV was more grainy than the direct view. Now I know that chances are that the set was not calibrated but I can't imagine it making that much of a difference.
Lastly, while its nice have a huge screen to view, I don't like the fact that RPTV's are basically a huge box that takes up lots of space. Set top TV's are much more convenient on a stand or entertainment center of some sort where the rest of the home theater equipment can be stored.
Look, everyone has there own opinions and I appreciate what you wrote but, with the above explaination, you can see that I am pretty stuck on direct view TV's.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
Brian,
Samsung does make a 40" but you are right it is not a direct veiw.
[Edited last by Juan_R on October 24, 2001 at 10:31 AM]

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Hey Danny,
I just spent the last hour on the phone with my buddy trying to tell him the exact same thing. I spent two days looking at RPTVs and when I was done shopping, none of the pictures could compare with that RCA 38" Direct View. I was comparing the HDTVs with the exact same signal going to each one and I compared an HDTV signal, A DVD with componnent video inputs and the rotten NTSC cable they had in the store. Every time the Direct View looked better. It could be that after all the tweaks that a RPTV might be better but I find it hard to believe that in the store the Direct View is the best but after I tweak it, all of a sudden the RPTVs are going to look better?
I'm stuck on Direct View too and the RCA is just barely big enough for me but I didn't like other things about it. Just the size, the picture and the price. Since we are in the same boat, I hope you will tell me if you find a set you fall in love with. I'm hoping that Panasonic will make a 38" or larger soon. Does anyone know anything about that? Because I am ready to by now.

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
Sony makes the 40XBR700. 40" 4:3 flat-screen HD-ready set. It's a beast- weighs in at over 300lbs. It'll give you a 36" 16:9 screen size for HD and DVD along with the 40" 4:3 screen size for video games and NTSC signals.
It was reviewed in the latest Perfect Vision. I think the price may be more than you're looking for though- $3500.
hope this helps.
------------------
zaphod
end of transmission...

Danny Brasco

Auditioning
I don't know how but, I'm going to try to be patient on this one. I saw the 40" Sony and it is awesome but I really have my heart set on a 16:9. So, I will also wait for Panasonic, Sony or any other of the top names to come out with a 38" or bigger 16:9 HDTV. It's only a matter of time before they do and hopefully, prices will be with in reason by then. I just hope that my patient holds up.
So if anyone does hear anything about a direct view of 38" or larger coming out by a decent brand, please let us know!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks