Panasonic 47" widescreen need risers?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Stephen Hopkins, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Yesterday I drove from Atlanta to Panama City Beach to buy a Panasonic 47" Widescreen HDTV from a fellow HTF member for $750. Amazing deal and I'm very happy w/ the set, especially after an hours worth of calibrating.

But I started to notice while sitting on my not-so-plush couch (came w/ the dorm/apartment) that I was looking directly at about 2/3 of the way UP the screen. I had to slouch to get what seemes to be the apropriate viewing angle. Today I went to Home Depot and got some cinder blocks and I have it sitting 8" higher and it's really close to the correct position, maybe an inch too high (I plan to make a drape to cover the blocks tomorrow. I'm veiwing from about 10 feet away.

Has anyone else w/ one of these sets, or similar, found this problem? I assumed since it had wheels that it was meant to be a floor set and not a table top set... Does anyone else out there have one of these sets on any kind of riser? If so, how high?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

anyone?

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

No need for risers with my Panny 47.. Guess it depends on the size of your couch.

Kevin

4. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

$750 is a good deal. Did you go get it at gun point [​IMG]

Which one do you have, 42 or 52?

5. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

As I said in my original post, I have the 47" 16:9 Panasonic model 47WX49. I came across the deal from another HTF member who'd hit some hard times financially and needed to sell quickly. It was a bit out of the way to pick it up (4 and a half hours each way) but well worth it.

6. Matthew-K

Matthew-K Stunt Coordinator

I had the same idea as you. I raised mine 47/49 about a foot of the floor. I like to watch it a eye level or a little higher.[​IMG]

7. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

I built a 14" or so riser for mine to accomadate the three rows of theater seats I plan on installing (only have two for now). It did the trick.

8. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

How does having it raised 14" affect viewing from the first row? When I get my TV home for the summer I'm going to have a 10" riser w/ a couch on it behind 2 recliners, and I would like a good viewing angle for the second row, but first row viewing is still most critical.

Thanks [​IMG]