What's new

Direct Graphic DVD Comparisons now Online! (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
One more...
Platinum Disc Corporation - Region 0 - NTSC "The Lady Vanishes" vs. Carlton Visual Entertainment - Region 0 - PAL vs. Criterion Collection - Region 0 - NTSC vs. Criterion (2-disc RE-Mastered) - Region 1- NTSC vs. Concorde Region 2 - PAL
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/
Cheers,

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
re: Fantastic Planet

The review mentions that the now OOP Anchor Bay edition (which I own) utilizes a 4:3 full-screen image. It is, in fact, 1.66:1 widescreen--though I believe still non-animorphic.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the Annchor edition of Fantastic Planet is non-anamorphic 1.66:1, but the transfer is otherwise excellent and bonus short films are terrific - Monkey's Teeth (1960, 14 mins), Dead Times (1964, 10 mins) and The Snails (1965, 11 mins). No other DVDs have the former two shorts, so this is a unique edition from Anchor. It would nice to see them re-issue it was a new anamorphic transfer.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Gary, in your Berlin Alexanderplatz comparison you talk about the extras and how the two editions vary.

Discs 1-6 in the set are devoted almost entirely to the episodes of Berlin Alexanderplatz, saving disc 7 for a whopping collection of special features. The one exception is the hour-long documentary made last year, "A Mega Movie and Its Story," which appears on disc 6 along with episode 14.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Funny, my notes support that - I suppose I incorrectly translated that fact to the review.
Proof:

By the way, it is progressive on the Criterion, but that doc is interlaced on the Second Sight.
I've also added this comment that appeared on our ListServ:
NOTE: '...And why has Criterion picture-boxed this TV film. Every professional DP has taken the overscan into account, because every TV set it was broadcasted in (at the time) had overscan.' (Thanks Per-Olaf!)
Thanks for being so observant Paul.
Best,
Gary

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
2 more...
Arte Video - Region 2 - PAL "The Man With the Movie Camera" vs. Absolut Medien - Region 0 - PAL vs. British Film Institute - Region 2 - PAL
Criterion - Region 0 - NTSC "Les Diaboliques" vs. Arrow Films - Region 0 - PAL
Best,

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to post this on a SD thread, but Gary, I'm wondering how you did those screencaps for HD DVD and Blu-ray discs. In PowerDVD Ultra, the screencap feature is disabled for HD discs. And pressing Print Screen gives me a black screen because PDVD uses overlay. Do you rip the movie onto hard disk first?

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Per-Olaf added the BFI Edition with the Nyman score...
Arte Video - Region 2 - PAL "The Man With a Movie Camera" vs. Absolut Medien - Region 0 - PAL vs. British Film Institute (Nyman Edition) - Region 2 - PAL vs. British Film Institute - Region 2 - PAL
Our comparison of the two new Nosferatu's (Kino/MoC) should be ready tomorrow.
Best,
Gary

DanMel

Second Unit
I would like to see dvd beaver do a comparison between the Legend films March of the Wooden Soldiers (Babes In Toyland) and the new MGM version in the Christmas box set. I have watched them both and I think the legend films version is too bright and the new version may be a little too dark at times. It is also not a sharp in picture quality as I thought it might be. I certainly do not agree with the dvdtalk reviewer that called the new MGM version as great looking as the the new three stooges box set. That is taking it a bit far. It looks pretty good but certainly not in the new Sony three stooges catagory for picture quality. Also for what it is worth the new mgm version is 15 seconds longer than the legend film version and that is from after the beginning credits to before the end credits.

Below are the DVD talk reviewer's comments with no mention of the legend films version which is for certain of better quality than the Passport and Goodtimes versions.

"The big news is that Babes in Toyland looks fantastic. Previously available on DVD only as gray-market releases by Passport and Goodtimes, among others, this authorized release really sparkles. I've seen the film a dozen times over the years, but no previous release even comes close; it's up to the level of Fox's recent Charlie Chans and Sony's new boxed set of early Three Stooges comedies, all of the same vintage. The film is also complete with its original title, the MGM logo, etc., and runs its original length (TV syndication and previous home video versions were cut by as much as nine minutes.) The mono audio is also cleaner than this reviewer has heard before. Optional English, Spanish, and French subtitles are included."

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
New...
Criterion - Region 1 - NTSC "Sansho the Bailiff" vs. Eureka (Masters of Cinema with Gion Bayashi) - Region 2 - NTSC
In the Nosferatu comparison I will be replacing captures throughout the day. Our conclusion doesn't change but I'll get the 'head chopped' still in there as well as some others. Ex.
Masters of Cinema

Kino

Best,
Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks